Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Wedding Thank You Cards

Am I supposed to send thank you cards to people who attended the wedding, but did not bring a gift? If so, any suggestions on wording?

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Thank You Cards

• Options
    No!  The reception was the thank you for attending the wedding.  A thank you note is to thank someone for a gift.  Sending someone a thank you card who didn't give a gift appears as if you are pointing out that they didn't give you a gift.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_wedding-thank-you-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:d53e5232-b759-4202-9f63-791890aa3270Post:fa7774aa-13ac-47f2-9abb-a8932d74e276">Re: Wedding Thank You Cards</a>:
    [QUOTE]No!  The reception was the thank you for attending the wedding.  A thank you note is to thank someone for a gift.  Sending someone a thank you card who didn't give a gift appears as if you are pointing out that they didn't give you a gift.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

Ditto to this. And if you send a thank you note for attending and their gift is in the mail, you are going to feel really silly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank yous are only for gifts.  If you send a thank you for attendance, it may come off as passive aggressive fishing for gifts.  Definitely a statement you don't want to make.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    You don't have to but we did. We sent out photo thank you cards to all our guests (whether they gave a gift or not). While we did thank guests for their gifts, the ones that did not give one we just said something along the lines of "Thank you for being a part of our special day. Your presence was greatly appreciated." No one to my knowledge felt we were looking for a gift (the guests that didn't give anything), they were just happy to get a picture.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you have to, I opted to because people still made time in their lives to share the day with us. Plus the two people we didn't get gifts from were groomsmen and I thought I should thank them again for being a special part of our wedding being groomsmen and all. 
  • Options
    I am getting married in September, but have recently starting to receive gifts through the mail. Am I supposed to wait until after the wedding to send out thank you letters? Or send them out as they come? 
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Send them out as they come, so that people know that you received their gifts.
  • Options
    This is actually a great question.  I have a guest who attended my wedding, but didn't bring a gift.  I am going to do my thank you notes this weekend, and since this guest traveled a couple hours to come to my wedding, I was thinking of saying something along the lines of "Thank you for making the trip!  I'm so happy you could be there for our special day!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards