Virginia
Options

Need Non-Religious Officiant or Celebrant in Portsmouth

My fiance and I are having a casual September 2012 wedding in the backyard of our home in Portsmouth, VA. We are both atheists and would prefer a non-religious officiant with a laid-back personality. Either male or female is okay. Any suggestions?? Or anyone know of a good place to search? Thanks!

Re: Need Non-Religious Officiant or Celebrant in Portsmouth

• Options
    lehelflehelf member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any suggestions for a specific person, but Virginia has a statute that allows a VA resident to be "certified" as a one-time civil celebrant. We are having a friend do this and marry us this September. In most cases, you have to pay some sort of court fee (seems to range from $30-$80) as well as a $500 bond. You do get this bond back after the wedding is performed and you submit a copy of your marriage license. The person has to get certified in the district where they reside and in some cases it is a very simple process, but in others it is very complicated and is up to the judge whether he grants it or not. I hope that makes sense. Sorry I don't have a better suggestion for an already-certified civil celebrant, but good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking for the exact same thing, but I'm really hoping to find someone that has done lots of weddings so they have plenty of practice before mine ;)

If you find one let us know so I can look them up too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes same! I don't know how to get one! Can we get a JOP or something? Help!
  • Options
    JennHile11JennHile11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are looking for the same thing, and this is the best I have found so far. Her name is Suzanne Fox, and her website is http://www.yourweddinglegacy.com/celebrant.htm

It says she is a civil celebrant, which I believe means non-religious. It also says she does a LOT of ceremonies, so she should be very experienced.

I just sent her an email to ask about my date. Hope this helps others.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards