New York-Western
Options

Need to use you girls as a sounding board

We are getting married at St. Joseph's and reception at Pearl street, their parking lots back up to each other - less then a 2 minute walk. We are getting ready at the Hyatt down town about a 10 minute walk. Now the wedding is in a month and the weather is unpredictable, but we are having a hard time justifing paying $700 for a limo for only 2hrs of actually using it. We have a gap for 2 hrs but we have a lot of cute places to do pictures between the 2 locations so we don't feel the need to go other places.

What would you do?

PS I'll admit right now I'm have a T - 1 month freak out so I'm sorry if the thoughts are scrmabled. I'm a little scrambled and worried about getting my To-do list done.

Re: Need to use you girls as a sounding board

• Options
    degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally I would not pay a limo $700 to drive me somewhere I could walk in 10 and 2 min. but that is just me.

If you are worried about weather arrange to have someone drive you, like uncle or aunt or godparents.  Maybe you know someone that owns a cool car or a big van you could use.

We are renting a school bus for the day/night to drive people to and from hotel but that is a 20 min drive. It is going to cost me $550 for 12 hours.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our limo is our one regret.  We won half off of it at a bridal show, but still spend $500 after tip for 4 hours.  We spent a total of 45 minutes in it.  We both have said what a waste it was.  If I were you I would just plan on walking.  If its bad weather you could always just drive your car there, or have someone drop you off at the church. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I completely understand. Our ceremony is 6 minutes driving from Pearl Street where our reception is. We are getting ready at my family's house near the church. We don't want to rent a limo for a 6 minute drive. Everyone is driving/carpooling.

Don'f forget about the Transit. Your guests can take the train from the Hyatt down to the station one small block from Pearl Street. Its very easy and free.

What floor is your reception on? We booked the 4th.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where is everyone getting their limo's that it's that expensive? I'm getting one for 5hrs for under $300 (Affordable Limo in West Seneca), I agree though that it's definitely not worth it at that price
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were looking at SS Limo where a friend of a friend is a driver and it willing to cut the price down but really it would still cost a pretty penny.

We've talked it over and I think we are either walking or going to ask a few close family members (parents of the groom and a few uncles) if they wouldn't mind driving the girls down. The boys are planning on driving our cars down.

We have the 3rd floor. Orginally my whole family talked about making the trip from Detroit (about 75 people) and now barely 15 will be there possibly so I'm a bit worried its going to be emtpy since its such a large room. Oh well these things happen...
  • Options
    KJ7985KJ7985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I think you could get creative without it. The Hyatt and Pearl Street/St. Joseph's are on the subway line...I think you get where I'm going with this. You could have your photographer take some really cool subway pics (I've seen a lot of people take group pics outside near the subway stops and on the tracks) and I think it would be kind of fun to ride the subway all dressed up! 

I am also having my fall reception at Pearl Street and one of the reasons I chose that venue was because there are so many cool places within the venue to take pictures in case it rains (my friend came all the way in from out of town for her engagement session only to have it pour--all of their engagement photos were taken within and around Pearl Street and they turned out GREAT). 

If you do decide that the limo is the way you want to go, I believe that some places will offer you discounted prices since you're a November wedding and you will need it for the minimum amount of time. My personal inclination would be to pass on the limo, get creative and just have fun with it. Good luck with your wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards