Military Brides
Options

shipping wedding gifts- gift dilemma!

Hi guys,

My fiance is stationed in Japan and we will both be living there after our US wedding.   My mother and bridesmaids want to throw a bridal shower, and guests have expressed that they would prefer to purchase gifts as opposed to writing checks.  How have other people dealt with gifts when they live overseas but the wedding/family is in the US?  Any ideas?  It seems like such a waste to store everything for 2+ years, and I'm not registering for fine china/crystal items.  

Thanks!

Re: shipping wedding gifts- gift dilemma!

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think my FI said that he gets one non-PCS move during his career (usually used to move a spouse to where you are when you get married) I may be wrong about this, or it may be branch-specific, but it's worth asking about. GL!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the EXACT same dilemma.  He is stationed in Misawa, Japan.  And I have been talking to some people on base while I am here visiting and depending on his orders I believe you can have TMO do a shipment, although there usually is a weight restriction.  Also, if they won't cover it fully, they told me they may bill me in 1-2 years for the cost and that would be $1 per lb.  Have him talk to TMO and see if he can have your stuff shipped under his orders, it sometimes depends on his original shipment when he PCS'ed.
    I agree, storing all that beautiful new stuff for 3 years would be a major bummer!!
  • Options
    hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well, a couple of questions. 1) what branch is he in? 2) WHERE?!?! My Bf is stationed in Sasebo, Japan with the Navy!!!

I asked my Boyfriend about your dilemma. (No, we're not engaged I just love TheKnot.com. hahahaa) and he said that in the Navy at least, he is 80% sure that once you are married the Navy will pay to have all your stuff packed up and shipped to your boy's location for free.  IF so, it has to be all at once with everything else you're planning on bringing, so assuming you're going to recieve all your gifts at your current residence and THEN move, it won't be a problem.  He knows FOR SURE that when a couple is married and already in Japan, and the spouse wants to move back to the states, the Navy will pay for it (He know's some couples that have done that.)

Anytime my BF has to move for the Navy, they pack up all his stuff and ship it for free.  And that should apply to you too once you're married. So check out what his branch has to say, call around to your local base, whatever and find out!!!!

and PS--Good luck trying the returning gifts and buying them again at the store in japan.  I'm pretty sure there won't be one there.  At least in Sasebo, you are not gonna find any targets or bed bath and beyonds hahaha.  That idea in and of itself is making me laugh.  Japan, in my experience, is not user friendly for foreigners.  GOOD FREAKING LUCK!!!! lol and don't expect anyone to speak English either unless you're in Tokyo.  When i said anything there, the only answer i got was blank stares unless it was someone who worked on base LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards