Snarky Brides
Options

Precious: discuss

Who has seen it? 

I saw it yesterday.  I felt like I was soul raped, but I thought it was REALLY good. 

Re: Precious: discuss

• Options
    I have neither seen nor read it, but read a lot about it this weekend.  Is it uplifting at the end, is all I want to know.  Otherwise it just sounds like a kick to the gut.
  • Options
    actually, no.  It's not really uplifting at the end.  There is some moderate uplifting, but not much. 
  • Options
    I'm somewhat intrigued by it because it sounds like a very well done movie, and I've heard the performances are amazing.  BUT, the story sounds very heavy.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • Options
    I haven't seen this yet, but I will say that the trailers shown on tv are HUGELY misleading.  Someone happened to mention to me the "twist" aka plotpoint and I was very surprised, even having seen the trailer.

I did a quick search online to see what other synopses were saying, and found this highly misleading one on yahoo "Clareece "Precious" Jones is an overweight, illiterate African-American teen in Harlem. Just as she's about to give birth to her second child, Jones is accepted into an alternative school where a teacher helps her find a new path in her life. "

other synopses are more informational, but I would think that such a heavy painful topic as incest would give viewers a fair warning.
  • Options
    Maybe the mention of incest is a little much for a widespread movie trailer?  Like, if you're watching TV on a wed at 7pm w/ your kids?  I don't know.  But, I'm not the kind of person who need a warning, so I didn't even think about that.
  • Options
    yeah, I get that.  The paragraph I pulled up was on Yahoo movie review online.  I don't need a warning either, but for such an emotional topic, I would feel badly for anyone getting a "surprise" in the movie theater.

I haven't decided if I'm going to see this one or not.  Maybe this will be a Netflix viewing.
  • Options
    I haven't seen it, but heard some interviews on NPR with the author. They made no bones about the fact that her dad was the father -- I think it's known right away in the book. Do they leave it as a surprise in the movie?
    The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
  • Options
    I'm not sure anyone would see the trailer of the mom beating the shiit out of her and then be really upset to have the issue of incest to deal with once they got to the theater.
  • Options
    Yeah, I knew the deal before I saw the movie.  It wasn't a surprise to me.  And it isn't made to be a "surprise" in the movie.  It's right at the beginning.
  • Options
    no, PG, that's not what I'm saying.  WHat I'm saying is that it is DEFINATELY not clear in the tv previews (probably for reasons Mulva has brought up) and it's not made clear in several of the "big, national" synopses available online.  That's all.  I'm sure it's very clear in the book/movie.
  • Options
    I worried that there would be people in the theater who could not handle the movie's themes and start giggling. This has happened in other violent movies, etc.
    It probably has something to do with being in public and the shared experience of seeing something graphic over and over and being uncomfortable with it. The last movie I remember this happening at was Apocalypto, but I know there's been more since then.

This didn't happen, though. It as Twilight opening weekend so there wasn't anyone on the younger side in there.
  • Options
    I really, really want to see this movie. I'm a big fan of reading literature first when movies are based off novels, but I think I'll make an exception with this one. I was supposed to see it this past weekend, but I was already stressed and emotional and I knew the movie wouldn't help, so I put it off :| I watched Oprah interview 'Precious' and in the interview she kind of explains a bit more than a trailer would. Before, I had thought she had just gotten pregnant with her boyfriend in the movie, until Oprah revealed Precious' children were born of incest. I'm pretty sure everyone going into that movie is prepared [initally] for adult themes, but as far as that goes...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards