Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitations - Address Labels

Is it ok to use a computer printed address label for the outside envelope address and use handwriting on the inner envelope?  Just wondering - calligraphy is not an option.  My hand writing is not horrible but I figure the labels might help give everything a consistent look and cut down on mess ups.  I was also thinking of using clear labels.

Any thoughts ladies?

thanks!

Re: Invitations - Address Labels

• Options
    Hi, I think you'll quickly see on there that adress labels are not preferred (even if clear) on any part of the wedding invitation mailing.

I'd suggest trying to teach yourself calligraphy, or even just practicing your script/cursive writing.  I hand addressed my invites w/cursive and it looked fine.

Althoughwise, you could print directly on the envelopes lightly (in a light gray or something) and trace...or just print directly on the envelopes.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat! My handwriting is beyond help! I was hoping for labels too... guess that is out! :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My handwriting is awful also and dispite the fact that everyone says NO LABELS I used them!! I went with clear Avery mailing labels and a fancier font and they turned out fine.  I would rather have the invites get where they were going and look nice than have them look like my 8 year old nephew helped me address them

• Options

Labels are fine, despite what everyone else thinks. I do not beleive that anyone should have to spend hours writing out addresses on invitation or wasting money to pay a caligrapher to do it, when everyone you send it to is just going to throw the envelope away. I even used white labels for both the out side address label and the RSVP return address label. I had to download a new font so that the script was pretty but legible for the post office to read it and no one who was invited complained. In fact some of them liked and even one asked me what font it was. By the way it was Annibel Script. I got it at 1001freefonts.com if I recall correctly. It was easy to download it and drag and drop it into the fonts folder in my control panel on my PC. This automatically added it to any text document program I was using. I loved it and it was so much easier and less time consuming.

• Options
    I think labels look cheap and lazy, and that's really not the first impression anyone should have of you and your wedding.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all your help.

I'm still thinking about this.
    Sica2403 - you made some good points!
  • Options
    We used labels.  It was definitely most efficient for us.  We haven't had one person comment on our use of labels either. 
    ~* Believe in yourself! *~
  • Options
    LisaChris2011LisaChris2011 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitations-address-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:78a3af8d-864f-425b-90a1-43787ccdea3fPost:4fb58dc9-228a-4581-a991-8bcf5806c4a3">Re: Invitations - Address Labels</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used labels.  It was definitely most efficient for us. <strong> We haven't had one person comment on our use of labels either. 
    </strong>Posted by sbargfrede[/QUOTE]

I truly dislike this argument about labels because it is so invalid.  Of course no one is going to comment about your use of labels...they don't want to appear rude.  What are they going to say?  You: "Thank you for coming to our wedding, Martha, how is the food?"  You: "The food is wonderful!  But your invitation envelopes were not unfortunately. The labels were a definite etiquette faux paus.  Oh, and you look beautiful!"

C'mon.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitations-address-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:78a3af8d-864f-425b-90a1-43787ccdea3fPost:7ed025f8-3240-4cdd-8418-07c76ca077b3">Invitations - Address Labels</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it ok to use a computer printed address label for the outside envelope address and use handwriting on the inner envelope?  Just wondering - calligraphy is not an option.  My hand writing is not horrible but I figure the labels might help give everything a consistent look and cut down on mess ups.  I was also thinking of using clear labels. Any thoughts ladies? thanks!
    Posted by jmk2127[/QUOTE]

If you truly want to follow etiquette and give a warm, personal touch to your guests, handwrite.  No one's handwriting is perfect, and we all have gotten lazy with cursive/handwriting the last 2 decades or so with computers and technology, but that does not mean you should skip out on etiquette. 
  • Options
    My handwriting is not great and I think my cursive will look awful. But I plan to write each outer and inner envelope out by hand. My sister learned calligraphy to do hers (and she has really beautiful handwriting). She offered to do my invites, but at the end of the day I think its much more personable to write them yourself even if that means more work and more mess ups. I'm sure only half my guest will care at all (mostly older guests and some younger women) -- but I would hate for my FMIL to think I didn't care enough to take the time to write her name and address on an envelope. My STDs only took about 2 hours to write out. I will be inviting a few extras to the wedding and I'm sure I will be a little more careful but that's still only an afternoon. Think about all the time you have put into planning your wedding; 1 extra afternoon is not that long.
  • Options

Does the font on a bridal shower invitation have to match the return address? Can it be a clear label with nice script font?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards