Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Vendor Reviews - LONG LONG LONG!!!

These are from my 10/17/09 wedding.  I was waiting to get my photographs back before I wrote them all. 

Venue – GREEN OAKS CHAPEL – Arlington, Texas  A

The space is beautiful and I liked that we told them what we wanted and they took care of it.  They also supplied a lot of things like dinner ware, glasses, goblets, napkins, linens, etc so I didn’t have to rent all of those items.  I took all of my stuff on the Thursday before and everything was set up perfectly on Saturday for the wedding.  The only complaint I have is that I waited for over an hour for someone to show up on Thursday so that I could drop off the alcohol.  It took me getting Justin to pull property records to get the owners home number to get a hold of someone.  The owner came right up though and she did apologize that no one had written down the appointment in the book.  There are two owners, Carol and Teri.  Teri is SUPER sweet and is extremely creative.  Carol is also nice but she is a bit more pushy and blunt so I prefer to deal with Teri when I need something.  All in all it was a great choice and I was happy with them.

Caterer – CRO CATERING – Dallas, Texas  A+

Dawn was so nice to work with and communicated very quickly with me.  Everything was done via phone/email.  She worked out a menu that fit into our budget and the food was AMAZING!  People are still complementing the lasagna.  Everything was set up beautifully and in plenty of time.  The staff served everything (even though it was buffet style) for portion control and it worked out wonderfully!  I also had a coupon for $250 off from the bridal show so I got out pretty nicely on a full out dinner.  I highly recommend CRO!

Cake – CANDY HAVEN – Denton, Texas B

The cake was there on time and decorated the way I had asked for.  The flavor was not as good as I remember Candy Haven cakes to be but it was still good.  My biggest complaints are

1.        Every time my mom called to make a payment on the cake, they would tell her the balance was the full price.  She would argue with them and they would pull the file and after 30 minutes, they would find where she had made a previous payment.  This happened 3 times!  It was somewhat of a headache.

2.       The biggest complaint was that they told us we needed 7 yards of rhinestones for the cake trimming.  My mom pushed back and said she thought that seemed like way too much and even measured the “fake” cake they had there to get dimensions but they insisted on 7 yards.  We paid  $14.95 a yard for the rhinestones and they only used about 1.5 yards!!!  Now we have all this rhinestone trimming left over that we paid a lot for. 

Dress – LEWISVILLE BRIDAL – Lewisville, Texas  A+++

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my dress!  I originally found it at Terry Costa but Lewisville Bridal gave me a much better price (about 300 less) so I ordered it from them.  The dress came in early and was perfect.  I highly recommend Lewisville Bridal!!

MOB Dress – MOCKING BIRD BRIDAL – Dallas, Texas  F

The dress was beautiful (Jasmine Couture collection) but that was where the good stopped.  They measured my mom to be three different sizes in the top, bottom, and waist.  The largest size put her in the “plus size range” so she was charged the extra fee for the larger size.  The dress was about 2 weeks late even though she paid for super rush delivery (another $60) and when she picked it up it pretty much fell off of her.  Becky Fowler worked with it and took it up about 4 dress sizes and it still was a bit big on the top.  Apparently Mockingbird is known for having people order things too big so that their alterations people will make more money and they get kickbacks from the alterations people.  I felt like they really took advantage of my mom and I would NOT recommend them!

Tuxedo Rental – AL’S FORMAL WEAR – Dallas/Houston/Abilene  B+

A lot of things went wrong with the tux’s including some shirts being way too small, some jackets being way too big, pants not being hemmed right, etc.  It took a lot of running around and switching but they got it all right in the end.  I would use them again because at least they made sure to get us what we needed when things were wrong.

Bridesmaid Dresses – DENTON BRIDAL COMPANY – C

Denton Bridal had a great selection and great prices.  The problem was with their customer service (or lack of).  We were told the dresses would be in by September 17th.  The last one finally arrived on October 14th (3 days before the wedding).  I would call and was told I had to speak with Anthony but that he wasn’t there….then I’d get a call back about 2 or 3 days later and he would say he didn’t know, he knew that Levkof had shipped the dress on a certain date but they weren’t sure where it was or why it wasn’t here yet, etc.  I felt like he wanted to help but didn’t have the means to do so.  I think they need to extend their “promise dates” by a few weeks so that Brides aren’t getting their dresses 2-4 weeks late!  I appreciate that Anthony kept apologizing so that is why I gave them a C instead of an F.

Alterations – BECKY FOWLER- Irving, Texas A+++++++++++++++++++++++

Becky is the most wonderful lady in the whole world.  She treats you like a princess and makes you feel so beautiful.  She did amazing work on my dress taking in the corset and replacing the hand beaded lace where you could not even tell anything had been done.  She did all the work on my bridesmaid’s dresses and turned my mom’s dress from a nightmare to something beautiful.  She also worked on Brayden’s dress at the absolute very last minute (day before wedding) since we didn’t get it in until so late.  She is the only person I’ll ever use for my alterations going forward!

Flowers – HAUTE FLORAL – Kristen Wolchik in Allen, Texas  B

Kristen is a very sweet person and I think she has some great talent.  She and I worked out my flowers over email so that could be part of the problem.  While my flowers were pretty, they weren’t exactly what I wanted.  I had said I wanted all white Dutch tulips and white roses in my bouquet along with some diamond jewels.  My bouquet had some other type of tulip in it that was very brown around the edges.  I also counted 3 jewels in my bouquet so you couldn’t really even see them.  The bridesmaid’s bouquets were supposed to be red with a few white tulip accents and jewels.  Instead they were red with a few little white flowers and one or two jewels in each bouquet.  I also did not think the mothers corsages were that pretty…they were just two red flowers with some greenery when I wanted red and white flowers with jewels.  I think it was probably just a miscommunication and my lack of knowledge on flower types could also have caused some issues.  I just don’t think we got what we paid for when it came to the flowers.  I have seen some of Kristen’s other work though and it was beautiful so maybe this was just a fluke??

DJ – SOUNDS SPECTACULAR – Robert Williams in Arlington, Texas  A++++++

Robert was very nice and did a GREAT job!  He kept everyone dancing and informed as to what was going on through the night.  He even coordinated the music to the slideshow we had at the reception.  He gave us a great price since we only had a 3 hour reception instead of 4.  He called back immediately or emailed when I sent him messages.  He followed our song list exactly….he was great!!!

Photography – AVERY BLISS STUDIOS – Allen, Texas  A

Annette Taylor is the photographer that runs this studio and she has a great talent!  My bridals were FABULOUS!!!  They looked like something out of a magazine.  My wedding pictures are great too.  They aren’t as good as the bridals but I’m sure that’s because Bridals are staged so you have the perfect lighting and weddings are not.  We also ran very short on time so we didn’t get a lot of the shots I had hoped for but that wasn’t her fault.  The only negative thing I have to say is that I felt like she sort of stressed me out on the wedding day.  She kept coming to me asking how much longer until we were ready and telling me that we were losing daylight so we needed to hurry.  I couldn’t help that and I was having trouble getting everyone rounded up.  I felt like she should have gone to my mom or MIL or MOH instead of coming to me over and over.  Other than that, she was great and brought a whole team.  I highly recommend Avery Bliss, especially for Bridals!

Rings – ROBBINS BROTHERS (A++) and ZALES (F)–

Robbins Brothers has been great.  I highly recommend them.  They are professional and very helpful.  Zales on the other hand was HORRIBLE!  First, they forgot to place the special order so after 4 weeks, I called them and they spent 30 minutes searching for the order.  Finally they found it but since they used a generic SKU, they didn’t know what to order!  I had to go back up there and do the whole thing again.  We also purchased the extended warranty plan and were told we could bring the ring in to have it re-dipped and polished any time we wanted while we waited.  A few weeks ago, we took FI’s ring in to have it done because it got very scratched on the HM.  Now, they have no jewelers in the store so they have to send your ring off to have it serviced and it takes 3-4 weeks to get it back!  I was not happy!  I would not use Zales again for anything!

Veils by Leslie – Online – A+++++

My veil was custom made and was only $65!!!  I had it in less than 2 weeks and it was perfect.  This was one of the easiest things I purchased for the wedding!

Music – ARIA STRINGS – A+++++++++++++++++++++

Aria was so wonderful!  The music was amazing (I could hear it while I was getting dressed) and everyone was so professional!  They were very easy to deal with, were right on time, and were so nice!  I highly recommend them!!

Limo – ATEX LIMO – A++++++++++++

Tony was great!  He gave me an amazing deal for our 1 way transfer to the airport, was on time, and was very professional!  I highly recommend using them for stress free transportation!

Honeymoon CARNIVAL CRUSE LINES – A++++

We loved our cruise.  WE went out of Puerto Rico and spent 7 days in the southern Caribbean.  We visited 7 islands in 7 days so it was amazing.  Everyone was so nice and the penthouse suite they upgraded us to was AMAZING! 

AMERICAN AIRLINES A++++++

American got us to Miami and then on to Puerto Rico 26 minutes EARLY (that never happens)!  They checked our bags for free and were very nice!

Hilton Caribe – San Juan A+++++

We stayed a couple extra days in Puerto Rico after the cruise and we stayed at the Hilton Carribe San Juan.  It was very nice.  It was a resort on the beach with swim up bars, shopping, etc.  I wish we would have had more time to stay there!  If we ever get to go back to San Juan, we’ll be sure to stay at the Caribbe!

Re: Vendor Reviews - LONG LONG LONG!!!

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay, so glad everything was almost perfect!  I had the same disappointment with my cake--it tasted so much better at the tasting than it did at my wedding. I'm sure these great reviews will help others!

Are you glad it's over or sad?  :)  I go back and forth...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girl, I tried to be complete...I hope I didn't leave anyone out.  I am glad the stress is over but I am kinda having some withdrawls from it.  It's like ok, what now?  I saw your last post about not having motivation to go work out....I've only been 3 times since my wedding!  I usually work out 4-6 times a week.  I have gained 6 pounds so I started back to reality today.....no more ice cream at 10 PM with the hubby!  I see why they say it's easy to let yourself go when your happy!!  Your pictures are so beautiful!  I am so glad yours turned out so well! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I forgot one!

Make up was done by Kristy Luv and she did a pretty good job.  I thought the make up she did for my bridals looked a little better than what she did for the wedding but I hadn't slept in two days and I was sick so my eyes were super puffy.  I guess she just couldn't do much about that.

Hair was done by Misti Michael-Caudle from The Elms Salon in Denton.  She did a FABULOUS job on everyone's hair and she is a sweetie too!  Highly recommend both ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!  I loved my wedding.  I was sad at first but I think I'm OK now.  Work is crazy and we have the holidays coming so I have enough to think about.  Yeah, I have GOT to get back in the gym.  Hopefully I can get more motivated! 

Oh wait--did Kristi Luv do your makeup and hair or did you do it yourself?  I meant to ask you when I saw the pics of you putting on mascara!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the detailed and informative reviews, especially about Mockingbird Bridal.  One of my bm and I went bm shopping last week and we stopped by there.  The price they quoted on the BM dress (Watters & Watters)  I was looking for was excellent.  It beat out all the other places I have checked.   Good to know what I am working with and what to look out for.  

Now that I know their trick, I will be know how to handle them if I did to use them to order my BM dresses.

Once again, congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful married life.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews! Sounds like for the most part everything went great. Very interesting about the cake.
  • Options
    amybrentamybrent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lindsay,

Was there a reason you didn't have Kristie do your hair? I had a trial with her for both hair and makeup, and it went pretty well, but I noticed that she seemed to be more concerned with what she wanted to do than the picture that I showed her, although it seemed to be close.  She's the least expensive I've found, so I think I'm going to go with her, but I just wondered what your experience was....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate to butt in here but I am going to. Maybe I can save you a little bit of a headache on your wedding day. I used Krisit Luv the day after Lindsey did for hair and makeup for my wedding and while she did do a great job on makeup she did an awful job on my BM's hair, and I would say mine as well but I pretty much bought the curling iron I wanted her to use and told her how to curl my hair so it turned out great, but all of my BM's individually told me that Kristi did not listen to what they had to say about their ideas for their own hair and she just did what she wanted.

The end result of my BM's hair is that they could of done as good of, in not a better job doing it themselves. I had 2 hair trials with her and both times I left not getting what I wanted at all, even after showing her pictures. But she is the cheapest around! lol I just wouldnt use her for hair again. Now makeup is another story! Great job all around there. Sorry for the mini rant I just thought you should know.
  • Options
    amybrentamybrent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for letting me know! Did your BMs let her know that that's not what they wanted? I think I'll talk to her beforehand and just let her know that there are some concerns from my BMs about being able to have their hair done as they want it.  Hopefully she'll get the idea...
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was measured for my wedding dress (at Mii's), my measurements put me in three different sizes too but they had to order the biggest size for that biggest part.  It makes sense to me and that meant that it was going to be bigger in those other areas.  That meant that the chest was HUGE!  If they had ordered the dress based on that smallest size, then it probably wouldn't have come back with her being able to get it on.  I see why they did it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Julie -
    Even the part that they said was supposed to be the smallest size (the bottom) was way way way too big.  Becky said that they are known for having people over order. 

As far as Kristie goes - I loved her for the make up.  I can't comment on hair because she didn't do mine.  The reason I didn't use her for both is because Misti is my regular hair dresser and I wanted to use her for my hair since she is familiar with what I want/like.  She doesn't do make up application though so I had to find a make up artist.  Based on what others said about hair, I'd talk to Kristie up front about it or plan to use someone else for hair.  Depending on how many BM's you have, it might be better to use two people anyway since it takes about an hour for hair and 45 minutes for make up.  We had 6 people getting their hair/make up done so it would have taken forever if I used only one person.

Good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_vendor-reviews-long-long-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4f7692c8-1c14-4431-a20d-84487c7871f4Post:dcd98671-81b3-4d12-9aa6-3a70f75d032f">Re: Vendor Reviews - LONG LONG LONG!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for letting me know! Did your BMs let her know that that's not what they wanted? I think I'll talk to her beforehand and just let her know that there are some concerns from my BMs about being able to have their hair done as they want it.  Hopefully she'll get the idea...
    Posted by amybrent[/QUOTE]

I had all ready left the suite when she started on their hair so all I had to go from was my personal experience with her and my hair and what they told me later. I know 2 of them told her what they wanted and 1 for sure told her what she didnt want and she did it anyway. Another one of my BM's had to go back and straighten her hair to get it to look right. I would take Lindsays advice on this and maybe find someone else for hair.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you so much for these reviews! I am definitely going to check out the places you gave at least a B to! :D
  • Options
    MististylistMististylist member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great review, Lindsay. I enjoyed being apart of your special day!
    - Misti Michael-Caudle
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards