Not Engaged Yet
Options

Got the side-eye today.

I got the side-eye from a lady I work with... She came through my line at the end of my shift and made a strange comment about my ring and asked if it was an engagement ring. The rest of the conversation went like this:

Her: “I see.” Just the tone of her voice made it sound like she did not approve.
Me: “We’ve been together seven years.”
She looks at me. “But you’re in high school.”
Me: “Uh, no I’m 24. I just finished grad school in December.”
Her: “Oh!” Gets more friendly. “So when’s the wedding?”

I wonder how many other people are giving me the side-eye because they think I’m in high school. Not that I really care, but jeez! I know, I know "I’ll appreciate it when I’m older,” but sometimes it’s really annoying to have people think you’re a lot younger than you really are.  >_< 

Anyone else get the high schooler thing and are a lot older? Do you like it or hate it?
~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Got the side-eye today.

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    When I went MOB-dress shopping with my a couple weeks ago, we walked into this dress shop and the sales associate looked at me and asked if we were shopping for Homecoming stuff.

Ha. No, but thank you.

She got really awkward when she learned when I was getting married, and asked if I was in college.  Ha.  No, again.  Graduated 4 years ago.

So yes, I do wonder sometimes whether people are looking at me and judging me because they think I'm 18.  But, in general, I like looking younger than my age.  It's fun to surprise people and make them feel awkward.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I can kinda relate, people think I'm a teen mom when I'm out with my son because I look young (mind you I am only 23, but I dont think I look like I'm 18). I've even had people not believe he is mine which was kind of offensive...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I get it a lot.  I've never had any one tell me I'm too young to be engaged.  I get the age thing everywhere though, especially when purchasing alcohol.  They squint at me, squint at my ID, squint at me again.  One guy even said "...alright, I'll let this one go".  Ugh, what does that even mean?! It is frustrating but it is nice to be looking young!
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Surprisingly I haven't had any "you're too young" comments.  I've actually had more "gosh, FINALLY" comments.  I'm only 24, but a lot of people from my high school got married right after graduation and already have 2 or 3 kids, so I guess to them I'm getting a late start.

I remember going to a friends baby shower when we were 19 and her H's family was there and asked me how many kids I had.  I said none and they gave me a weird look like "why not".  Then they asked what my husband's name was and I told them I wasn't even dating anyone and they looked at me like I had 2 heads.  They finally asked me "well what do you do then?" (as in 'if you aren't a wife or a mother, what purpose do you have in life')  When I told them I was going to college, you'd have thought I just dropped my pants and shiit in their living room or something.  I don't think I've seen that friend since...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG!  Deburnin, I missed your engagement!  I'm such an arsehole friend!

I just read all about it in your bio!  Congrats sweetie!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't get it as much anymore but I used to get it a lot.  I am very tiny 4'10" and have a pretty high pitched voice.  It works well for theater, but it would bug be getting checked for ID everywhere and even being asked for back up ID as well.   I think what helps over the years is that I carry myself as a 32 year old and dress like it.  I could totally dress younger and act younger and will do it mostly for auditions to get younger roles.  

It does suck but eventually it goes away over time. The worst place though was work, most jobs I have require me to be on phones and I sound like I am twelve on the phone.  I have to focus my voice in a lower range when I answer the phone at work.  lol

Anniversary

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Jem, I LOL'd at that.

When I was trying on wedding dresses one day, some other ladies thought I was about 21. I said no, I'm 30.

Of course, then they said, "First marriage?"

"Um, yeah, first marriage."

My friends didn't start getting married until their late 20s. While I do know someone who got married for the second time at 28, that seems really weird to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I can totally relate on the looking younger than you are thing!

I'm currently a substitute teacher and I sub at middle schools quite often as well as for 5th grade classes and I'm constantly getting mistaken for a student especially in the middle schools. I've had a campus security officer yell at me because he thought I was ditching class when in reality, it was my prep period and I was going to use the restroom. And I've had a staff member get after me for being in the teachers lounge because she thought I was a student. It's always funny to respond with "Oh I'm actually a sub for Ms/Mr So and So" and pull out my badge to show them.

I know that as I get older, I'll be thankful that I look so young.. but at times right now it's pretty darn annoying!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    "People destined to meet will do so, apparently by chance, at precisely the right moment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-side-eye-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5a951b4d-abc1-4f6d-be02-7b1a8cbf54c3Post:e8171177-f594-4448-8e70-a6dc67d4c7b2">Re: Got the side-eye today.</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG!  Deburnin, I missed your engagement!  I'm such an arsehole friend! I just read all about it in your bio!  Congrats sweetie!
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks Shoes. :) There were quite a few other engagements around the same time, so you’re forgiven. ;)</div>
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahaha, funny stories.

The funniest one I can think of is at the bridal salon. Some lady from Men's Warehouse (she was trying to get people to buy mens warehouse stuff at this place. weird...) came up to me and asked me flat out, "How old are you?!?!" I told her and she looked at me all strange. Granted, I am only 21. But still. People say I look like I am 17. I hate it. But I know that when I'm 40, I'll be happy.

Just the other day when FI and I were at his old college's homecoming tailgating thing, some police officer came up to me and asked to see my ID. He didn't ID anyone else. A little embarassing, but whatever.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never had someone think I was still in high school. I feel like I look pretty close to my age. But, when I am out with my mom and my youngest sister (she is 10) people always think I am her mom. My mom looks about 40 (she is 48) so I'm not sure why they think I'd be the mom. Guess I look like I am about 30 : /
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pockysquirrelpockysquirrel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_got-side-eye-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5a951b4d-abc1-4f6d-be02-7b1a8cbf54c3Post:6b77856b-878d-4936-a6a5-f4821946f278">Re: Got the side-eye today.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I can totally relate on the looking younger than you are thing!  I'm currently a substitute teacher and I sub at middle schools quite often as well as for 5th grade classes and I'm constantly getting mistaken for a student especially in the middle schools. I've had a campus security officer yell at me because he thought I was ditching class when in reality, it was my prep period and I was going to use the restroom. And I've had a staff member get after me for being in the teachers lounge because she thought I was a student. It's always funny to respond with "Oh I'm actually a sub for Ms/Mr So and So" and pull out my badge to show them. I know that as I get older, I'll be thankful that I look so young.. but at times right now it's pretty darn annoying!
    Posted by PurpleCupcakesAndCoffee[/QUOTE]

Yep, my sister (24) has had this happen an awful lot. She's 5'2" and a high school teacher. Her students are always taller than she is.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had it both ways. Last weekend, I went to a college football game with my FI, his parents, my FSIL's husband, his parents and his brother. We were walking into a bar before the game and the guy carding people singled me out of the group. At first I thought he was joking so I laughed and started walking forward again, but he wasn't and then I was quite embarrased!

One time, when my mom was pregnant with my little brother (I was 18) we were eating at IHOP. My little sister (2) was sitting on my side while my mom was sitting on the other side with my grandma. Literally, two couples at two different times during our meal came up to me to comment on how well behaved my child was. I was stunned that they actually thought she was mine especially since my mom  was clearly 7 months pregnant.
  • Options
    QuiltingNurseQuiltingNurse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Today at work was my worst experience. I was orientating a new nurse who is my age (22) and one of my patients asked if she was my daughter. I felt so badly about myself for the rest of the day. The new girl looks about 17ish, but in no way do I look old enough to have a daughter even close to that age! Most often my patients are asking me if I think I will like Nursing when I graduate, I have never had anyone think I am old enough to be a mother to a teenager.
  • Options
    Allisonesq77Allisonesq77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ALWAYS get carded for cigarettes (yup, smoker here). I'll be 34 in a couple of weeks. So yeah, I totally get it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Much to my daughter's chagrine, we get the whole "You must be sisters! There is no way you are old enough to be her mom!" At 33 I love it! But my daughter despises it lol. So really it is all about perspective.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    People often think I'm still in high school just by glancing at me but once they start talking to me they usually place me older than I really am. I'm physically 16 and mentally 35- it confuses people.
    I actually had a woman who was shopping at my work ask me when I was getting married and I had to embarassingly tell her I wasn't engaged and that it was just a promise ring. Way worse to have that conversation than yours- trust me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A few days after FI proposed, my mother and I were shopping and ran into a CW of hers. She told her the news and I showed her the ring. You would have thought I told the lady that I just ran over her dog and spit on it's dead carcas. She freaked out and acted like it was the most tragic news in the world. I wasn't quite sure why she was so upset, and I finally said, "You do know I'm 23, right?" Then she calmed down. She thought I was in high school. Undecided

Sometimes I like it because I think, "Oh I must look so young and vibrant." And then other times I'm like "I must dress/act like a high schooler. Yikes."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will totally appreciate it when you are older. All the annoyances will be worth it. I have my 20th high school reunion summer 2012 and I am ashamed (barely) to admit how much I enjoy going through the Facebook page and seeing how almost everyone looks at least 10 years older than me if not more.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm the opposite; I look older than my real age. People tell me it's because I'm "so mature" which I take to mean I'm no fun! haha. I never got carded for drinks or movies, that was cool I guess. BUT as we get older you'll still look young and I guess I'll look like an old hag....so I think you're making out on the better end here! lol.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tend to be mistaken for about 5 years younger than I am - so yes, I get mistaken for a high schooler but I'm almost done my undergrad.

I feel that I dress age-appropriately, and I act my age (or even a few years older) as well. At the end of the day though, I'm 5'4" and 105lbs soaking wet so I have no curves, and I do have a fairly plain hairstyle. It gets a little exhausting some days, but I've looked young for my age my whole life so I'm kinda used to it.

I fail to believe I'll appreciate it when I'm older though. I'm petite, which makes me look young, and also makes buying age-appropriate clothes (and clothes I actually like) a major hassle, which will only get worse the older I get.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    One of my friends from college flew home recently to visit his parents for a few days, so he didn't have his car there.  He went to the library and was waiting for his mom to pick him up and one of the librarians asked him "won't you be so excited to finally get your driver's licence soon?"  He was like "Um...I'm 24, I've had my licence for 8 years."

That story cracks me up especially because he said he hadn't shaved that day, so he had a full 5 o'clock shadow going and she still thought he was only 16.    I think some people are just really bad judges of age.  LOL
    Anniversary
  • Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm a youth director and I was driving a bunch of high school girls and their friends to a mission project and one of the friends asked what school I go to. When I told her I graduated from college, she freaked out. She thought I was 16, YOUNGER than she was!! 

Cupcakes, when I was student teaching, a teacher chased me down the hallway telling me I had to go to the cafeteria. I ignored her because I thought she was yelling at another student behind me. She followed me all the way to my Coop. Teacher's room where my teacher informed her who I was. She was very embarrassed and every time she saw me the rest of the semester she was very friendly!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get a lot of people thinking I'm 16 or 17 and I'm 22.  A lot of customers at my jobs will ask me how I'm doing in high school or what high school do I go to.  They always look so shocked when I tell them I graduated from high school over four years ago.  I often get accused of my Driver's License and State ID being fake (that annoys the heck out of me since I will use the other to back the first one up, and still get accused of having fakes)  However, what's best is when BF shaves his beard, he goes from looking 25 to 16.  He gets carded for just about everything, which makes me giggle.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards