Second Weddings
Options

Memorial for my dad?

I just lost my dad, with my wedding being in 6 weeks.  Since this is a second marriage for both of us, our kids are going to walk us down the isle. 

But I want to honor and remember my dad, without causing my mom too much pain. I love the ideas I have seen, but my mom couldn't handle a empty seat next to her or a picture to put a flower on. 

I do think I will do the charm on my flowers, for me alone to know is there. 

We are getting married on the water, any thoughts of something we could do in his honor. 

Thank you.

Re: Memorial for my dad?

• Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Condolences.  I lost mine about 9 months before my wedding in 2010.  Enough time had passed for my mom not to lose it over the memorial at the reception.

This might be really "out there" but if you're getting married on the water, I'd send him a message in a bottle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you,  It is hard to think and plan knowing my dad won't be there...since it is our second marriage we have planned our honeymoon for Vegas and invited our parents, and knowing he won't be there for that is hard too.

I love the message in a bottle idea.  Thank you so much.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Sad events around weddings just seem so much more tragic.

I purchased small frame/lockets online from Michael's, and am putting my brother's and Fiance's dad's pics in 2 to attach to my bouquet. We are also doing memorial candles, but I totally understand how you might not want to do the candles so close.

If I were you, I'd ask my Mom how any of these "memorials" would affect her. She's going to be sad anyway, I know my Mom would be. It might be that she'd like to have you do something.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both of my parents are deceased, as is DH's brother, so during the ceremony, we just had the following said, near the beginning of the ceremony:
    Those who could not be with us here today, we would like to recognize, that they live on in the hearts of BrideName and GroomName. They are here with us today, if only in our hearts, watching as we celebrate this blessed union. Let us take a few moments to remember and honor NAMES here, and any other loved ones who are not able to join us today...
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     First of all, I'd like to say that I am very sorry for your loss!
    I lost my son last year and the way I found to honor him is with a locket attached to my bouquet, an empty seat with a flower on it, and a special mention in the program along with my parent's - both deceased - and FI's father. I know that from heaven where he is, he will be smiling upon us, like your father will be smiling upon you as well!
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry for your loss so close to your wedding. 

We were fortunate enough to be able  to display family pictures - and thereby honor my dad who passed 11/2001, and my DH's dad who passed 11/2010.  We did not want to do anything that would cause either of our familes pain and thought this was the best way to honor those men. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I think the message in a bottle and the locket are nice tributes. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards