May 2014 Weddings
Options

Groom and groomsmen suits

Hi all! I'm new to this board, and I was wondering if other people have already figured this part out.

We aren't doing tuxes, and if it's appropriate, we'd like to just tell the groomsmen to wear a black suit, so they don't have to buy or rent anything, and then we will gift them the shirts and ties. My question is this: will it look sloppy if they are all wearing black suits that are not the same? Has anyone seen this done? Thanks for the help!

Re: Groom and groomsmen suits

• Options
    I am against black suits.  Especially in the heat of my May Las Vegas wedding.  I told my groomsmen to do light gray.  Luckily, they all had one of those in their closets.  I also bought them shirts(non-matching) and ties like you did.

The main thing about looking sloppy is not that the suits won't match each other, its more of how the suits fit.  For example, you don't want some of the groomsmen wearing hipster skinny suits, while others are wearing 90's style baggy fit.

You may have to enlist the help of an alteration shop (perhaps another gift) to make sure the fit, length, sleeve, armholes, etc. are appropriate for your groomsmen and then you will be good to go.
  • Options
    I have seen online some pics where groomsmen have on gray but their grays don't all match each other and I kinda like it. However, if your groom is fashionably challenged-like mine- make sure he understands that they still have to match within the person, ie pants and jacket or vest. He completely misunderstood! Lol. I am doing gray suit pants and vest but it is proving to be harder than I imagined to find. I want light gray and since my fiancé and I are "not young" we are having trouble finding suit styles that aren't cut for A&F models! My groomsmen are full size men and therefore need classic cut suits. Who would've thought my groomsmen attire would be harder than my bridesmaids?!
  • Options
    @tho127 That is really tough! I would suggest Men's Wearhouse, but only because I know they sell some suit pants and jackets separately. I think we are going to go with black to make it easier. There are only two groomsmen anyway, and the rest are women, who will be wearing the same dress as my bridesmaids.

I love the idea of grey suits, it just wasn't economical. It's a destination wedding, so renting was out of the question, and FI wasn't about to buy a cheap suit for his own wedding to appease his groomsmen, so now it's wear what you have in your closet, but FI will buy himself a new made to measure suit.
  • Options
    I agree about the fit!!  I used to work for a tuxedo company...I can't tell stress enough how important it is to find a suit that fits a man properly!!   Tailors work wonders! ;)

If you like the slightly mis-matchy look, or are prepared to embrace it, I'd say feel free to let the guys find their own black suits.  Again, just make sure they are fitted for each guy correctly.  The groomsmen can all magically have the same black colored suit, but if it the fit is off on one of them, people will notice.

If you are concerned about matching, you may be able to find deals on suits in groups and also on suits that are off-season.  For example, a friend of mine got married a few years ago, and they wanted tan suits for their wedding.  They found theirs at a department store (JC Penny, I think) for super cheap because they were "last year's collection."

Good luck! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards