Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Parent's Gift

Annie's post got me thinking.... I was planning to get something for my parents, who are paying for the majority of the wedding.  But should we also get something for FI's parents, who are not contributing?  Perhaps someting on a smaller scale than what we get my parents?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Parent's Gift

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got each set of parents a parent album from the photographer.  My parents contributed 95% more than DH's though, but I didn't want to present the gifts at the rehearsal dinner and have it be awkward if we did something nicer for my parents.  So we explained this to my parents, and after the wedding got them something extra.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on his relationship with his parents. For us, both of our parents are giving equal amounts so there is no problem. In the event one of our parents were not financially able to contribute I don't think I would give them a smaller gift. We both have close relationships with our parents and I think a smaller gift to one because they didn't give us money toward the wedding would be offensive. To me our parents are not going to receive gifts for contributing to our wedding but as a thank you for raising us and turning us into the people we are today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you are also thanking them for raising their son.  We are paying for most of our wedidng ourselves and still plan to get both of our parents gifts.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! Looking back at my original post, it seems kind of b!tchy (I had a bad day).  I do want to acknowledge them both and thank them for all they've done for us individually and together over the years.  We plan on doing parents albums for both sets, but may do something extra as well.

Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we're doing the same - probably getting them both something to present at the rehearsal dinner, but something extra for my parents who are paying.
  • Options
    bigjajapoofbigjajapoof member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My parents aren't paying a Dime and so they're not getting anything either. FI's parents are getting a parents book, but also i'm going to throw in a little somethign extra for the both of them.

Even though i'm now married you ladies can't get rid of me. Hit me up www.facebook.com/groomzilla BOOYAH!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting them both a parents album. I also had personalized hankies made from someone on etsy -- one for each: my dad, my mom, his dad, his mom -- each with a little saying on it. FI and I are paying the majority and my parents will be pitching in some. His parents told us they would pay x amount but haven't paid anything and I doubt they will. I'm not sure yet but I think we'll also do a little something extra for my parents but just not present it at the RD.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards