Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

To get my makeup done by a pro or no...

I am in a dilemma of sorts. I am trying to decide whether to get my makeup done by a pro or not. My hairstylist also does makeup although I really don't like the way she applies it on herself...is this a good indication that I should stay away? I really don't know how good she would make me look...I also have never had makeup done by anyone but myself so it makes me kind of nervous.

I CAN do my own makeup the exact way I want it to be, but I'm worried I will be too nervous and freaking out on my wedding day. I don't want the stress of doing it myself, but I also don't want the stress of someone doing it wrong, since I know exactly 100% what I want, and with makeup one tiny wrong stroke or color could completely kill your whole face. I just don't know what to do here...I've gotten conflicting opinions from friends. If I do decide on the professional, I will get at least one trial done before the wedding. What does everyone else think? What are you planning on doing?

to add: I live somewhere where there aren't Sephora or MAC stores close or whatever..so it's either have the stylist do it or do it myself.

Re: To get my makeup done by a pro or no...

• Options
    I think if you start early enough and do a trial run with BOTH hair and makeup with your stylist, and lay out EXACTLY what you want, then she can accomodate your makeup wishes/needs on teh big day.   That way too you can change your mind if it's not to your standards.  Just because she makes herself up a certain way doesn't mean that she'll transplant her face onto you.  Are any of your BMs or other friends as handy and as awesome with makeup as you are?  Could you entrust one of them to do it for you instead of the stylist? 
    Holiday Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    IMO you should get a trial done. Tell them exactly what you want. If they can do it great, you found someone to do your make-up for the wedding. If not try out someone else. I'm sure there is more then one person around that can professionally do make-up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-done-pro?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:c556546b-da39-4b99-9771-a3b11823f1b3Post:47e422e5-dd48-4343-a638-e560d1508e50">Re: To get my makeup done by a pro or no...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto PP.  You can't go by how she looks.  I picked my MUA because of how the BRIDES she had done looked.  They all looked fabulous and after 2 hours so did I!  I'm a big believer in having a professional do your hair and makeup on the biggest day of your life.  Pamper yourself!
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]
    case in point: Mally Roncal. I don't like how she does her own makeup (too much eyeliner, too much glitter, I don't think pink works with her skin tone, etc--<a href="http://images.mallybeauty.com/assets/mally/categories/0000/6162/contactmally_default_536x303_hero.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://images.mallybeauty.com/assets/mally/categories/0000/6162/contactmally_default_536x303_hero.jpg</a>) but I LOVE how she does makeup for models and celebrities--she often does makeup for Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Alright, thanks ladies. I'm going to get a makeup trial on the same day I get my hair trial...I'm sure she will probably be able to accommodate me as she has been in the hair/makeup field for over 20 years. If I don't like it, I will examine my other options. Thanks everyone for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards