Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Ideas for wedding invite wording involving TWO ceremonies in the same day.....

Hi all,

I really hope to get some good feedback as this is the most recent dilemma my fiance and I are running into with our wedding and my internet searching has not produced many results....

My fiance and I were engaged in December 2013 - I am Catholic and he is a non-religious person (more spiritual) and doesn't belong to any church denomination. We compromised that we would have a Catholic ceremony (not a full mas) at 3:00 p.m. followed by an additional non-denominational ceremony at our reception venue three hours later, immediately followed by cocktail hour and then normal reception festivities. We realize this isn't a traditional way of doing things but we couldn't be happier with the compromise - this way we BOTH get the wedding day we always dreamed of. Luckily, both of our families are supportive of this idea as well.

So far, we have booked the church and our reception hall but have not worked out a lot of details about the second ceremony (who will officiate, decorations, etc), however the hall is prepared for us to have a ceremony on site. I picture the second ceremony being somewhat unique and different, incorporating maybe personal vows or just him and I walking down the aisle together, things that will make the second ceremony stand out and not seem repetitive to the first one.

While I know that not everyone will come to one or both ceremonies (which I understand and am fine with), I would like to figure out a nice way to word this on the invitation that will encourage people to do so. I would love for everyone to come to both! After all, the second ceremony will be at our reception site, so it's not like guests will have to get back in their cars and travel to somewhere else after the second ceremony. We are also working with our coordinator at the reception hall to ensure the each every element from the second ceremony to the reception flows smoothly.

So I am requesting ideas on how to word this on the invitation. I don't want to say something generic like "second non-denominational ceremony at 6:00 p.m., cocktail hour 6:30 p.m..." but something interesting that will make people WANT to come and not just skip everything until cocktail hour!

Thank you in advance! Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

~the bride to be

Re: Ideas for wedding invite wording involving TWO ceremonies in the same day.....

• Options
    I'm confused that you feel the need to have two Christian ceremonies to compromise on religion here. Also having two ceremonies seems to state that the Catholic ceremony or the non-denominational ceremony by itself is not good enough. Have either of you cleared this or talked about this with your priest/pastor? 

I honestly don't know that you can word an invitation like this without confusing everyone. 
  • Options
    I think you would be hard pressed to find friends that would come to both unfortunately- many people will not understand the purpose of two ceremonies. I don't want to bust your bubble but it's rude to request that your guests come to a ceremony, wait three hours, and come to another ceremony followed by that reception...any gap will be rude.

I would recommend perhaps the Catholic ceremony be more intimate for only yourselves and of course family if they would like to attend and then treat the other ceremony directly prior to the reception as the ceremony that you would include on your invitations.

As a side note- I am under the impression having researched Catholic wedding guidelines that the only ceremony the Catholic party should participate in is the Catholic ceremony and should not take part in anything different due to the fact that marriage is a Sacrament. Have you discussed your plans with your priest at all? I am not Catholic, my FI is so I have done some research but admittedly I am not knowledgeable regarding Canon law and Marriage.
  • Options
    This sounds like a reverse convalidation. OP, I think you're going to confuse your guests and people will not understand why there are two. I don't think this is a compromise. I agree to talk with your priest.
  • Options

Hi all,

I really hope to get some good feedback as this is the most recent dilemma my fiance and I are running into with our wedding and my internet searching has not produced many results....

My fiance and I were engaged in December 2013 - I am Catholic and he is a non-religious person (more spiritual) and doesn't belong to any church denomination. We compromised that we would have a Catholic ceremony (not a full mas) at 3:00 p.m. followed by an additional non-denominational ceremony at our reception venue three hours later, immediately followed by cocktail hour and then normal reception festivities. We realize this isn't a traditional way of doing things but we couldn't be happier with the compromise - this way we BOTH get the wedding day we always dreamed of. Luckily, both of our families are supportive of this idea as well.

So far, we have booked the church and our reception hall but have not worked out a lot of details about the second ceremony (who will officiate, decorations, etc), however the hall is prepared for us to have a ceremony on site. I picture the second ceremony being somewhat unique and different, incorporating maybe personal vows or just him and I walking down the aisle together, things that will make the second ceremony stand out and not seem repetitive to the first one.

While I know that not everyone will come to one or both ceremonies (which I understand and am fine with), I would like to figure out a nice way to word this on the invitation that will encourage people to do so. I would love for everyone to come to both! After all, the second ceremony will be at our reception site, so it's not like guests will have to get back in their cars and travel to somewhere else after the second ceremony. We are also working with our coordinator at the reception hall to ensure the each every element from the second ceremony to the reception flows smoothly.

So I am requesting ideas on how to word this on the invitation. I don't want to say something generic like "second non-denominational ceremony at 6:00 p.m., cocktail hour 6:30 p.m..." but something interesting that will make people WANT to come and not just skip everything until cocktail hour!

Thank you in advance! Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

~the bride to be

JIC
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would just do one invitation that goes to all the guests that only includes the reception location information & that the ceremony will be at x:xxPM at the reception location and keep church ceremony limited to parents, siblings, grandparents & bridal party & just let them know word of mouth what the time & location is.  

• Options

Erikan73 said:

I would just do one invitation that goes to all the guests that only includes the reception location information & that the ceremony will be at x:xxPM at the reception location and keep church ceremony limited to parents, siblings, grandparents & bridal party & just let them know word of mouth what the time & location is.  

Not sure about this.  Those not invited to the Catholic ceremony might find about it and consider it lying, so it could come off like a PPD.

OP, I think if you do something like this, you need to be very, very clear about what guests are invited to and why, because right now many people, including me, are confused about what you're doing and why you need it.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I do not understand the need for a second ceremony.  Your Catholic ceremony is the only ceremony that is legal.  The second vow exchange is only symbolic.  Is your priest OK with this?  It seems disrespectful of the sacrament of marriage to me.

Mr. and Mrs. John Bridesparents
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the wedding reception of their daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    and
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

(enclosures for close family)
    The honour of your presence
    is requested at the ceremony
    time
    Church Name in Full
    Address
    City, State

At the reception, wait until people are seated, then make an announcement:
    "The bride and groom will repeat their wedding vows."  Be as brief as possible.
    Nobody wants to sit through two ceremonies, especially when the second one is fake.  I do hope you have cleared this with your priest!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Erikan73 said:

This seems way too close to a PPD. I'd be annoyed if I found out the couple was married in a big ceremony earlier in the day, and then I watched a repeat non-denominational ceremony. 
  • Options

ok, I guess I need to clarify some things. I AM Catholic, my fiance isnt. We know we will raise our children Catholic because I was. We are going to take the pre-cana class and go the meetings necessary to fulfill the rules and requirements so we will have a valid marriage in the eyes of the Catholic Church. I will be fulfilling the Sacrament. I will NOT be breaking any rules of canon law - getting married civilly BEFORE our church ceremony would be a sin in the eyes of the church, but that's not what were doing here.

I am not trying to trivialize the Catholic faith by having a second ceremony - in my eyes, we will be officially married after the church ceremony (obviously) but my fiance always pictured having an outdoor/beach wedding, probably officiated by a Justice of the Peace or something along those lines. We are getting married in March so being outdoors is basically out of the question so that's how we came up with this idea of the second ceremony at the reception site. I referred to it as "Non-denominational" ceremony before but maybe thats not the correct term for it. I will view the second ceremony as more of a symbolic ritual. Thats why I said we would incorporate different things like personal vows, since we won't give personal vows at the church, so it will seem different to the guests who decide to come, but also for HIM AND I.

I have to be honest, I am surprised by the criticism I have received here. I was excited to see i had so many responses in a short period of time, but was very taken aback that NONE of them are positive. I was not expecting to be called RUDE for making my guests "wait 3 hours for the reception". I have been to several weddings where there was time in between the ceremony and reception. I would NEVER call a bride or groom RUDE for organizing the wedding they always dreamed of that works for the BOTH OF THEM. If any of my guests are "confused" by my invitation, or don't know what they will do between the church and venue hall, then they clearly have the option of not coming to that portion, which I understand is what some people will do.

Furthermore, it's not going to be 3 hours that my guests have to wait. It will be maybe 2, as I expect the church ceremony will still be around an hour long. Afterwards, there will be pictures at the church, then our bridal party will be traveling and taking pictures.

Also, I would never consider NOT telling all my guests ahead of time (on the invitation) about the accurate agenda of the day. Some of you may not like the idea we have put together for our wedding day, but suggesting we be dishonest with any of our guests and surprising them later "and just do it really briefly" is just plain awful.

So again, my request was for ideas on how to word this on the invitation, so unless you have an idea with regards to that, posting of negative opinions about what we are doing is just unnecessary. I know I am not the first human being to ever organize a wedding this way.

So thanks to anyone in advance who has anything NICE to say.

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014

It doesnt matter whether the gap is 2 hours or 3 hours. ANY gap is rude. Just because you have been to weddings with gaps doesnt make it any less rude.

Also, it is pointless to have 2 ceremonies. You can only be legally married once. This is where you adn your fi need to talk and come up with a compromise. Figure out ONE ceremony that makes both of you happy.

I would ask the same question other have asked, what does your preist think?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll bet she hasn't told her priest what she is planning.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I don't think anyone was not nice to you simply for disagreeing with you. We are merely asking you to think about your guests' comfort not just your dream day. What you are planning is rude whether you would admit it or not.

2 hours is no better than 3...you are still asking your guests to be dressed up, sit through a ceremony, twiddle their thumbs for 2 hours, attend another ceremony, and then the reception. It does stink that it may interfere with your dream day, but there are other Catholic brides on here who have made it work

I have to admit I'm slightly confused  that you don't consider your Catholic vows your "personal" vows. Those are the vows affirming your commitment to your husband and committing the marriage to God. I do understand you are referring to vows that you may have written yourself or otherwise tailored to your and your FI's relationship , I just don't honestly see how you can get more personal than the vows you say before God. Just my cents there...
  • Options

i guess I opened myself up to people disagreeing with me posting on a public forum. People I personally know, family friends and others who are involved in our wedding day have have responded positively. this is just what truly works for us both, so I don't see us changing our plan. I don't want our guests to be inconvenienced or put out, most if not all our guest are local. I feel if this really does offend or bother anyone, they can opt out of whatever portion they feel they don't want to be part of. I won't be upset about that. And I know our closest family and friends will be there.  

We havent even met with the priest yet, our wedding is March 2015. I did do a lot of research about the canon law and really don't see a problem with this but I guess I am not an expert. We have made deposits on the church and reception hall just this week. I agree with you all I should discuss it with the priest, I am not trying to be sneaky or hide anything from anyone.

I consider it a little crazy to call my plan rude righ toff the bat, but if thats the way strangers feel on this forum, and maybe how some guests of ours will feel in the future, we can live with that.

we do care about our guests having a nice time at our wedding, but when it comes down to it, it is our day and about us mostly.

• Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    edited February 2014

i guess I opened myself up to people disagreeing with me posting on a public forum. People I personally know, family friends and others who are involved in our wedding day have have responded positively. this is just what truly works for us both, so I don't see us changing our plan. I don't want our guests to be inconvenienced or put out, most if not all our guest are local. I feel if this really does offend or bother anyone, they can opt out of whatever portion they feel they don't want to be part of. I won't be upset about that. And I know our closest family and friends will be there.  

We havent even met with the priest yet, our wedding is March 2015. I did do a lot of research about the canon law and really don't see a problem with this but I guess I am not an expert. We have made deposits on the church and reception hall just this week. I agree with you all I should discuss it with the priest, I am not trying to be sneaky or hide anything from anyone.

I consider it a little crazy to call my plan rude righ toff the bat, but if thats the way strangers feel on this forum, and maybe how some guests of ours will feel in the future, we can live with that.

we do care about our guests having a nice time at our wedding, but when it comes down to it, it is our day and about us mostly.

Stop planning what you want without regard to others and talk to a priest now. You may not see an issue with it, but you are not trained in Canon law. 

I'm not even Catholic, and I find the idea that that ceremony isn't personal enough or good enough offensive. 
  • Options

This is the wrong attitude. As soon as you invite 1 guest, the day stops being only about you. The reception is a thank you to your guests and they shouldnt have to wait 2-3 hours for that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited February 2014

I am surprised.  It sounds like you are coming around to being reasonable.  Good for you.  So many brides get angry when we disagree with them and leave in a huff.  They find out later that we were right to question their judgement.
    Yes, talk to your priest right now!!!
    I do have a problem with your final sentence.  It is NOT "your day" and it is NOT "about you".
    1.  You are being married in a Catholic church.  This is not about you.  This is about the sacrament of marriage and your vows to God.
    2.  Once you invite guests to your wedding, the wedding becomes all about THEM, not you.  It is their comfort, convenience, and enjoyment that it is all about.  Your reception is not a fancy party to celebrate you.  The reception is a party to thank your guests for attending your ceremony.  This is why so many people are objecting to your plans.
    I have a suggestion that should be acceptable to your priest.  You and your new husband can exchange those special personally written vows in private, after the reception, on your honeymoon.  It would be just as meaningful to the two of you, and would not offend your Catholic relatives.
    If you follow my suggestion, you can simply invite everyone to both the ceremony and the reception.  Easy!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    alm&mdmalm&mdm member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    OP, I think you just list everything on the invite if youre set on multiple ceremonies and let guests decide how much they want to attend.

Catholic Ceremony - Location - Time

Personalized Vow Exchange - Location - Time

Reception to Follow

On a side note, Id talk to your priest soon. My FI is Catholic. I am not. We had no interest in a church wedding but went to speak with the priest to make my FMIL happy. The church she attends wouldnt even consider marrying us unless I converted. So just make sure the priest is on the same page with you guys doing just the classes. I know different churches choose different options but make sure everyone has the same outcomes in mind.
  • Options

I see what everyone is saying, but don't think my idea is unreasonable or ever was. It just doesn't cooincide with what any of you would do or have done already. But I do know that we should clear this with the church. Before, I figured the church would only be concerned about us fulfiling the sacrament, which we are. The church is aware that my fiance is not catholic, or even baptized into any religion and they expressed no concerns to that, which is why we made the deposit. the church portion is important to me, but not so much to him, so since he agreed to what I was requesting, I want to do the same for him, but incorporate different elements so it will be what he wants too and still different, unique, and special to both of us. Even if  only 10 guests  show up to either ceremony, our wedding day will still go on. Thats why I would want to make it their option - and make it clear on the invite. Again, this is why i wrote on here. I see now this clearly isn't common, therefore is hard to come up with wording that makes sense. I am still confident it can be done, though.

• Options
    I only understand the need for two ceremonies when the bride and groom are two different cultures/religions (ie. Jewish and Hindu).  What you are planning seems kinda of silly, IMO, and as a guest I would just be confused.  So, you are Catholic and would like a Catholic ceremony but he is no religious and therefore wants a non-denominational ceremony.  I think you two need to make a new compromise.  When one person is not really religious but their partner is, they often simply do the religious ceremony that their spouse wants because it is important to them.  There is nothing that the non-religious one is missing out on that I can see so I really don't see the issue with it.  
  • Options
    Side note, not related to the invitation wording: You definitely need to discuss your intentions with the priest. My FI is Catholic and I am not- I am a baptized Christian but we will still have to get dispensation from the Bishop for him to marry me. You do have time of course but it goes so fast I definitely recommend doing this sooner rather than later. When you meet with your priest for the pre-marital sessions, mention what you are looking to do and he can clarify any potential issues. 
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I just don't see how you and your FI can't come to a compromise on the ceremony. And no, having two separate ceremonies does not equal a compromise. Life and marriage is full of compromises so if you can't compromise on this I wonder how you will be able to compromise on other things.

• Options
    I am confused as to how the two ceremonies will be different?  I mean in both ceremonies you will be saying vows and exchanging rings correct?  This isn't like you will be having a Catholic ceremony and then a Hindu ceremony which comprise many differing elements.  But what you are having is two ceremonies that consist of the same things but one just doesn't include religious talk.

If I were a guest to this wedding I would be very confused why you were having two ceremonies that consist of basically the same thing.
    Not only that, but as a guest I would be freaking starving if I attended your Catholic ceremony, then wasted time for 3 hours, then had to sit through another ceremony, then it was time for cocktail hour.

Or else I wouldn't be that hungry at all because I went out to dinner during your 3 hour gap- WTF?!

I'm getting married in a Catholic church- full mass so 45mins-1hr, and then having my reception right after. . . minus travel time allotment.  So 1) why can't you do that and 2) why do you need a 2nd, non religious ceremony after you have had a religious one that already covered everything a non religious ceremony would?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited February 2014
    CMGragain said:
    I do not understand the need for a second ceremony.  Your Catholic ceremony is the only ceremony that is legal.  The second vow exchange is only symbolic.  Is your priest OK with this?  It seems disrespectful of the sacrament of marriage to me.

At the reception, wait until people are seated, then make an announcement:
    "The bride and groom will repeat their wedding vows."  Be as brief as possible.
    Nobody wants to sit through two ceremonies, especially when the second one is fake.  I do hope you have cleared this with your priest!

All of this.  How disrespectful/awkward to spring a 2nd ceremony on your priest at your reception after 3 hours after he just married you.  You are inviting your priest to your reception, right?

ETA: Maybe instead of a 2nd ceremony per se, you and your FI could read personal vows to each other right before you cut the cake?  Or maybe at the end of the night before your thank your guests at the end of the reception?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Having a gap is rude. There is a really the phrase "all dressed up with no where to go" has a negative connotation.

As for the two ceremonies, so long as you are up front about it, I don't think it is rude per se, but I do think it is too much to ask guests to sit through an hour long Catholic wedding and then another ceremony, even if it is only 10 minutes. They literally would have just seen you get married.

If you have to have two ceremonies, maybe make the Catholic one parents and WP only, then invite the rest of the guests to watch you "repeat your vows" (make sure they know you were already married earlier) and enjoy the reception.
  • Options
    Two of my cousins had two different ceremonies; one Catholic, one atheist. The first one was the only non-Catholic in her entire immediate family, and her fiance and his entire family were all Catholic, so what they did was had a tiny little atheist wedding, with about 25 people there (including the bride, groom and officiant) with no reception and the day after had a massive 250 people Catholic wedding with full mass, and a full reception. Everybody received an invitation for the second wedding, but the people who were also invited to the first got a second invitation.

The other cousin had a very liberal priest conducting the wedding, and all of her immediate family were, like her, atheist. What they did was got married in a Church, but she had atheist vows and he had Catholic vows, and they simply didn't have mass.

I'd do one of these two options to be honest; Catholic weddings and non-religious weddings are so similar people will not see the point in having two ceremonies. It's not like one is a non-religious wedding, and one is a Hindu wedding (they are completely different).
  • Options
    Every wedding I've been to with a gap - half the wedding guests show up HAMMERED!  With a 2-3 hour gap and nothing else to do everyone congregates at the hotel bar.  Another reason against gaps...
  • Options
    I would maybe make the later ceremony into a ring exchange, where you can add a personal touch to what you say. I don't know about how Catholic ceremonies work, but maybe just leave the ring part out, so it gives something to do later.

We request the honor of your presence at the marriage of our Daughter (You) to (Your FI) 

on X date
    at x Time
    at X Church

The couple will exchange rings and give personal remarks

at X Time
    at X Location

Reception to Follow

I think this idea is a bit wacky, but this would at least make it more interesting than repeating a ceremony. Also, you def will have a lot of guests that are driving in just come to the later event. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards