Flowers

Hydrangeas lasting out of water?

Does anyone know how long hydrangeas last out of water? I read somewhere that they only last about 2-3 hours?! I am wanting to make my own BM bouquets and use them from Sams Club, but I don't want them to wilt during the ceremony and pictures. If we make them and only use one big stem and then stuff it in styrofoam and wrap it in ribbon, I am not sure how to keep them hydrated then. Any suggestions?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hydrangeas lasting out of water?

• meastburnmeastburn member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    It all depends on the temperature. You will want to keep the hydrangea in water for as long as you possibly can. You want to keep most flowers as cool as possible without freezing them to make sure they don't all blow open, or wilt.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question, but hopefully this along with other posts can help!
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really wanted hydrangeas too, but the florist talked me out of it because she said, like you posted, they won't last long at all, especially if it's hot/humid that day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lmy922lmy922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_hydrangeas-lasting-out-of-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:40c9a639-690c-44c6-8cea-80f744e05ab7Post:af08ad22-461e-4d49-ae8c-07fbd563168b">Re: Hydrangeas lasting out of water?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really wanted hydrangeas too, but the florist talked me out of it because she said, like you posted, they won't last long at all, especially if it's hot/humid that day.
    Posted by kimp67[/QUOTE]

Exactly this! I love hydrangeas but was told by my florist to not use them in bouquets because they would wilt too easily.  She recommended using them to float in water on tables if you really want them or for ceremony. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes they do fine, other times they wilt very quickly, even when it's cool and they are kept in water.  This is something you could ask your florist's advice on. 

There is a flower called "stock" that has lots of small blooms, similar to a hydrangea, only they are long and sort of cone shaped.  If  you cut the pointed tops off, the bottom part looks similar to a mini hydrangea. I've seen them in white, blush, pink, lavender, and purple. They hold up pretty well, and are quite a bit cheaper than hydrangea.

• edited December 2011
    thats what the water tubes are for.....
    Anniversary
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you can alleviate the problem by leaving them in small vases and taking them to the church for pictures. as soon as you are done put them back in the water until right before you walk down the aisle.,Have vases at the reception. they will be fine.have done it 100's of times
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_hydrangeas-lasting-out-of-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:40c9a639-690c-44c6-8cea-80f744e05ab7Post:8d790d4b-bc71-49c9-b830-d6d74f4eb9d3">Re: Hydrangeas lasting out of water?</a>:
    [QUOTE]you can alleviate the problem by leaving them in small vases and taking them to the church for pictures. as soon as you are done put them back in the water until right before you walk down the aisle.,Have vases at the reception. they will be fine.have done it 100's of times
    Posted by flower_diva[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this.  I worked at a florist for over 8 years and used hydrangeas all the time for weddings.  For bouquets, a big thing was to let the flower stems show at the bottom.  To do this we just gathered the flowers and tapped/ribbon wrapped them together.  Once done we placed them in vases with enough water  to reach the bottom stems.  This always worked and we never had a wilted hydrangea.  You can use the vases and bouquets as decoration for your cake table or head table to save a little money as well!

• edited December 2011
    I'm going to use Hydrangeas too.  She suggested placing them in a vase with a wet paper towel on the bottom before pictures and then place them in water at the reception.  She suggested this so that my dress wouldn't get damp after taking them out of the vase for pictures.
    BFP 3/17/12 EDD 11/23/12 m/c 3/30/12 6 wks BFP 12/5/12 EDD 8/10/13
  • okay, so a big percentage says okay for  hydrangeas for BM?  Or should i just sick with coral roses since not much flowers in season for November. I just can't make a decision on bouquets for the girls. :/
  • melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    okay, so a big percentage says okay for  hydrangeas for BM?  Or should i just sick with coral roses since not much flowers in season for November. I just can't make a decision on bouquets for the girls. :/
    It's up to you and if it's worth the headache. IMO it's not. I'd just go for the coral roses.

ETA: BTW this thread is really old, you would get a better response if you make your own thread on the topic.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My florist told me that certain colors of them hold up better then other. We had green in our bouquets and they held up beautifully. Granted it was 41 degrees on my wedding day and we did put them in vases of water even in the limo. Now my husband who drives limo on the weekends, had seen other colors like pink & blue for summer weddings he drove, and said those seemed to wilt quickly (confirmed by our florist).

Best advise is to take into consideration the time of year you are getting married and what types of flowers tend to hold up to that weather the best. Good luck!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards