Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

cake delimnas

I'm on a tight budget, and our wedding will be tiny with only 40 guests. There will also be a lot of travel involved. These are my cake options:

1. Pony up about $200 for a catered, professional cake....more than we should spend....do you think this is too much for feeding 40?

2.. Have one couple's cake made by me and a cupcake tree, also made by me, and haul it the four-hour drive to the wedding location;

3. Bake a two-tiered little wedding cake myself, decorate it with silk flowers, and haul it on the long drive

It's so much easier to pay someone else to do it without the worry, but $5 pp just for cake seems awfully steep compared to our budget.

We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year

Re: cake delimnas

• Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You won't have time or patience to bake, decorate and transport a cake that late (the day before at the earliest). Cupcakes are very labor intensive. Anyone who doesn't think so has never made any before. They are also difficult to transport. In addition, many venues do not allow homemade food of any kind to be brought in becuase there are laws set in place by the health dept to protect not only the venue but everyone's safety. Either pay money to someone else to fix the cake or else find a completely different dessert that doesn't cost as much to be made by your caterer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're looking into getting a single tier cake.  I believe a 14" round cake will feed all of your guests.  Here is a photo of one:

• Options
    crysnewcrysnew member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your venue will allow you to bring outside food, then why not check out the bakery at the nearest grocery store?  You can pick out a cake and order the decorations for it.  Or you can speak to an employee of the bakery dept., and ask if they will decorate it on their own and pay them for the decorating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A 2 tier cake should be enough for you to take on...so you can keep the top tier for your anniversary...but, please dont take that on yourself...check out grocery stores or even walmart..they have 2 tier cakes that start at $88 dollars...however, if you want to dress it up with silk flowers etc., you will have to do that on your own..places like grocers etc. are not allowed to take things from over the counter...I'm a full time cake decorator and i dont recommend asking the associates from the grocery stores to do your cake themselves( from their homes etc)....If these people do not have the authority to sell products outside of their home for consumption and you get food poisoning etc. you may be looking for some legal trouble... nor, can they promise the same cake for the same price that the store could sell it to you for (homemade and time makes the difference)....and as a minor note...they could get in trouble or fired for taking business from their bussiness...i've seen it...hope i've helped you and good luck with your wedding plans.
  • Options
    Jamilynn627Jamilynn627 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp about looking into grocery store options. They're often inexpensive and delicious. I feel like $200 is a little much for a basic 40-person cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. the grocery store option isn't very viable because Yosemite is really remote and the nearest chain grocery store is at least an hour away. But I found out that the delivery fee that drove it up to over $200 doesn't apply if we order it with our catering, and on the catering end, the $80 cake cutting fee is waived by ordering together. So the cake will actually only cost us about $90, which I can totally live with. But, thanks for talking me out of trying to do it myself! I was in danger of biting off more than I could chew!
    We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year
  • Options
    BBunny!BBunny! member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if it is possible with your location but could you have a small cake to do the cake cutting and then have a sheet cake made for everyone else that is cut and served from the back? I have had this suggested to me to save money as well because in the end people don't care what the cake looks like that they are eating as long as it tastes good, and I think you get charged less for a simply frosted sheet cake. Hope tht helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards