Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Formal address for man who goes by his middle name?

One of the people we are inviting generally goes by his middle name. His parent/grandparents are usually the only people who refer to him by his first name.  What is the proper way to formally address him on an invitation? 

Re: Formal address for man who goes by his middle name?

• Options
    I use my middle name.  For anything that would normally include a middle initial, I use A. Middlename Lastname.  Are you including middle initials or middle names for the rest of your guests?  If not, address to the name you call him by.  
  • Options

you can do either:

mr. cornelius joe smith
    mr. c. joe smith
    mr. joe smith

i would do Mr. Joe Smith. if he were my friend.

10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I would go with Mr. T. John Smith or Mr. Thomas John Smith.

Where's banana?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I'd use the name he typically goes by. FIL uses his middle name exclusively. It would be bizarre to address him by his first name even under the most formal circumstances.
  • Options
    A friend of mine who is an etiquette maven (I swear she was born in the '50s and cryogenically frozen) is married to a man who goes by his middle name.  She signs her name "Mrs. J. Middle Last."  So I imagine that's the proper form of address.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    The guest is a friend of FI from college. We're not planning on including middle names or initials on the envelopes.  I was leaning towards just addressing it to the name he uses, but wanted to make sure I'm not making a huge faux pas. 
  • Options
    I think either way is fine. My friend's husband is like that (I never knew his first name until I got their wedding invitation). I addressed it to his true first name since I knew it from their wedding. I'm sure he won't mind either.
  • Options
    I've heard that the most formal of invitations use a guest's full name. So "Mr. Charles Thomas Smith." So that's one option.

Personally, I'd probably do, "Mr. C. Thomas Smith."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My grandma goes by her middle name...her envelope is addressed to Ms. J. Gail Mylastname.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards