Not Engaged Yet
Options

Lent anyone?

So tomorrow starts Lent and I have no idea what I'm giving up.  Already gave up caffeine per doctor's orders, so soda and coffee are already gone.  I'm stumped, those are my go-to!

Oscar thinks I'm silly for giving something up (he doesn't) but I always have since I was little.  Do you give stuff up?  Do you observe Lent even without giving things up?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Lent anyone?

• Options
    Nope, I don't do Lent. We're Buddhist.

• Options
    I'm Catholic. So I'll head over to church tomorrow get my ashes.  I'm a vegetarian who is now lactose intolerant so I've had a hard time deciding what to give up.   I pretty sure I'm givingup wine.  This will be a very long 40 days!!!!!!!!!

Anniversary

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013

Since I'm Orthodox Lent doesn't start for me until March 18 (Pascha [Easter] is May 5th). 

Typically I don't give up anything additionally.  For Orthodox, we already fast from meat and dairy and since I have a hard enough time with that I am sticking with that for now.  Hopefully, someday, I will be able to give up more.  My mom gives up her computer, that might be something I consider doing in the future.  

I know lots of Catholics who give up chocolate or candy.  That might be worth a try for you.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I don't always give stuff up. You can always do things to better yourself/your relationship with God. If you don't volunteer often, you can do that more during Lent or try to go to Mass more often. 
    I may or may not be going to Mass tomorrow. If the ashes fall off at all and get on the chocolate that would be bad. 
    I'm trying to decide if I want to give up soda for Lent(Josh doesn't like that idea because it is bad for him. I drink too much soda and am addicted to caffeine) or going vegan for Lent. Which do you think I should do?
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:aef7ae23-96e6-4eb1-9292-ab285a632d88">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't always give stuff up. You can always do things to better yourself/your relationship with God. If you don't volunteer often, you can do that more during Lent or try to go to Mass more often.  I may or may not be going to Mass tomorrow. If the ashes fall off at all and get on the chocolate that would be bad.  I'm trying to decide if I want to give up soda for Lent(Josh doesn't like that idea because it is bad for him. I drink too much soda and am addicted to caffeine) or going vegan for Lent. Which do you think I should do?
    Posted by MidniteRae[/QUOTE]
    Go Vegen with me!  It's a challenge but so worth it! 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:36faab8a-c972-4eb7-9a02-db07560a26b2">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent anyone? : Go Vegen with me!  It's a challenge but so worth it! 
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]
    That means I actually have to make dinner and bring my lunch to work. My main concern about bringing my lunch to work is that we don't have a mini fridge anymore. It is broken. :( The upside to going vegan, is that I will be sick less often because I won't be eating anything I'm allergic to, except I'll sstill be slowing cutting out gluten. But okay. Do you have my number? We should text and keep each other motivated!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:d0495ff5-5c36-4b12-85c3-9971e241a569">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent anyone? : That means I actually have to make dinner and bring my lunch to work. My main concern about bringing my lunch to work is that we don't have a mini fridge anymore. It is broken. :( The upside to going vegan, is that I will be sick less often because I won't be eating anything I'm allergic to, except I'll sstill be slowing cutting out gluten. But okay. Do you have my number? We should text and keep each other motivated!
    Posted by MidniteRae[/QUOTE]
    Ya that part is a pain but it helps you meal plan really well lol.  No I don't have your number and yes we should.  We can also share recipes!  :) I'll FB you.

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I don't observe Lent, but my roommate in college did.

That year, I was "forced" to give up cursing and purchasing non-essential items. 

I made it through with quite a few new funny phrases.

IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:36faab8a-c972-4eb7-9a02-db07560a26b2">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent anyone? : Go Vegen with me!  It's a challenge but so worth it! 
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you know going vegan means more than just going without meat or dairy products. 

A vegan does not eat anything even made with meat or dairy products.  So, soup made with chicken stock is a no go.  Pasta made with eggs is a no go.  And so on and so forth.  It's not necessarily just going without meat and dairy products.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    And if you're cutting out meat, dairy, and gluten all in one swoop, you may be hardpressed to find things to eat. 
    IMG_6364
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:f63bad53-28b3-489c-94b4-d635539b0369">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And if you're cutting out meat, dairy, and gluten all in one swoop, you may be hardpressed to find things to eat. 
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]
    This. It can definitely be done, but just know that you'll have a hard time finding veggie burgers or ready-made stuff that doesn't have gluten in it. It really sucks because I want veggie burgers in a baaaad way and the ones I can eat are ludicrously expensive.

• Options
    I was raised Catholic but I'm not Catholic now. I generally give something up, just to participate but I don't think I'm going to this year. 

Some ideas for you: meat, alcohol, cheese, pizza, chocolate, Facebook. (My friend was asking for suggestions yesterday and these are the ideas I gave her.)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:d4de32f3-ae74-42b9-bbe5-a0d127a7bf0a">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent anyone? : This. It can definitely be done, but just know that you'll have a hard time finding veggie burgers or ready-made stuff that doesn't have gluten in it. It really sucks because I want veggie burgers in a baaaad way and the ones I can eat are ludicrously expensive.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

I find it hard enough being vegetarian and lactose intolerant. I don't consider myself vegan because I can still eat things with a small amount of dairy in them.  I couldn't imagine giving up gluten too.

Anniversary

• Options
    Being gluten free is the suck.

BF is catholic, but I'm not, so we'll be doing fish on Fridays from here on out.  If I had to give something up, it'd be exercise.  But I'm sure that's just the pain from last night talking.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I grew up Catholic, taught at a Catholic school for three years out of undergrad... I am Agnostic though. I don't plan on giving anything up for Lent, but I should give up sweets because I cannot seem to stop consuming them this last month. Le sigh, god help me.

I like the idea of taking on something good like volunteering for Lent. I'd have to journal or track my days if I was going to commit to either Lent-like 40 days. Does anyone else do that? How do you hold yourself accountable? We used to discuss the sacrifices as a class when I taught. Aw I miss kids.
  • Options
    Hmmm, pizza might work. We eat it pretty much every weekend with the boys, so it's something I would have to work at. My friend suggested alcohol but I don't drink enough for that to matter. Told Oscar I was contemplating giving up sex...he didn't like that too much LOL
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Lent anyone?:[QUOTE]I grew up Catholic, taught at a Catholic school for three years out of undergrad... I am Agnostic though. I don't plan on giving anything up for Lent, but I should give up sweets because I cannot seem to stop consuming them this last month. Le sigh, god help me.I like the idea of taking on something good like volunteering for Lent. I'd have to journal or track my days if I was going to commit to either Lentlike 40 days. Does anyone else do that? How do you hold yourself accountable? We used to discuss the sacrifices as a class when I taught. Aw I miss kids. Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

We always did a Lent jar in my house and I still do. Anytime you break your fast, you have to put X amount of dollars in the jar. At the end of the 40 days the parent's jar went to the church for collection and we kids got to donate ours to a charity if we wanted. The amount always increased as you got older and, theoretically, more responsible.
  • Options
    I'm not Catholic, was raised Episcopalian and they weren't too heavy on lent (we didn't have to go get ashes or eat fish on Fridays).

The religious demographic in my part of the world is Catholic.  The first time I saw someone with ashes on their forehead I told them they had something smudged on them, and got a dirty dirty look.  I didn't know!

My friend is Orthodox Catholic and I think their lent starts later (I hope we're going to Trader Joe's Saturday and I think she's giving that up for lent).

I'm not giving up anything on lent.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:f4128e4f-7251-46e6-be53-e4807489652b">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I grew up Catholic, taught at a Catholic school for three years out of undergrad... I am Agnostic though. I don't plan on giving anything up for Lent, but I should give up sweets because I cannot seem to stop consuming them this last month. Le sigh, god help me. I like the idea of taking on something good like volunteering for Lent. I'd have to journal or track my days if I was going to commit to either Lent-like 40 days. Does anyone else do that? How do you hold yourself accountable? We used to discuss the sacrifices as a class when I taught. Aw I miss kids.
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

I found that journaling helps a lot. I Journal every morning before I go to work and it helps me to gather my thoughts and focus on my goals. I think volunteering is a great idea. I volunteer every Sunday and I love it. My journal though is more so of a prayer book/ what I'm thankful for book. So if I were to focus my journaling towards what I would give up for Lent then I probably write down my stuggles with giving up something and then congratulate myself on my achievements for giving up whatever I did for the day. It would be kind of like a private motivation source.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:5243caec-3154-47f7-a3e2-55b18371244f">Re:Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Lent anyone?: We always did a Lent jar in my house and I still do. Anytime you break your fast, you have to put X amount of dollars in the jar. At the end of the 40 days the parent's jar went to the church for collection and we kids got to donate ours to a charity if we wanted. The amount always increased as you got older and, theoretically, more responsible.
    Posted by oskie&grungie[/QUOTE]
    I like this idea! So cute with kids too.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:c85278e3-8447-481c-8fc1-24647385e9bc">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lent anyone? :<strong> I found that journaling helps a lot. I Journal every morning before I go to work and it helps me to gather my thoughts and focus on my goals. </strong>I think volunteering is a great idea. I volunteer every Sunday and I love it. My journal though is more so of a prayer book/ what I'm thankful for book. So if I were to focus my journaling towards what I would give up for Lent then I probably write down my stuggles with giving up something and then congratulate myself on my achievements for giving up whatever I did for the day. It would be kind of like a private motivation source.
    Posted by mhollister89[/QUOTE]

I somtimes write down my thoughts to deal with my anxiety and any sadness it brings on. Sometimes I can't though. I really enjoy looking back and reading old entries, it is always interesting to me to see how things have changed, and what is still on my mind.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:0db4f319-4c11-4a82-8453-013fe7f63b01">Re:Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Lent anyone? : I like this idea! So cute with kids too. In Response to Re: Lent anyone? : I somtimes write down my thoughts to deal with my anxiety and any sadness it brings on. Sometimes I can't though. I really enjoy looking back and reading old entries, it is always interesting to me to see how things have changed, and what is still on my mind.

I do the same thing. I love reading what I wrote about right before I started dating my BF and then after I met him. I want to read it to him someday when we are old farts. It will be a good laugh.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:9d5c26bc-3341-4a85-83db-128b0b971009">Re:Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Lent anyone? : I do the same thing. I love reading what I wrote about right before I started dating my BF and then after I met him. I want to read it to him someday when we are old farts. It will be a good laugh.
    Posted by mhollister89[/QUOTE]

YES! Exactly the type of thing I love. For example, I met H in high school. We were friends in a group of kids one year of high school and then friendly for some years after. Anyway, in 12th grade I wrote about him in my diary. And when we started dating, 7 years later I was like, "See, I always thought you were hot, it says so in my diary."
  • Options
    I'm with Rdr, I was born and raised Catholic but, I don't go to Church. I still give up something for Lent because it reminds me of my Mimi (Grandma) who was a devout Catholic and it's something my sister, mom, and I have always done with her.

I think I'm going to give up candy and icecream. I don't really need it anyway and honestly if I can kick my sugar habit I know it will just help me lose weight.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:0d7b77b9-0628-4ec1-b660-a7cf5aaa562e">Re:Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Lent anyone? : YES! Exactly the type of thing I love. For example, I met H in high school. We were friends in a group of kids one year of high school and then friendly for some years after. Anyway, in 12th grade I wrote about him in my diary. And when we started dating, 7 years later I was like, "See, I always thought you were hot, it says so in my diary."
    I was a camper at a camp and had a crush on one of the counselors. He was only 2 years older but I was still considered a camper at my age.  Several years later through some mutual friends. I became friends with the the camp counselor I had a crush on.  We were actually very close friends.  I told him I had a crush on him ( he swears he remembers me but I don't think he does) and I showed my diary entries about my crush on him, several years prior it was hysterical. 

I love writing in a journal, I do about once a week. It's fun to go back and reread my feelings on particular subjects and see how I've grown and changed.  I've been writing since I was about 9 actually.

Anniversary

• Options
    I was born and raised Catholic, but don't practice at all. I won't be giving anything up for Lent, but I DID give up Dunkin Donuts iced lattes after NYE. I went from having one almost every day to not having one since 12/31. I'm trying to figure out more things to give up, just to be healthier, and pizza may be a good one to try giving up for a little while...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:f63bad53-28b3-489c-94b4-d635539b0369">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And if you're cutting out meat, dairy, and gluten all in one swoop, you may be hardpressed to find things to eat. 
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]
    I've already completely cut out things with dairy and honey and almost everything with eggs and gluten. Gluten is hard, but it will be worth it to be be sick all the time. My sister is vegan and has some great recipes. If only she could cook for me. lol. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:892b6c24-fc51-41e7-bfa6-1091c29f0c05">Re: Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Being gluten free is the suck</strong>. BF is catholic, but I'm not, so we'll be doing fish on Fridays from here on out.  If I had to give something up, it'd be exercise.  But I'm sure that's just the pain from last night talking.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]
    Ugh, I know. It isn't fair that my body hates everything. But anyways, has it been any easier lately?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:dad50b1b-f582-4e03-aa36-40d0bf36d2e1">Re:Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Lent anyone? : I was a camper at a camp and had a crush on one of the counselors. He was only 2 years older but I was still considered a camper at my age.  Several years later through some mutual friends. I became friends with the the camp counselor I had a crush on.  We were actually very close friends.  I told him I had a crush on him ( he swears he remembers me but I don't think he does) and I showed my diary entries about my crush on him, several years prior it was hysterical.  I love writing in a journal, I do about once a week. It's fun to go back and reread my feelings on particular subjects and see how I've grown and changed.  I've been writing since I was about 9 actually.
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

haha Some entries are hard to read. So dorky. For probably three years of high school I basically only wrote about my boyfriend (<em>I will love him FOREVER!</em>).
    I have diaries as far back as elementary school too, but I haven't done it consistently.  Ever think about someone in the future reading them?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_lent-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2f032fa4-f77e-4499-be51-09c21ba21e8bPost:7da640cf-e290-44c0-8a5e-ecf4516b9f2d">Re:Lent anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Lent anyone? : haha Some entries are hard to read. So dorky. For probably three years of high school I basically only wrote about my boyfriend ( I will love him FOREVER! ). I have diaries as far back as elementary school too, but I haven't done it consistently.  Ever think about someone in the future reading them?
    Ha ha I do my life as a lifetime movie after I pass away. At 12 I was very inspired after reading Anne Frank's diary.  My diary writing drastically changed after that, not in the hopes of being published or anything.  I didn't want to be the dumb 12 year old girl whing about being 12, I wanted to write about more.  If that makes any sense.  The best was getting to play Anne Frank in the play about 10 years ago.

Anniversary

• Options
    I was going to give up either beer or wine, (not both at the same time) but I've decided to add journaling 5 things I'm thankful for each day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards