Students
Options

How do some of you handle the stress?

Hi Everyone!

So I have been engaged since last January, and wedding planning as been more of a chore than fun. To be honest, I don't have  a whole lot done. I was planning for a simple church wedding with a community center reception, then my Fiance burst my bubble. His parents were married there, which I thought they were married at a different church, so now he does not want to get married in the church because his divorced parents were.
So, now I am planning a wedding that I am not 100% happy about, and it has been more of a chore. We are having it outside at barn that has been converted into a dance hall. The huge problem is that there is so much more to do and plan for the wedding at this location compared to the one closer to us and everyone else. This new place is about a good hour away.

But anyway, I work full-time and go to school full-time. I am an EDU major and it is a little hard trying to juggle observation time into my work schedule. I only work M-F but it is a full eight hour day and then I don't get home from class till 10:30 on Mondays and Thursdays. We also own our home and my fiance is a firefighter. He is gone for 24 hours and home for 48 but then he works for a plumber on his days off from the fire house and he is also a very busy volunteer fire fighter. I love him, but he has not been taking this wedding planning seriously so it has been up to me.

Right now, I am beyond stressed out and almost started crying. I have been very snappy with my fiance today, which I feel horrible about. We are getting married in October and I feel like I have nothing done! How do some of you handle the stress?

Re: How do some of you handle the stress?

• Options
    I'm a full-time student and almost a full time worker (working around 30 hours a week).  Your FI should be willing to help you and you should both find something that makes both of you happy for the wedding.

For me, the only thing really stressful about the wedding is dealing with my mom who has to have her way all of the time.  I've been engaged since December of 2011 and am getting married this May, so we've had a lot of time to plan.  Plus my FI's been really helpful.  

Relax.  Take a deep breath.  Talk to your FI and see if he will help you make any decisions so you don't have to make so many on your own.  It's just one day.  The only thing that really matters is that you get to marry each other.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options

You have a lot on your plate.  Take a day off from wedding planning and spend some time with your FI. 

Then make a list of everything you need to do. Map it out for what weeks you need to get done.  You still have quite a while till your wedding and you don't need to be so stressed out about it.  hugs.  GL! 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    For me, the stress of being a full-time student, full-time employee, and trying to plan a wedding was WAAAAAY too much for me to try to handle alone. I was to the point where we were just going to elope and that was that. But then my cousin talked me off the ledge (figuratively of course) and offered to take over the wedding planning. This has been fantastic. Obviously, I'm still involved in the process, but she is taking care of calling around, making appointments, and coming up with additional ideas. Things have gone a lot more smoothely, and a lot more has gotten done in the last month and a half than in the 5 months prior. She has been a life saver. So, my advice is try to find somebody who knows you really well and is willing to help get stuff done. She doesn't neccessarily have to completely take over the reins as is my case, but just somebody that can take at least some of the work and stress load. But make sure it's somebody that you feel comfortable saying NO to, and she won't get overly offended. This is a big problem in my family, so my cousin has tried really hard to be neutral and just roll with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards