Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to find a ceremony and reception location

Hello! My fiance and I just got engaged about two weeks ago now. Since we have dated for a while (8 years) we see no point in waiting to get married if at all possible so we are looking to be married within a few months. However, I do not really know how to go about finding the venue. The place I have wanted to get married at since I was little is not an option since the family recently experienced a death and is taking time away. We are on a small budget, but as of now I do not see that as a problem since we are having a close family wedding with a guest list of under 50 people. What I am having trouble with is venues being too big, as in 100-300 guests, or wanting to book too far in advance. Ideally, we would like to be married outside or in chapel. Word of mouth has given me a lot of options but with the aforementioned problems. Did anyone have this type of issue? How do you find pretty churches? We live in Butler County Ohio.

Re: How to find a ceremony and reception location

• Options
    Given the time of year, getting married right away in a traditional wedding venue might be tough. It's wedding high season, and lots of places book a year or more in advance this time of year.

In terms of churches - is there a family church on either side of the family that you would be willing to use? That is, if they aren't already booked on the date that works best for you.

Regarding outdoors, if you're into more of a low-key, non-traditional (read: not a giant princess party) venue, I know that parks can often make a good ceremony location - either city parks with a nice view or state/national parks for something even more rustic. Oftentimes they also have some sort of covered structure you can rent for the reception part. I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind when you said "married outside" or not, but it would certainly work well with the smaller budget aspect you mentioned.
  • Options
    Do you have any bed and breakfasts in your area?  When we were looking for venues, we considered going that route b/c they are often set up for a smaller crowd. You might try posting this on your local board so you can get some more area-specific suggestions. Good luck!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My wedding is a little bigger than yours, but I am getting married at a restaurant. There are a few in the area that have event space. The ceremony will be on their garden patio behind the building. The best thing is that we're getting amazing food but saving a lot of money on site fees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a wedding about the same size as yours.  Have you looked into private dining spaces at local restaurants?  That's what we did and we were very happy with our experience.
  • Options
    The park would be great for a small ceremony & I suggest looking at a nice restaurant that has a private room or a hotel banquet room for the reception.  The B&B is a great option too.  Sometimes with venues if you do an "off day" you can get away with no minimums so its suitable for a small wedding.  We are getting married at a golf course/country club and on Saturday they have a 150 guest minimum, but not on Fridays, which worked perfectly for out 120 guest list.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards