Getting in Shape
Options

Protein for vegetarians?

I have reached the point in my training where my trainer says I can't get any more toned or lose any more inches unless I incorporate more protein in my diet. Despite trying my best to keep this in mind, I typically hit 1/2 of my goal at best. My trainer said I should be getting 1 gram per body pound at least. I have looked at all of the lists of vegetarian protein sources, but none of them ever have more than 10 grams of protein. I'd have to eat 13 different things at that rate to get enough protein. Plus, I have to factor in other nutrients. What should I be doing? Should I just buy protein powder? Does anyone else have this issue?

Re: Protein for vegetarians?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Um...... 1 gram of protein per pound of weight is A LOT. Normally the recommendation is .7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. There is only so much protein your liver can process in one sitting or in one day. And any protein that doesn't get used up gets stored as fat. You do not need to increase protein to 1 gram per pound of body weight to lose weight. If anything, reduce carbs and increase fat. Although, if you do want to pack on muscle, you would likely have to increase both protein and overall calories. You will gain some fat along the way too, but that's the price to pay for building muscle. Then when you go into a cutting phase to shed fat, you inevitably lose a bit of muscle as well. C'est la vie. It's virtually impossible to noticeably build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

That being said, how much protein are you getting in a day? You likely don't need a gram per pound of body weight but you should be getting at least half a gram per pound of lean body mass. Are you vegan, or vegetarian? If the latter, eggs and Greek yogurt are a great option. Also, if you combine rice and beans you get a complete amino acid profile (a complete protein). 
  • Options
    Hi AndreaJulia, I am a carnivore, so I don't have that problem, but there are plant based protein powders out there. A cheap source for (conventional, I have never checked for vegetarian) protein is the bodybuilding.com store. Also, I have heard that the 1gram per 1 lb rule isn't an iron-clad rule. In general though, you need protein to have muscles grow. I would check into a daily post work out protein shake.

If you go the route of a conventional powder, I suggest checking the label. Currently H and I use protein that has little sugar, little saturated and trans fat and packs a protein punch (30 g per scoop), and that is lactose free. If you want, I can suggest a few brands, but I don't want to sound like an ad.
  • Options
    I also just want to throw out there the fact that I weight 155 pounds and am a big fat Southeast European meat-eater. And even *I* would find it a struggle to eat 155 g of protein in one day, let alone day in and day out. 155g is like half a whole roast chicken and then some. Seriously. You (general you, not OP) need protein. But not that much. Sheesh.
  • Options
    I typically get around 70 grams My lowest in the past 2 weeks was 50. My highest was 88 and I had 2 protein shakes and a protein bar that day. I was on the road that day, and it was definitely a convenience thing, and not necessarily a healthy day overall.

I am vegetarian not vegan, but I typically don't eat eggs. I realize that eggs are in a lot of thing I eat, but I can't bear the idea of actually eating an egg. I'm the same way with milk. It's weird, but I'm sure we all have our eating oddities.

I sometimes have a shake at the gym, but is it healthy to make it a regular part of my diet?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:272b0d69-1044-4d19-a99f-72f53c30ad29">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really, you can't find anything with more than 10g of protein?  What are you eating? Most beans have more than 10g of protein per serving, as do greek yogurt and tofu. ETA:  Though, I agree with pp that 1g per pound is a LOT of protein.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Okay, you're right. I do have a Greek yogurt for 16 grams in the morning usually. The tofu I use is Nasoya and it's only 9 grams. I don't ever make myself beans though I sometimes eat them when I'm out. Maybe I should consider that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:33a95cc9-960f-4bcb-86f6-ce55bd3fb2e5">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I typically get around 70 grams My lowest in the past 2 weeks was 50. My highest was 88 and I had 2 protein shakes and a protein bar that day. I was on the road that day, and it was definitely a convenience thing, and not necessarily a healthy day overall. I am vegetarian not vegan, but I typically don't eat eggs. I realize that eggs are in a lot of thing I eat, but I can't bear the idea of actually eating an egg. I'm the same way with milk. It's weird, but I'm sure we all have our eating oddities. I sometimes have a shake at the gym, but is it healthy to make it a regular part of my diet?
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think it's always better to chew rather than drink one's calories. That being said, I do have post-workout shakes on intense workout days (so 2-3 times a week at most).</div><div>
    </div><div>Can you handle eating fritattas or crustless quiches? I often make a "crustless quiche" (more like a well-baked fritatta) for lunch - whisk 6 eggs and 1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream, add chopped veggies and seasoning, and some cheese and cooked meat (optional). Then pour into a casserole dish and bake, and I've got 4 meals for the week to go right there.

</div>
  • Options
    I don't see why a shake would do harm, as long as the sugars, and fats are low. But maybe not take my advice, I should have specified: I currently don't drink it, but I used to drink one after every work out and I can't say that my health suffered or that I gained weight. I maintained on it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:a2672917-3662-45a0-80ca-bcd9fcd9f073">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see why a shake would do harm, as long as the sugars, and fats are low. But maybe not take my advice, I should have specified: I currently don't drink it, but I used to drink one after every work out and I can't say that my health suffered or that I gained weight. I maintained on it.
    Posted by meanpony[/QUOTE]

meanpony, what are some good brands?
  • Options
    meanponymeanpony member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    I liked Labrada Lean Body For Her. Don't be fooled by the meal replacement gimmick, I never used it as such, but always as post work out fueland liked it. I have only tried it in chocolate.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lab/lbfh.html
    The fat is a bit high, but the sugar is low and the carbs are apparently low, if you're into that.

The other one is Pro Complex. The sugar, fat, and carb values are lower on this one: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/pro.html. Tastes yummy in chocolate.

Then I have heard good things about Metabolic Nutrition's Protizyme. The numbers are decent, but lower in protein per scoop. I can't recommend a taste yet. I have gotten samples and will have to test them, once I incorporate shakes back into my diet. :)

All of these should be whey based and lactose free, unless I misread. 
    Anyway, I hope this helped a little.

Also waiting on FTL's response. Firsttimer's luck is vegan, I believe and maybe has tips and tricks up her sleeve that I can only dream about! lol

Edited to clear something up.
  • Options
    Whey protein is digested very quickly so it's great for post-workout meals but it doesn't fill you up for long. If you want something to hold you a bit longer, look for egg white protein.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:e0f171ec-37a9-4853-a53e-0fcee846494d">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whey protein is digested very quickly so it's great for post-workout meals but it doesn't fill you up for long. If you want something to hold you a bit longer, look for egg white protein.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

Great point! Thank you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:33a95cc9-960f-4bcb-86f6-ce55bd3fb2e5">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I typically get around 70 grams My lowest in the past 2 weeks was 50. My highest was 88 and I had 2 protein shakes and a protein bar that day. I was on the road that day, and it was definitely a convenience thing, and not necessarily a healthy day overall. <strong>I am vegetarian not vegan, but I typically don't eat eggs. I realize that eggs are in a lot of thing I eat, but I can't bear the idea of actually eating an egg. </strong>I'm the same way with milk. It's weird, but I'm sure we all have our eating oddities. I sometimes have a shake at the gym, but is it healthy to make it a regular part of my diet?
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

Me too!  I can eat eggs like twice a year.  And then I remember why I don't really eat eggs.  I also don't drink milk, but that is because 1) it tastes disgusting and 2) I'm lactose intolerant.

Have you ever tried seitan?  I love to make fajitas with it.  One serving has 100 calories and 15 grams of protein.  I buy this kind (found at Whole Foods): <a href="http://www.uptonsnaturals.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.uptonsnaturals.com/</a>

I probably eat more more fake meats than I should, but if you need a quick meal, Tofurky Beer Brats are amazing!  260 calories and 27 grams of protein. 

I don't really count my protein intake, other than letting MFP do it.  I always am over their recommended number.  After working out I usually have either a Luna Protein bar (170-190 calories and 12 g protein) or a Muscle Milk (170 calories and 20 g protein).  I don't really do this because I think I need the extra protein but rather to help eat back the calories I burned at the gym.  The extra protein is just a nice perk. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:29d3ba6e-000e-4cac-86dd-5e44ab72f925">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beans will be your friend.  Do you not make them because you don't like them, or because you don't have recipes that include them? Also ditto Stage on Greek Yogurt, but it sounds like you're including that. My protein typically falls somewhere between 70g-100g.  If I ate it for every pound, I'd have to get 155, and that's pretty much impossible.  I was just reading through the NROL book over the weekend, and the author of that provided a formula for estimating your range of protein needs that seemed reasonable - it ranged from about 80 to 130 for my size, depending on the type of workout that day. <strong> If you want, I can dig that up and send it your way</strong>. And finally, a shake or other protein bar type thing is fine on a daily basis as long as you're using it as a supplement, not a meal replacement.  And check the ingredients - make sure they're real and not just a bunch of refined chemicals.  I don't have brand names in front of me, but I can look them up and send them your way when I get home.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

I would love to see this! Thank you!

What are your fitness goals? Do you specifically pay attention to protein or not so much?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:bd4c98ca-5b8d-4cd5-a698-6b3e22cf3c7c">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  However, I've also been food tracking for about a year now, and have reached a weight at which I know I need to incorporate a lot more strength training than when I first started out in order to reach my goals (which are basically faster and stronger, nothing too specific).  When I first started food tracking, I benefitted a lot more from concentrating on calories and learning about good nutrition.  If I'd tried to tackle the more complicated questions like what percentage of my daily calories should come from carbs, fat, and protein, and whether I should be eating to my TDEE or BMR or MFP estimate...I'd have been way turned off by the whole thing. Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

Me, too. Seems like we are in a similar place. In 2010, I was overweight. I lost 20 pounds just by doing cardio and tracking calories. I very gradually became interested in weight training and the quality of food I was eating and lost 10 more pounds. I could have never tackled this all at once.

Then, in late spring/summer 2012, I was getting ready to move states, and starting blowing off the gym and healthy eating. I just wanted to spend as much time with friends and wanted to enjoy my favorite restaurants before I left. I stopped tracking calories and nutrients and worked out only if nothing else was going on. I gained 10 pounds, my clothes were tight, and I could visibly see the loss of muscle.

I joined a gym in my new city and got back into healthy eating and working out. I now am at a point where I have become (mostly) lean, strong, and energetic, and the only way I am going to make further process is by readjusting the nutrients I'm taking in. My trainer looks at my food tracking and said that protein is a huge problem for me.

I am more pear-shaped than I'd like to be. I am storing a lot of my fat in my hips and thighs. I'm trying to fix that.
  • Options
    oi... haha Lia thanks for thinking of me :o) But honestly, I don't have much to add... You're a vegetarian. You get 20 grams of protein from a serving of greek nonfat yogurt right off the bat.. So I can't relate. 

I'm a vegan and I eat about 100-120g of protein per day. You have waaayy fewer restrictions on it. YOu're not looking hard enough, girrrr ;) 

YOu have some good advice here. I can list my sources of protein if you want, but I think you really don't need a vegan's help on this one, since you have dairy on your side. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:ced68627-2bb2-43ac-87a5-8f50d9edfafb">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]oi... haha Lia thanks for thinking of me :o) But honestly, I don't have much to add... You're a vegetarian. You get 20 grams of protein from a serving of greek nonfat yogurt right off the bat.. So I can't relate.  I'm a vegan and I eat about 100-120g of protein per day. You have waaayy fewer restrictions on it. YOu're not looking hard enough, girrrr ;)  YOu have some good advice here. I can list my sources of protein if you want, but I think you really don't need a vegan's help on this one, since you have dairy on your side. 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Great! Please do send some suggestions. I don't eat a lot of dairy. I hate milk.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_protein-for-vegetarians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3a36ac44-fdb4-42fa-abd9-8f7ae5e7e464Post:77d726dd-a8ba-4cbf-93a1-18b49eeefe91">Re: Protein for vegetarians?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I think we're pretty much weight-loss twins in terms of our successes, struggles, and current goals.  So I feel ya.  I think adding more protein could definitely help you, but will stick with my suggestion to do it slowly.  It might make it easier. I have a recipe for a really awesome salad with beans and edamame and vegetables if you'd like it.  I use it as an afternoon snack and it's pretty great for getting me through the long days.  I think it has 13g of protein per serving the way I make it?  And is only 180 calories.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome! I love edamame and any salads that are more substantial than lettuce with a tomato in it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In one day I often eat: 
    2C quinoa =         16g
    1c Black beans (and lots of other beans)=   15g
    5c mixed greens (kale, spinach, arugula, etc) = 5-10g
    1c lima beans=    19g
    1 scoop vega sport protein powder = 26g
    1/2c almonds (or almond butter, or other mixed nuts.. I keep almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios in the house at all times) = 10g
    1c lentils=18g
    1/2c garbanzo beans (hummmussss mmmm) = 12g

Other things that add up:
    1c peas= 9g
    hemp powder in my shakes= 10g
    Tempeh patty = 30g
    sprouted grain bread (when I have bread which I have been this week)= 8-10g depending on the brand
    1c broccoli = 4g
    sweet potato= 4g
    Pumpkin seeds/pumpkin = 2g

I would put soymilk on here as well, but I don't drink it and Almond milk is only about 2g protein (although, again, it adds up!) 
    Veggies seriously add up. They do. I always pick a main protein source for my meal, and throw in added veggies, and easily come up with 30g per meal. 
    It's. So. Easy.  YOu just need to open up to more beans, greens, and veggies. 

You can dooo ittttt!~!!

• Options
    A good protien source for vegetarians would be Soy, Whey, plant-protien or casein.  I suggest making a shake with the many protein powder such as those that are avaliable because that helps out after a workout. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards