Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Emily Post would say asking for cash is ok!?!

I thought you ladies would like this article. Asking for cash is so not ok! I don't care what Emily Post says! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/06/you-can-ask-for-cash-in-l_n_4551378.html?utm_hp_ref=weddings&ir=Weddings

Re: Emily Post would say asking for cash is ok!?!

• Options
    melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014

"Alternatives to traditional registries such as a honeymoon fund, a bank account in the couple’s name or a charity suggestion in lieu of gifts are fine. So many couples already have at least one set (if not two) of everything they need to set up house, and more towels, sheets, pots and pans would be pointless. Emily Post was a very practical woman so I think she’d understand the desire to receive gifts that are truly meaningful or helpful. But know that the choice of gift is always up to the giver, so don’t be surprised or offended if your Aunt Edna isn’t keen on buying you kayak lessons in Mexico for your honeymoon and opts for a vase instead.

wha!! Honeymoon registries... oh my!

ETA: Spread the word about any registry or gift information, including 'no gifts, please,' by word of mouth, as well as on your wedding website if you'd like. Don’t put any reference to gifts at all (even 'no gifts, please') on the wedding invitation or its enclosures. Yes, receiving an invitation means a gift is expected, but the focus when a guest opens that heavy, calligraphied envelope should stay on their being invited for their own sake, not for their gift.

1. really?????

2. Uh, since when does invite = gift???

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry, did I just hallucinate that article because... whaaaaaaa?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    What I don't understand is that people always say "cash in lieu of gifts." Last time I checked, cash was still a gift.

Hahaha! True-also, it is always the right size and style!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

*facepalm*

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I could have died when I read that article. I'm so glad someone called it out!
  • Options
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Anna Post is a sell-out.  Miss Manners all the way.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options

"Alternatives to traditional registries such as a honeymoon fund, a bank account in the couple’s name or a charity suggestion in lieu of gifts are fine. So many couples already have at least one set (if not two) of everything they need to set up house, and more towels, sheets, pots and pans would be pointless. Emily Post was a very practical woman so I think she’d understand the desire to receive gifts that are truly meaningful or helpful. But know that the choice of gift is always up to the giver, so don’t be surprised or offended if your Aunt Edna isn’t keen on buying you kayak lessons in Mexico for your honeymoon and opts for a vase instead.

wha!! Honeymoon registries... oh my!

ETA: Spread the word about any registry or gift information, including 'no gifts, please,' by word of mouth, as well as on your wedding website if you'd like. Don’t put any reference to gifts at all (even 'no gifts, please') on the wedding invitation or its enclosures. Yes, receiving an invitation means a gift is expected, but the focus when a guest opens that heavy, calligraphied envelope should stay on their being invited for their own sake, not for their gift.

1. really?????

2. Uh, since when does invite = gift???

For the first bolded, I think that's fine. You can put registry info on your wedding website, but I probably wouldn't say "no gifts". 

But the 2nd bolded. WTF!! If receiving and invitation (receiving, not actually attending a wedding) means that a gift is expected. Then why not add a bill with the invitation. 

• Options
    I think that Emily Post would disown her descendants who are giving such bad advice that she would never give herself.  Times haven't changed that much.
  • Options
    There's bad etiquette advice in the ask carly section of this very website. Under the invitations section, it tells a bride who is concerned that her guests will show up late to put a fake start time (30 min earlier!) on her invitations. Great, so adults who know how to go places on time are punished by fiddling their thumbs for 30 min because some of your other guests are rude and untimely?
  • Options
    There's bad etiquette advice in the ask carly section of this very website. Under the invitations section, it tells a bride who is concerned that her guests will show up late to put a fake start time (30 min earlier!) on her invitations. Great, so adults who know how to go places on time are punished by fiddling their thumbs for 30 min because some of your other guests are rude and untimely?
    Yes, but we expect bad advice from TK.  ;)

• Options
    mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    Perhaps times are just changing....... It's inevitable that courtesies will too. I'm not in favor of people soliciting cash from others, but I'm not going to get all up in arms about it either. We all know we are going to give a couple a wedding gift if we receive an invitation to their wedding, why not give them what they want? 

ETA: I give cash anyway, so this really has no effect on me either way. But I'd still prefer the recipient to enjoy their gift. 
  • Options
    I always give cash even couples have gift registers. Also I'm Asian, and it is THE wedding gift you get in Asian culture. Luckily, we don't need to explain to anyone, and usually it is polite to bring the amount at least to cover your food. 

• Options

@sissixin My family is the same. Heck, we don't even give birthday gifts once you hit your teen years - just red envelopes. My mom didn't know what to make of it when guests showed up with physical gifts when one of my sisters got married! Since I'm marrying a Westerner, I told her to be prepared to put gifts into her car before we leave the reception venue since our circle of friends doesn't do cash gifts.

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Perhaps times are just changing....... It's inevitable that courtesies will too. I'm not in favor of people soliciting cash from others, but I'm not going to get all up in arms about it either. We all know we are going to give a couple a wedding gift if we receive an invitation to their wedding, why not give them what they want? 

ETA: I give cash anyway, so this really has no effect on me either way. But I'd still prefer the recipient to enjoy their gift. 

IMO etiquette itself hasn't changed. How etiquette is actually executed may have, but treating people and your guests kindly and with respect hasn't changed. At all.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    sissixin said: I always give cash even couples have gift registers. Also I'm Asian, and it is THE wedding gift you get in Asian culture. Luckily, we don't need to explain to anyone, and usually it is polite to bring the amount at least to cover your food. 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope

I always give cash, too.  I'm still offended when a couple
    asks for cash.

ETA quote box problems
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I think a majority of newlyweds would LOVE the gift of cash. Many might even prefer it. But to plan a wedding and one of your concerns be about how to communicate to your guests that's all you want?? Really???? I don't know who I feel sorrier for - the bride and groom who issue these requests, or the guests who receive them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    sissixin said:
    I always give cash even couples have gift registers. Also I'm Asian, and it is THE wedding gift you get in Asian culture. Luckily, we don't need to explain to anyone, and usually it is polite to bring the amount at least to cover your food. 

I always give cash, too.  I'm still offended when a couple asks for cash.

ETA quote box problems
    Even if this is considered "polite" in Asia, it's not in the West.

I hate the "cover your plate" idea.  How in the world are the guests supposed to know in advance what their "plates" cost-and what are guests supposed to do if they can't afford that?  Are they supposed to call the hosts and ask how much their "plates" cost?  In the West, it's none of the guests' business how much the wedding is cost or how it is financed, because the expenses of hosting are properly borne entirely by the hosts without expectation of "reimbursement" or "covering plates."  So this would be both an incredibly rude expectation as well as question for guests to ask.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    Even if this is considered "polite" in Asia, it's not in the West.

I hate the "cover your plate" idea.  How in the world are the guests supposed to know in advance what their "plates" cost-and what are guests supposed to do if they can't afford that?  Are they supposed to call the hosts and ask how much their "plates" cost?  In the West, it's none of the guests' business how much the wedding is cost or how it is financed, because the expenses of hosting are properly borne entirely by the hosts without expectation of "reimbursement" or "covering plates."  So this would be both an incredibly rude expectation as well as question for guests to ask.

^^This. If you don't want to spend/ lose money, don't have a wedding with guests. Go to the courthouse or elope. A reception is a thank you to your guests for sharing  attending the wedding ceremony -- Not a way to get everyone to pay you back for their meal.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards