Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Cake Pulls / Ribbon Pulling Tradition

Okay Girls... I need some advice.  I am looking forward to using the cake pull/ ribbon pulling tradition where charms are baked into the cake and then pulled out by selected ladies by the bride.  As the bride I'm having a hard time trying to decide what the criteria should be for the ladies I choose to participate.  I wanted to use it as another way to acknowledge those special ladies in my life that could not be bridesmaids... so how do I choose those ladies and should I make sure to include my bridesmaids in the tradition too?  With everything, the list is starting to get out of control with "The Moms" adding people to the list and in turn making it not as special.  So I would love some advice.... traditionally it was only for single ladies so not sure if I should keep with that theme?  Thank You!!

Re: Cake Pulls / Ribbon Pulling Tradition

• Options
    Realistically you can only fit so many people around the table.  I think I had 12.  I had all of my bridesmaids, a handful of my cousins and some of my girlfriends.  I didn't pick only single ladies, because I wanted my out of town bridesmaids and friends to participate in the tradition too.
  • Options
    jterra2jterra2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I have 8 bridesmaids who are all single so I'm keeping it at just my bridesmaids. How many do you have? Do you have female readers or anything? If so, maybe you could just keep it at bridesmaids and readers?
  • Options
    sfinninsfinnin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I felt similarly to you and wanted to use the cake pull as something special for both my bridesmaids and other girls that I'm close with. So I had my 5 bridesmaids, my flower girl, 3 close girlfriends and my husbands brother's girlfriend. It's one of the parts of the wedding that most of the guests aren't paying as much attention to, so I don't think you should be worried about hurting anyone's feelings. The more you have, the harder it will be to wrangle everyone and to fit everyone around the table, so maybe use that as rationalization with the Moms that are trying to add random people :)
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your honest advice.  I have three bridesmaids so I've been able to do some special things for them already.  I was thinking about giving them each a cake charm but not having them participate in the actually ribbon pulling but I don't know if that is wierd. Right now I have a list of 7 additional ladies and I think I'd like to keep it to 5, especially if I include my bridesmaids in the actual pulling.  Before this wedding planning started I had no idea how stressful this would be!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards