Washington-Seattle
Options

undergarments

hi all - its my first post!

i just picked out my dress - http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Shantung-Taffeta-Sweetheart-Ball-Gown-T3039_Bridal-Gowns-Features-Designer-Gowns-Galina so i am reaallly excited.

my question is - what type of undergarment (bra) should i do? i have small b cups. should i investigate sewing in the cups? it is at david's bridal -- would those seamstresses do that for me? or should i just go with those longer body shaping bras?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: undergarments

• Options
    mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

The Offbeat Bride Blog has a few great articles/entries on bras to wear with your wedding dress (Large Chested, Small Chested, and Plus size).  Here's a link to the Small Chested article:
    http://offbeatbride.com/2010/07/minus-size-strapless-bras

I have heard some not so very good things about the alterations department at DB (not well done, too expensive, etc), I would investigate an independent seamstress if possible.
    HTH!
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pro having cups sewn in because I feel like the dress and everything just moves better with you.
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had cups sewn in and couldn't have been happier - one less thing for me to worry about, and it gave me a little extra oomph.  Ditto on looking for an independent seamstress.  I went to Elizabeth Parks in Tacoma, and loved her work, but others on here have suggestions for Seattle seamstresses if you're further north.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for all the tips so far. so... let me get this straight, i can buy my dress from DB and then take it somewhere else to get it altered? i think that sounds like a good idea.

i would love to hear suggestions for seattle area seamstresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amy Erickson
    206-783-1066
    She is great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have seamstress rec's....not quite to that point yet, but based on the look of your dress, I 100% think you should get cups sewn into it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, not to get too personal here, but does sewing in the cups work for all types of situations, if ya know what I mean?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @kimberly - Yup, it's your dress and you can take it to whomever you like!  You'd be paying them extra for alterations anyways, so feel free to find someone you trust and go with them.

@becca - For the most part, I think yes.  My only reservation is if you're generously endowed, sewing in cups might not work.  I went with what my seamstress suggested (cups), so just make sure that it'll work for you before going that route, and I think you're fine!
  • Options
    tusshie2004tusshie2004 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! Pretty dress. I have no idea about alterations. I am in the same boat as you. I plan on loosing 20 lbs within the next year and I know my dress will not fit and will need to be altered. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards