Nevada-Las Vegas

Shellac Manicure

I decided to try one so I bought a groupon for half off! I'm excited. Anyone have any pros, cons, details, words of warning? 

I did hear the colors are limited.
Anniversary

Re: Shellac Manicure

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it the same as the Opi Axxium?  I loved my Axxium manicures - I got a french for the wedding, then have had two more back here.  The only issue is that now that I decided not to get another one, my nails are pretty weak. 

ETA - I just read up some more on Shellac and it sounds way better than the Axxium...
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    HUH? I have no info..but an very intrigued. I got rid of my acrylics cause they were a PITA and damaging my nails way to much. Is this like a gel nail?
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah it's some kind of gel that is supposed to last 7-10 days minimum before a retouch. I hear you on the acrylics ... they look good but sure do jack your nails up.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Just read really quick and they sound like a good alternative...I might have to see if I can find a place that does them.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • edited December 2011
    I love me Shellac.  I can make the french last a good 3 weeks before I start noticing anything. You could even stretch it 4 weeks.  The color shows the growth a little more quickly.  It's a gel based polish that helps makes your nails stronger and lasts through a lot of wear and tear.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting a mani/pedi (LivingSocial deal ;)) on Saturday and may upgrade to Shellac.  I'll let you know!  I've actually never had a mani before... :O
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I saw a commercial about this last night.  Looks very interesting.  I'm so glad I got rid of my acrylics, it was too much work or should I say more up keep than what I cared or wanted to do.
  • edited December 2011
    i am going in 2 weeks to get mine (before vacation).  i am excited - quick drying and no chipping without damaging my nails?  sign me up!  i hope its as good as i have heard!
  • edited December 2011
    My BFF does this and LOVES it, she gets a good 3 weeks out of hers.  I am getting mine done for the wedding next week before we leave.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ebony- I loved it. It stays so nice for up to 4 weeks like mhoney said. Have it professionally removed though. Most places only charge about 5 dollars to take it off but it makes all the difference. Last time I removed it myself my nails would bend and peel right off. They were super weak. Other than that it's the best ever.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so going to try this!
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My hair stylist uses shellac, and says the polish stays on through all the chemicals she touches every day.  I might get it done before the wedding & HM so that I don't have to worry about my nails. 
    imageimageimage
  • lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Got it once pretty recently and loved it.  I am the Patron Saint of Chipped Nails (seriously, no matter what I do those suckers chip the next day- a normal professional manicure usually buys me an entire 48 hours before chippage begins) and my shellac lasted 3 weeks.  

That said, it is god awful for your nails, and is essentially the same thing as acrylics.  But do I care?  I'm already on the artificial sugar, cell phone radiation, too-much-sun-damage plan so I feel like my body has nothing else to lose.
  • edited December 2011
    lsvensson, you crack me up!

Thanks ladies, I'm looking forward to it.  I may use the groupon this weekend actually :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards