Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: In-Laws and Money

Everyone on this board really helped me during my engagement with insight about handling tricky situations with grace. Now I need help with my in-laws. 

First question: H and I live in an urban center with a high cost of living. We're both people with fine arts degrees using our degrees in our careers - YAY! Unfortunately we're not high earners and have a bit of student debt between us - not so yay. But we're really happy with our lives and feel good about where we are and what we're doing. However we've accepted long ago that we probably won't be buying a house within the next 10 years due to the high cost. We're fine with this, but H's parents keep bringing it up, sending emails from realtors, etc. H always had the kind of relationship where they would get random hair-brained ideas about things he should be doing, and he would just ignore them or explain over and over why that idea didn't apply to his situation. He's really the kind of guy who lets things roll off his back though and has never been shy about just stating the facts about his situation. Now that we're married though, it's different. He understands that it upsets me that they keep sending these emails, implying that our life isn't good enough and they keep trying to talk about our finances with us. I'm much more private about my finances and H understands this and thinks it's the better way to be - he just doesn't know how to come right out and tell his parents that a topic they have always discussed is now off limits without making me look like the bad guy. I'm not twisting his arm - he feels like he would enjoy their company more if they talked about other topics, it just never really came together in his mind until I came along. 

His concern is that they just don't seem to accept subtle bean dipping, and he feels like at some point he needs to explain to them point blank that we are married and they can't stick their noses in our business, but he knows his mother will get all emotional and his father might suddenly pin this on me. He also thought that perhaps since I'm apparently adorable and sweet and they really want me to like them, if I just nicely explained that I view these things as private they might take it better ... I feel this way too, but I know the usual advice here is to always have the child deal with their own parents and that's probably for really good reason. We would have dealt with this before marriage, but for some reason they seemed to back off when he and I moved in together and only started in after the wedding. Sigh. At least we're on the same page. Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: In-Laws and Money

• Options
    My advice is to not let him throw you under the bus. This is a conversation he should have with his parents. If he doesn't want to, then you need to accept their comments or what ever.
  • Options
    Oh he definitely doesn't want me under the bus. He said he'll definitely talk to them if I don't want to. I guess I'm just personally unsure, like even if he doesn't say "Fancy and her family don't talk about finances and I prefer that. That's how things are now, no more emails and no more prying" and instead opts for a softer "This is between my wife and I" or something, they'll still know it's my influence in his life/the fact that he's married that changed things just because if the timing. Ahhh well, I'll just learn to ignore things the way he does. He never actually shares our information with them ever since we opened our joint bank account (he's like the king of bean dipping), so I guess it's more of an annoyance than an actual problem. 

I also feel bad because he had a big confrontation with them last year about something they were doing that really concerned him about our safety. He was more than happy to stick up for us, but I know it was draining, which makes me want to jump in on his behalf in this situation. But it's a dumb idea so I won't. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He should delete the emails they send him, and talk to them about it - and not involve you at all in any way.  He needs some big boy pants to take care of it without you even knowing the ways he making your marriage smooth.
  • Options
    krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I'd just delete the emails with no reply. If they ask "did you see the email we sent you about such and such realtor?" he can reply "oh, I just deleted it, we don't need that information right now and I like to keep my inbox organized." I think him blowing it off as something that doesn't even factor in to his every day life may make a bigger point than if he sits them down and lets them know how much this upsets you.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is there a chance that they're planning to help you buy your first house? Because my answer on how to react would depend on this.
  • Options
    How hard would it be for him to reply to one of those emails and say

Mom and Dad, thanks for thinking of me and Fancy, but we aren't ready to look for a home, and we find your pressuring us to do so insulting and annoying. When we are ready, we'll let you know. Until then, Fancy and I would prefer you didn't bring it up.

This. He just needs to tell them to leave you alone about it. If they assume this is your influence, oh, well. There's nothing you can do about that, and trying to find ways to make it not appear to be your influence will only call attention to it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Liatris, Scribe, Krizzo and Addie, thanks - your advice really helps. We read through it together and he's planning on either using that email next time they send an email or bringing it up in person if they bring it up in person on Saturday when he has lunch with them. NOLA, I probably should have included that no, they definitely will not be helping with a down payment - they talk about their situation enough for that to be really clear. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto Lia.   

How would they know they it's upsetting you if they are not told? 

Some people really think owning a home is important.  Your in-laws might be one of those people.   A simple "thank you for thinking of us, but we are not ready to buy quite yet.  When we are ready we let you know" a while ago might have stopped you from getting upset.

Also I do not even think this has to be about your finances.  We can afford as house, we just choose not to at this time.  One reason is we owned a home in St Thomas and didn't want to buy another place quite yet.   We just sold that place, but I'm not sure DH will stay at this job.  Another move is very possible for us, so we are holding off for a little while.

Sure your reason for not buying right now might be finance related, but you do not have to make it that way when talking to the in-laws.  Not wanting to buy right now just because you don't want to is a perfectly good reason.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Oh he definitely doesn't want me under the bus. He said he'll definitely talk to them if I don't want to. I guess I'm just personally unsure, like even if he doesn't say "Fancy and her family don't talk about finances and I prefer that. That's how things are now, no more emails and no more prying" and instead opts for a softer "This is between my wife and I" or something, they'll still know it's my influence in his life/the fact that he's married that changed things just because if the timing. Ahhh well, I'll just learn to ignore things the way he does. He never actually shares our information with them ever since we opened our joint bank account (he's like the king of bean dipping), so I guess it's more of an annoyance than an actual problem. 

I also feel bad because he had a big confrontation with them last year about something they were doing that really concerned him about our safety. He was more than happy to stick up for us, but I know it was draining, which makes me want to jump in on his behalf in this situation. But it's a dumb idea so I won't. 
    ...My thought on this is, yes, he is married, yes, you are his wife, and yes, that means you have an influence that is now bigger than their's is.

If they don't understand that or aren't willing to accept it, you may have inlaw issues reaching way farther than house-hunting emails.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards