Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage

Both my husband and I were married before and recently had our reception where a few of our guests didn't give us wedding gifts.  My concern was that a gift was given but was lost in the confusion at the end of the evening.  Should I let it go or send a note? I don't know what is proper etiquette.

Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage

• Options
    I would let it go.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-gifts-for-second-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b40fec2-24bb-449a-9ee5-6449d33ebdbdPost:cba7590a-34ea-4229-a058-db3dcb3abe90">Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]Both my husband and I were married before and recently had our reception where a few of our guests didn't give us wedding gifts.  My concern was that a gift was given but was lost in the confusion at the end of the evening.  Should I let it go or send a note? I don't know what is proper etiquette.
    Posted by bac9360[/QUOTE]

Yeah. You just let it go. There is no nice way to say "Oh, hey, just wanted to see if you sent a present because I didn't get one from you".
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    Let it go. Proper etiquette is if they don't receive a thank you note, they follow up to make sure you got their gift. ETA: doesn't matter if this is your first, second, or tenth marriage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-gifts-for-second-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b40fec2-24bb-449a-9ee5-6449d33ebdbdPost:994dcad2-095c-4581-8f67-e0a4077d1142">Re:Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let it go. Proper etiquette is if they don't receive a thank you note, they follow up to make sure you got their gift. ETA: doesn't matter if this is your first, second, or tenth marriage
    Posted by STARMOON44[/QUOTE]

Makes sense.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Gifts are never required, even if it is soemone's first marriage.  You will look rude and gift-grabby if you bring it up.  I would let this one go.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-gifts-for-second-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b40fec2-24bb-449a-9ee5-6449d33ebdbdPost:eb095ef0-a311-4f16-baa7-dd7decaab02f">Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto StarMoon.   You said you had your reception, was there a ceremony attached or did you have a private ceremony and a separate reception?  That makes it even more likely that they probably just didn't give you a gift.  Gifts are of course never required, but I know several people who do not give a gift if only invited to the reception, so apparently it's a "thing" with some people.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

We got married last August with just my immediate family present.  Reception was two weeks ago.  I will let it go, I certainly don't want to appear gift grabby, that's not my thing.
  • Options
    Wait, I want to know how the note would read when thanking someone in case they didn't bring a gift.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-gifts-for-second-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b40fec2-24bb-449a-9ee5-6449d33ebdbdPost:18b741a6-c6a1-4709-9ddc-63d5e73678c9">Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, I want to know how the note would read when thanking someone in case they didn't bring a gift.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

<div>You don't send thank you cards to people who didn't give a gift. The reception is your "thank you" to your guests for attending.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-gifts-for-second-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b40fec2-24bb-449a-9ee5-6449d33ebdbdPost:44ba833f-7677-461e-be91-c012d1bc9df4">Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage : We got married last August with just my immediate family present.  Reception was two weeks ago.  I will let it go, I certainly don't want to appear gift grabby, that's not my thing.
    Posted by bac9360[/QUOTE]
    In that situation I probably would not have given you a gift.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-gifts-for-second-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8b40fec2-24bb-449a-9ee5-6449d33ebdbdPost:de5be5d3-d658-47ce-8605-f028b17be05e">Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Gifts for Second Marriage : Ours were all individualized but basically ran along the lines of "Thank you so much for sharing our wedding day with us.  We loved getting to see you and blah blah, insert individual comment or reference to that weekend.  We hope to get to see you again soon/can't wait for the annual New Year's Eve dinner/definitely hope to make it out to California this summer/etc."
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

You ruined my joke. I was thinking more along the lines of,

Thank you for sharing our wedding day with us. I wanted to make sure we thanked you for your presence because it appears that you have not left us any presents to thank you for. Please advise if we missed it.

Love happycouple
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards