Students
Options

Keeping focused

I'm a junior in college and we got engaged last October. Since then several people I know (facebook friends) have gotten engaged. We haven't done hardly any planning, besides setting the budget and outlining the guest list. However, most of my friends that got engaged after me have already set a date, gotten a venue, and a few of them have gotten their dress. Their weddings are before mine (we're not getting married til we graduate in June 2014) but everytime I see a new fb status about someone else finding their venue and setting their date, I feel tons of pressure to get our wedding planned. I just don't have a ton of tie during the semester to be looking at venues though. Has anyone else had this competition pressure with other brides?

Re: Keeping focused

• Options
    Not really.  We got engaged in December of 2011 and aren't getting married until this May.  It's a 17 month engagement, and there are a lot of couples that got engaged and married during our engagement.  Take your time.  There's not a rush to start planning yet.  Enjoy being engaged.  It gets a little stressful at the end with graduation and wedding stuff and job hunting.  Trust me on that one.  Enjoy the more relaxing part of being engaged.  I never felt like there was any competition, but seeing other people get married made me want our wedding to hurry up and get here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I think the only reason you should try to start planning things is if you know the venues, photographer, etc you want will be booked more than a year out. I'm getting married this June after I graduate and I had to book a couple people more than a year out or I wouldn't have gotten my first choice. However, you might as well wait to do serious planning until this school year is over because it would make your life so much easier. 
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_keeping-focused?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:d154cbbf-849e-40ee-a791-374f43d31b34Post:dbe14bc9-a5a4-4331-9558-bf21da18454a">Keeping focused</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a junior in college and we got engaged last October. Since then several people I know (facebook friends) have gotten engaged. We haven't done hardly any planning, besides setting the budget and outlining the guest list. However, most of my friends that got engaged after me have already set a date, gotten a venue, and a few of them have gotten their dress. Their weddings are before mine (we're not getting married til we graduate in June 2014) but everytime I see a new fb status about someone else finding their venue and setting their date, I feel tons of pressure to get our wedding planned. I just don't have a ton of tie during the semester to be looking at venues though. Has anyone else had this competition pressure with other brides?
    Posted by mm1293[/QUOTE]
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;line-height:115%;">I agree with the PP.  Relax.  This isn't a completion.  Just enjoy being engaged. Life isn't a race. You don't need to start planning anything quite yet, except for maybe a venue and a few other things that the PP mentioned.  I know it can be hard but try not to compare yourself to others, instead focus on how awesome you are/your relationship is.  Comparing yourself to others will only make you sad.  </span>Good luck with planning!</p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    mia78mia78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    As a student in her 30's that works full time and is planning her wedding my advice to those newly engaged is TAKE YOUR TIME. There is no rush when planning your wedding, save money because nevertheless financial issues will arise. Focus on the task at hand which should be your education, don't think of planning a wedding as a competition just because other engaged friends have set the date, got the venue. Perhaps they can afford to move forward quickly due to financial help, volunteer to plan a wedding from family and friends, it might not be your case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards