Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

XP: Help with business Casual

I'm just XP from the Nest.

I'm starting a new job on Monday and the dress is business casual. I saw most people in some kind of sorta dress pants and whatever shirts (not t-shirts). I'd like to do a little better than just whatever shirts. I only have one pair of pants that fit me now (brown) and one pair of black flats that are nice enough. I do have some heeled black and brown boots, but I don't know how comfortable I'm going to be wearing them.

I have maybe 2-300 to spend. I'm 5"10 and 160. I guess I need an entire wardrobe of business casual. Oh, I do have a really nice winter jacket.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions on things to get and links things you love and would suggest I look at.

Sorry, a little bit of a post and run as I'm training my replacement today at my old job

"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs

Re: XP: Help with business Casual

• Options
    Maybe a couple of nice sweaters or button-downs since the cold weather is approaching?  (Although you're in Kentucky so I don't know how cold it is down there, I've never been).  I love Ann Taylor Loft and NY&Co. for my business casual attire.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Yeah, sweaters will be good. And yeah, it gets effin cold here. Well, I say that, it's cold for us. It gets down in the teens in the middle of winter.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    I'd go with sweater sets and non-jean pants. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2010
    Also for shoes: my MIL gave me a pair of nice black slingbacks with kitten heels last year.  LOVE them, and they're so perfect for work, not too high and very comfortable.

*EDIT: too, not to *facepalm*

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I love NY&Co too, but you could easily blow your budget on 1 outfit there. I got my outfit for my final interview there and it was $200. Hehe. Maybe wander through there for style inspiration but then try to track down similar outfits from Macy's or Kohl's. You'll get more bang for your buck. :)

Speaking of NY&Co I love love love the argyle sweaters that they're carrying right now. You can wear a tank/shirt under it for more casual, or a button down hard collared shirt for a more professional look. You could wear it with a pencil skirt & knee high boots, or pants, or whatever. Love love love. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I have my eye on one of those cardis. MIL randomly called me and said she had some Khols cash, so she's taking me shopping there after work. That will help the budget a little lol.
  • Options
    I know that Target also has some more dressy work casual clothes.  You are probably good to go with the Kohl's cash and your budget though.  They always have great deals and great work outfits.  You won't blow your budget there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Macys clearance usually has decent prices, a bunch of stuff under 30, and quite a bit under 15:

There's a decent argyle cardigan for $12
    A flowy black open-front sweater for $30
    White ruffled button-down for $15
  • Options
    Target, Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, Love Culture, TJ Maxx & Marshall's are a treasure trove of cheap business casual pieces, you just have to be patient and sometimes DIG through racks. 

You can never, ever go wrong with cardigans.  I wear them over my more dressy summer clothes along with tights/leggings & boots.  I have a lot of cheap tank tops from Old Navy that have lace along the trim and I pair those with cute cardigans & sweaters with skirts and/or khakis.  I buy a lot of the cheap, thin belts from Target and when I buy tunics or longer tops (even dresses) from Forever 21 (I tend to buy the biggest size they have for length) I just use the belts to give the top more shape and pair it with leggings & boots or slim fit pants.  I tend to always buy pieces in black, brown, white or grey which I guess is boring but eventually everything in my closet can be paired with something somehow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Marshall's has a ton of sweaters and great shirts and pants for business casual. I know TJMax tends to carry a lot fo the same things if there isn't Marshall's near you. Their clearence racks are even better.
  • Options
    I would check the sale ads and find something with a lot of button-ups on sale.  I wear button-ups with everything - you can get some with more sheen to wear with black pants, and I also have some cotton ones that I can also wear with jeans on the weekends.  

If you find a pair of black pants that fits well, I would just buy a few more pairs of that same style.  

• Options
    I would go with Kohl's - I've found some nice work pants and sweaters there.

also if you need to update your shoe wardrobe try Aerosoles (you can go on line www.aerosoles.com they have comfy shoes/boots in all heel heights).

Good Luck - I'm in almost the same position - currently waiting on the results of my "pre-screen"  drug test/medical check up so that I can give my notice and start a new job!
  • Options
    I'd hit AT Loft. I don't know what they've got right this minute, but they always have tons of cute cardigans and tops that you can mix and match, and I've gotten a lot of sweaters for $10-15 between sales and coupons. Get a few pieces there, a few basic tees to go with them at Forever 21, and you're set.
  • Options
    Loft, White House | Black Market are my go-to places there in town, and where the bulk of my dress pants are from.  Also good is the outlet mall up by Indy.  You can sign up for their coupons online, and print them out.  Plus the office there will give you more.  And then whatever sales they have. 

I have a few sweaters from the Limited, and one or two from NYCo as well.  Kohls is great for miscellaneous stuff, shirts to layer, and the occasional sweater. 

What's the new job?  Did I miss that post? 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I agree with going the  TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross Dress for Less route.  Target has some cute work-wear, as well.

I'd suggest picking up a black pair of pants and maybe another neutral - perhaps gray.  Maybe a pair of black pumps.  A few different shirts/blouses in solid colors and maybe a black cardigan and another neutral toned cardigan - cream maybe?  You can then mix and match your pieces to have a lot of differen outfit combos.  If you have enough left in your budget - maybe a black skirt or dress.
  • Options
    You're 5'10"? I always thought you were a short little thing, like 5'2" or something. I guess it's just because your H is so tall; isn't he like 6'10"?
  • Options
    What I've found to be beneficial over my 5 years of working in an office are a pair of black dress pants, a pair of gray dress pants, and a black skirt.  I mostly only buy things in black/white/gray/pink so I can mix and match all of it. 

I'm also a big fan of cardigans and wear them almost all winter over my summery tops.

I have a few skirt/jacket sets from JC Penney that I got on sale for about $30 each.  I like those becuase I can wear them in the summer with heels or in the winter with leggins and boots.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_xp-business-casual?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0c8a5a5f-c6be-4053-8e92-8fc50c51c2d9Post:2eee127e-91bd-4868-93d7-89957b655d61">Re: XP: Help with business Casual</a>:
    [QUOTE]Loft, White House | Black Market are my go-to places there in town, and where the bulk of my dress pants are from.  Also good is the outlet mall up by Indy.  You can sign up for their coupons online, and print them out.  Plus the office there will give you more.  And then whatever sales they have.  I have a few sweaters from the Limited, and one or two from NYCo as well.  Kohls is great for miscellaneous stuff, shirts to layer, and the occasional sweater.  What's the new job?  Did I miss that post? 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Sorry, busy today!
    Yeah, I'm working somewhere as a customer service person. But it's with corporate customers, not the general public. There's lots of room to grow with the company though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_xp-business-casual?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0c8a5a5f-c6be-4053-8e92-8fc50c51c2d9Post:b7e47e66-9410-4af9-bae6-79cda5b43432">Re: XP: Help with business Casual</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're 5'10"? I always thought you were a short little thing, like 5'2" or something. I guess it's just because your H is so tall; isn't he like 6'10"?
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm 5"10 and he's 6"10. He does make me look tiny!
  • Options
    Haha wow LVB I always thought you were shorter too (just by your pics). I'm 5'9" - you're taller than me!! :)
  • Options
    And just to clarify, I'm not saying you're big or anything.

I was at Old Navy this weekend, and they're having a big sale on all the work stuff, and they had some KEWT sweaters. I got a couple of button-up shirts.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_xp-business-casual?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0c8a5a5f-c6be-4053-8e92-8fc50c51c2d9Post:b7e47e66-9410-4af9-bae6-79cda5b43432">Re: XP: Help with business Casual</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're 5'10"? I always thought you were a short little thing, like 5'2" or something. I guess it's just because your H is so tall; isn't he like 6'10"?
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing! lol
  • Options
    As a side note, your feet might trouble you a bit in the beginning wearing heels and if you're on your feet a lot, but they'll get used to it.  I'd actually recommend something with a bit of a platform, as weird as it sounds.  It helps with the angle and the pressure on the balls of your feet.
  • Options
    Yeah my poor feet :(

And I'm tall, I promise!

Thanks for calling me a giant, Georgia!
  • Options
    SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2010
    http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=59745&vid=1&pid=786517&scid=786517002

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=59745&vid=1&pid=804244&scid=804244002

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=59745&vid=1&pid=805812&scid=805812012

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=59745&vid=1&pid=803377&scid=803377002

Here's another thing to know about retail business casual- you get leway.  I have a friend who does this kind of job as well, and she's quite trendy to an extent.  You can go ahead and do some flash and get away with it easily.  So feel free to wear those red shoes or something a bit more pizzazzy than you normally would.  Accessorize! 
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not in retail exactly. It's a manufacturing company/distrubuter that sells to like Wal-mart, BBB ect. I deal with the sales reps for them.
  • Options
    3 pairs of shoes and my budget is gone!!! But I do really want those boots. A lot.
  • Options
    I see.  But you'll be on your feet a lot?
  • Options
    We're the exact same size... and I have a terrible time finding pants (and occasionally shirts) that fit my tallness.  I like Gap/Banana Republic/ON for Tall options.  Ann Taylor Loft has great skirts and dresses, and most of their clothes fit the Business Casual standard.  New York & Co and the Limited are also stores I like... but the hiehgt can make things tricky! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_xp-business-casual?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0c8a5a5f-c6be-4053-8e92-8fc50c51c2d9Post:070607ea-95a4-4d2a-826d-1ab339caf487">Re: XP: Help with business Casual</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see.  But you'll be on your feet a lot?
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know. If I am, then I'm going to have to get all new shoes. If not, what I have no will work, I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards