Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Borrowing Vows?

"There is nothing new under the sun."

Right?

And almost all wedding vows today are used over and over by different brides and grooms.

Right?

So... is it tacky to borrow pieces of a wedding vow you've heard elsewhere?

What if it was on a television show?  Yeah, NOW you see my question.

The fact is, I've never heard or read any other vow that has said this so beautifully.  And I'm certainly not creative enough to come up with something so eloquent.  I don't want to use the entire vow... just pieces.

Would you?

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfXdnXvcsw

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Borrowing Vows?

• Options
    No, it's not tacky.  Tons of people use the same "standard" vows, so why would borrowing any be any different?
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    As long as you're fine with it and they express what you feel and want to say, then go for it.

It's not like anyone will notice that parts of your vows are the same as Grey's Anatomy!  It's an old episode anyways.
  • Options
    I am a HUGE fan of Grey's Anatomy. Never missed an episode. I am here to tell you had you just posted the words and not said where they were from, I would have had NO idea it was from Grey's... At all. I mean I wouldn't run and tell all my guests I used Preston Burkes vows, but the words are beautiful, and thats all people are going to remember. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_borrowing-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:9ece0c34-9251-4d9d-9b24-d78074e6423ePost:681550ef-351c-4a70-9832-b8154a7cd657">Re: Borrowing Vows?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a HUGE fan of Grey's Anatomy. Never missed an episode. I am here to tell you had you just posted the words and not said where they were from, I would have had NO idea it was from Grey's... At all. I mean I wouldn't run and tell all my guests I used Preston Burkes vows, but the words are beautiful, and thats all people are going to remember. :)
    Posted by geminieyes05[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!

Thanks to ALL of you.

It's so nice to be able to come here and hash out ideas!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I fullly intend on using vows I have heard or read. I never even thought twice about it. Most people use vows that have been heard many times. As long as it's how you feel and it means something to you it doesn't matter who wrote it.
  • Options
    tayliataylia member
    First Comment
    why not if the words mean something to you and its heart felt go for it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The only vows I would recognize immediately as being from Grey's are the ones that Alex Karev stole from the Valedictorian's speech.  "Today is the day my life begins. Today I become accountable to someone other than myself....blah blah blah" 
  • Options
    Now how do you tell your FI you are using vows from Greys lol
  • Options
    Ahh! I love this and I completely forgot about this scene! I'm really surprised by everyone's comments though. I didn't know it was "acceptable" to borrow vows someone else has already written. I mean, I guess it makes sense, since most people use the same traditional vows over and over. I feel like it might be awkward though to have to tell your FI or any other guests that you "borrowed" words from someone else.

I don't know..I've thought about writing my own, I just always thought it would be more meaningful if I wrote them myself. That's not to say someone else's words cannot be true, I just feel like it's more special in a sense if they're words from your heart that you wrote.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards