Honeymoon Discussions
Options

AW- Honeymoon booked! 12 night Mediterranean cruise!

Whew, I just bit the bullet and booked our honeymoon for the end of August- 12 night cruise from Venice to Rome on the Crown Princess!  We found an amazing deal on the cruise, $800 per person (for 12 nights, that's insane), but the plane tickets were pretty hefty.  I've been watching ticket prices and I think they will only get more expensive, so I just got it out of the way.

I have to give a big shout out and high-five to CMGr for her fantastic travel agent recommendation, he was wonderful to work with and made things so easy.

This is going to be our first cruise, and FI's first trip to Europe.  It's going to be exhausting, but so much fun.  We won't be relaxing much, and might need a vacation from our honeymoon after 2 weeks.

I found a Rick Steves travel book on Mediterranean cruise ports, I get really excited reading his books and we still have 2 months before the trip :)

Past cruisers, any advice on making the most of the trip?  Hidden costs?  Things to avoid?  Things to be aware of?  We aren't planning on booking tours or excursions, I'm really into DIY travelling with Rick Steves as my guide.  I have heard of automatic daily per person gratuities, and paying for alcoholic drinks, but other than that we're hoping to save our money for the port towns.

Also, our itinerary says that visas are required.  I'm not sure how to go about getting the right visas, that's my next research topic.

I'm so excited, and am on a total high right now (until the credit card bill comes, that is).  :)

Re: AW- Honeymoon booked! 12 night Mediterranean cruise!

• Options
    No advice, just wanted to say congrats and I'm insanely jealous! And I know for flying from DFW, it's hard to find flights to Europe for under 1100. Good luck!
  • Options
    I dont have any advice I just wanted to say congrats and have fun!! :D
  • Options
    yay!! dh and i did a 12 night med a few years ago. which ports will you visit?

• Options
    We're starting with an overnight in Venice, then Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Santorini, Naples and ending in Rome.  I have been to the stops in Italy, but none of the others and I'm really excited to explore!
  • Options
    CMGr, I can't beleive I put the wrong screen name in my original post, and definitely wanted to give you the credit!  My friend crfb must have been very confused if she saw the post :)
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! We are doing a 7 day mediterranean cruise but not really stopping at the same ports so I don't have advice. Just make sure you booked it in your maiden name!!!!!! And keep a copy of your passport, drivers license, birth certificate, and social security card with you at all times ESPECIALLY when you are not on the ship. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    I am going on the same cruise on Oct 3rd. Can't wait!!!
    I have been on 13 cruises before but never Europe so it's a first for me. FI has only been on one cruise so he is down for anything, lol.
    I have to agree with everything CMGr says with suggestions, minus the part about Europe since I have never been.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards