Military Brides

Question about BAH and Marriage

Ok, so this might have been asked before, but I can't find it, so I'm asking it myself.

FI and I are getting married May 6, 2011. He's an E-4 stationed in in Northern VA and I live in the Chicago area as I'm finishing up college. I would LIKE to move out there and move in together as soon as we're married, but FI doesn't think we can get BAH or backpay for BAH for at least an entire pay period. That would mean that I can't move out there until the BAH kicks in, which isn't something I want to do. FI is on TDY until Thanksgiving, so he can't really go to Finance on base to get these questions answered and it's really bothering me, so I thought I'd ask other Knotties with previous experience.

Can anyone tell me how this works? Is it possible for him to move off base and receive BAH BEFORE we get married so that we have a place I can move into as soon as we're married? Can we get a place as soon as we're married and receive backpayed BAH? Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Visit Military.weddings.com

image 155 Invited
image 102 Attending
image 40 Regrets
image 13 Awaiting Reply
RSVP Date: March 11

Re: Question about BAH and Marriage

• edited December 2011
    Once you are married and enrolled in DEERS you will recieve BAH. It took ours 6 weeks, or 3 paychecks.

You will not recieve BAH for the time you aren't married if that's what your asking. But, if you do not move out right away you will recieve BAH from the time you got married. Does that make sense? When my H got his first pay with BAH added, there was half of that months, plus all of the previous months since we'd been married.

Why can't he go to Finance, or call them? They will have general info, even if he's TDY. 

ETA:   Is he in Tech School? Even without a dependent he should recieve BAH. When he is permanent party and not TDY he should be able to move off base....right?  I'm no expert.
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

H lived off base as an E-4 and recieved BAH before we got married.  He wasn't TDY though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    hattieshay, he's not in tech school. He's an enlisted 88Mic.
    But I've heard of people (not on his base, but in general) whose FI's moved off base and received single soldier BAH, then they moved in with their NH after the wedding. Does every base do this? Would it be possible for him to do this as an E-4?
    Or is waiting to move out there until the "with dependent" BAH kicks in our only option?

I guess I'm just super confused about our options and how all of the BAH stuff works.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 155 Invited
    image 102 Attending
    image 40 Regrets
    image 13 Awaiting Reply
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_question-bah-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7284cb86-7206-4efa-8e32-4a1aa5f52adaPost:410a836e-a463-4a3e-8e75-176527ab9a91">Re: Question about BAH and Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>H lived off base as an E-4 and recieved BAH before we got married</strong>.  He wasn't TDY though.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]

I'm quoting myself because I gave you a direct example of an E-4 who lived off base and recieved BAH before getting married.  I'm almost positive the rules about when you can do this are military wide, not base to base.
  • edited December 2011
    No that shouldn't be your only option. But, I think he has to be permanent party to live off base. Don't quote me, though. The only TDYer I know is living at the Air Force Inns hotel on base, fully paid for. (in California).

The best bet is for your FI to go to the housing office, and probably finance, if they can't answer everything. Housing will be able to give info about living off base. Or he can call the base directory and get the number.
  • edited December 2011
    Oops, sorry Sammy. I hadn't noticed your post. Sorry! That's good to know though. I'll definitely be sure to remind FI to talk to Finance about all of this when he gets the chance. Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 155 Invited
    image 102 Attending
    image 40 Regrets
    image 13 Awaiting Reply
    edited December 2011
    Not snippy just wanted to make sure you saw that...hopefully give you a little peace of mind.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, I forgot to correct myself. He IS permanent party, just on a TDY for a few months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 155 Invited
    image 102 Attending
    image 40 Regrets
    image 13 Awaiting Reply
  • edited December 2011
    he should be able to apply for BAH 60 days before you get married.  FI is applying on the 15th because we will be doing our JOP january 15th so I'm moving to his base next month.  I'm not sure if everybase is like this but I would definatly get him to check into it.  Also we were told it would be about a month before we saw BAH or 2 pay periods.  Granted he will get single BAH for the 60 days but when you get married he will be able to fill out paperwork and take it to finance and get dependant BAH.  Hope this helped!
    edited December 2011
    I was wrong about being able to get BAH and live off base as an E-4.  H had special circumstances leading to him moving off base early.  You have to be an E-5.
  • edited December 2011
    Oooh. Ok. Yeah, I was talking to FI about single  E-4s moving off base and he was like, "I've never heard of that..." So that's good to know.
    Also, vlk263 , which base is FI at, if you don't mind me asking? Hopefully that could be an option for us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 155 Invited
    image 102 Attending
    image 40 Regrets
    image 13 Awaiting Reply
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_question-bah-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7284cb86-7206-4efa-8e32-4a1aa5f52adaPost:b5988c76-fe7e-4d0e-8611-bc1ccc61668b">Re: Question about BAH and Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wrong about being able to get BAH and live off base as an E-4.  H had special circumstances leading to him moving off base early.  You have to be an E-5.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]

<div>Even then, it depends on the service and the base. In the AF, NCOs get BAH. It's the way it is. Of course, NCO doesn't start until E5 in the AF. At MCBCP, they make some of the Marine E5s live in junior enlisted housing, rather than give them single BAH. They used to easily approve single BAH for E5s, now it's a huge special request that has to get signed off on multiple levels.</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards