Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Mom turns toast into b!tchfit

She's back! At our wedding on Saturday, my mother decided to use her speech time to complain about the changed venue and "missing" programs, and to offer her condolences to BM for the loss of her baby. We explicitly asked her not to turn our wedding into a memorial service, not because it's "all about us," but because the BM wanted a night to forget about her horrible past few months and I didn't want the whole bridal party, including my wife, to be crying in the bathroom over my mothers big fvcking mouth. Which was exactly what happened. After she finished the speech, the teary-eyed party all went to the bathroom to calm each other down and return as quickly as possible. Apparently my mother considered this rude and followed my wife in to scold her for being a bad host. My wife politely pointed out that my mom had it backwards and her toast was completely inappropriate. My mother left without saying anything to anyone. She did, however, take the time to grab her gift. I just... Ugh.

Re: Mom turns toast into b!tchfit

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I am so sorry - I've read your prior posts and your mom is crazy.  I mean that in the nicest way possible, but she's BSC.  Maybe take this as an opportunity to start severing ties.  Because if you think the wedding is bad, wait until your wife gets pregnant with your first child.  oh god.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh groom.  Your mom is a piece for sure.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  I agree with others.  start cutting ties.  I can't believe she took her gift with her. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    Oh goodness.  I remember your posts well.  I am so sorry to  hear that your mother acted of her own accord and made things so awkward and unpleasant on your wedding day.  I hope the rest was lovely and memorable!
  • Options
    How horrible!  I'm sorry she did this to you.  I agree with PP...this seems to be a good time to sever those ties.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I haven't spoken with her since she left the reception, and neither have any of my brothers. My sister still lives with my parents, so the silent treatment would just be awkward. My dad is livid about it also. He tends to keep his opinion to himself when it comes to her antics, but I guess he's just over it, too.
  • Options
    Holy fluck!

Groom, I'm so sorry. I remember you well, and like you!

On the plus side...you're married!! That's awesome. Was everything fabulous aside from the BSC mother?
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Your mother is a horrible bii/tch from hell.  I am so sorry that she did this to you.

Congatulations on your marriage.  I hope that after some time passes you can remember the good times instead of the bad ones, and have predominantly happy memories of the day.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Your mom is nuts.  I remember your posts. 
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I'm amazed anyone thought it was a good idea to give this lady a microphone in the first place. 

Groom, congrats on your wedding and sorry for your horrible mom. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Sorry GNA about your mom, but congratulations on your recent nuptials!
  • Options
    That really sucks what your mom did but congratulations on your marriage and I hope it went smoothly overall!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that  your mother is BSC.  What a hosebeast.

I hope the rest of your wedding is wonderful.

I'm glad the rest of your family is on your team when it comes to her. 

• Options
    Oh buddy - I am so sorry.  I do hope you consider cutting ties or having incredibly distant ones with her.  I also hope the rest of your family uses this lesson to make sure she can't hurt people like this again.

I hope the BM was ok after all of this.  Enduring the loss of a child is indescribable, but to have someone pull a stunt like this at her expense borders on unforgivable.  

I'm so sorry this happened but I do want to wish you a happy marriage with your new bride.
  • Options
    Man, your mother is a piece of work.  If I was your bride, I probably would have gone bananas when she came in the bathroom.

You dont need that crazypants in your life.  I hope you seriously consider removing her from your life, both for your sake and the sake of your new wife (and future family!)

Anyway, kudos for making it through that without totally losing it and congrats on being married!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Geezum your mom is crazy.   Based on your other posts, I'm not surprised that she had to make herself the center of attention like that.   She's got issues.  I hope everything else went well though.  Congratulations!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your marriage.  Sorry about your mom though.  Hope you were able to enjoy the before and after portions of the evening.
  • Options
    eeks.

Sorry you and your wife had to deal with this.  Hopefully you can remember the wonderful parts of the day, and this doesn't completely sour the wedding for you.
  • Options
    I'm in shock. When I read your other posts it didn't seem that your mother would be evil enough to actually make a spectacle of herself in that way at your wedding. I'm so sorry. Hopefully the rest of your wedding was wonderful. Congrats on being married!
  • Options
    The rest of the wedding really was fantastic. We're trying to just focus on the great parts and leave her sh!t out of it. And Steph? You're dead on with that comment. Worst decision ever.
  • Options
    Well, the good news is that no one thinks she did a good thing.  The only leg she has to stand on is that of being "the mom".

Personally, I'd cut ties at least for now.  Anyone who is that evil is someone that I wouldn't want in my life at all - particularly not in any kind of nurturing role.  I'd rather have the void.
  • Options

Am I the only one who said "Oh no, what now..." when I saw OP's name and the word "mom" in the title!?

OP - I am so sorry about your mom's continued antics. Kudos to you and your wife (!!!) for trying to be the bigger people about all of it and just ignore. I don't know that I would have stayed composed for half of what you've dealt with. YAY that the rest of the wedding went well, though!! And ultimately, you're married now :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mom-turns-toast-into-btchfit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4077efcc-7287-4fc1-be95-b393c4e5e1c7Post:d2eb7093-f216-47ac-bf29-d87ecb630787">Re: Mom turns toast into b!tchfit</a>:
    [QUOTE]The rest of the wedding really was fantastic. We're trying to just focus on the great parts and leave her sh!t out of it. And Steph? You're dead on with that comment. Worst decision ever.
    Posted by GroomNeedsAdvice[/QUOTE]

<div>Hope it didn't seem too harsh - I have a melodramatic parent of my own (I'm looking at <em>you</em>, Dad) and I decided when I was approximately 15 years old that he was getting nowhere near a microphone at any celebration of mine ever, so it was just the first thing that popped into my head.</div><div>
    </div><div>You appear to have a good sense of humor about it all though, and your fam is on your side, so it sounds like you've got this under control, which is a good thing.</div>
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Not too harsh at all. I, apparently unlike many, would not be offended by what someone says when I post on a public forum. Especially when it's obviously with good intentions. I'm sorry to hear you also have parental issues. At a certain point, you just had to say effff this and laugh. That's where I am now.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry she pulled that crap. I cringed when I saw our post title. You seem to have such a great attitude about it, I'm not sure I would handle it so well. 

But congrats on your wedding! Do we get to see some pictures?
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    How sad!  Your mom is a real trip GNA.

But congrats on your marriage.  All the best!
  • Options
    willywally5willywally5 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Oh. My. Goodness. I just read this whole big ol' saga, complete with the previous posts about the programs and all the other crazy. Yegads. You have earned your place in heaven having to put up with the woman for your whole life. How on earth did you turn out normal? Cuz you seem like a really nice kid. (I'm a mom!) Yegads. 

Congrats on yoru nuptials and best wishes to you and your wife! I hope it's smooth sailing for you from here on out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards