Missouri-St Louis
Options

feeling a little overwhelmed!

Hi everyone. I am new to the board. I got engaged over the holidays and thought I had plenty of time for planning seeing as how we didn't set a date until 2011 and now I am starting to feel the pressure of "hurry and book stuff"

where do I even start? Should I find the reception place first and then the ceremony place or vice versa...

what did you all do to get the planning process going????

Re: feeling a little overwhelmed!

• Options
    mmdpmmmdpm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony first if you are looking at a church or temple so that you can lock in your date.  Then look for reception sites that have the date and you like.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Relax!  You have plenty of time!  I second that ceremony location is first, and then reception location asap.  Depending on what time of year, you will want to book a photog asap because the one you want may get booked or already be booked.  Other than that, you have plenty of time to shop around.  Enjoy the time and don't panic - you have lots of time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't panic, I got engaged at the end of October 2009 and set my wedding date for May 1, 2010 (less than 6 months out).  I found the reception place first since that is where most of my money will be going and IMO they book faster than a church since there is a church on just about every corner... then I found the ceremony place.  I figured I could always use the reception place to hold both events if I needed too, plus I could do an outdoor wedding at a local park if I couldn't find a church as well.  I ended up finding several churches and reception places that were still available with less than 6 months notice.

I set my date based on what locations I found that Iiked and were available... most people set their date and then find the location, but I found my method to be way less stressful for me since there wasn't a date that was super significant for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry i feel the same way except mine is a lil father we are getting married in 2012 but we are making all the dresses except mine and a lot of my wedding dIY (tight budget) and i don't even half a tid bit of what i want done
  • Options
    thebridenikithebrideniki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The first thing you need to do is make your guest list.  In order to pick a ceremony or reception site you need to know how many people you want to invite.  The guest list ends up dictating so much - from your location to the price of your invitations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards