Military Brides
Options

invitation address question

I have two friends who are getting married within the next couple of months. They have asked me how to address the invitation to us. One has  never met my fiance (and probably may not until our wedding), and one is one of my bridesmaids and has met him at our engagement party.

Since he is active duty, his rank goes on the invitation. What order do the names go in? Should it be addressed to  "Miss MRM and SSgt TLS" since they know me and he is my "guest" or should it be addressed to "SSgt TLS and Miss MRM" since his rank needs to be written out? I
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: invitation address question

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally I would just tell them to send the invite with your names on them, without the rank.  We invited several active duty military and didn't put anything in regards to their rank on the invites, nor did we put H's rank on the invites themselves.  Its an invite coming to you, so are you really going to be upset if it doesn't have his rank?

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto DN. We're not putting the ranks on the invites either, for the active military guests or for my FI. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. My fiance's father is a retired Lt. Col. and I was told by both him and his mother that for all of our military guests, we had to put full rank on the invitations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My BFF's father is a retired officer.  I asked her mom how I should address their invite and she said it should be "Captain and Mrs. Hisfirstname lastname.  So that's how I sent it.  However, when I asked FI about the invites to the people he works with he said  not to put their rank and didn't provide me with any ranks so I just went with Mr. for the single men, Ms. for the single women, and Mr. and Mrs. for the married couples. 

BTW when that Captain's son got married he was listed as "Mr." on the invites.  Which is what made me ask in the first place because I thought he was "Captain" for the rest of his life but if his own son is calling him "Mister".......hence my confusion. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI also did not provide me with any ranks and doesn't want his rank on our programs or anything. Just its preference. He also doesn't want it to be super formal but comfortable for guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards