Chit Chat
Options

Proofread for me please?

Many of you know about the issues with my new boss. The latest development: I was supposed to work on Valentine's Day. I was sick. Could not talk, could not walk, couldn't even sit up without help, in and out of consciousness (can't even really call it sleep), high fever, coughing and sneezing, earache, you name it I had it. I felt guilty about not going in but knew that I couldn't work. I tried to find someone to cover for me. No one could. I called them and apologized but explained the situation. He wasn't happy.
Flash toward to today: Still sick. Not as bad but still having a hard time walking on my own. And sneezing all over the place. Got someone to cover for me. Coworker (let's call him Joe) is a great friend and is fed up with this boss too. So he slips me some info saying that if at all possible, I should go in. Boss cut my hours for not coming in (my hours for the couple weeks prior to this were already 15-17 if I was lucky and already steadily dropping). Another juicer tidbit: All the Hispanic workers have been getting significantly more hours than the rest of us. Even if someone just has a Hispanic last name (I have a coworker that Boss hasn't actually met, who has a Hispanic sounding last name but hasn't a drop of Hispanic blood, no adoptions or anything else to explain why a Caucasion boy has a Spanish name). We can see everyone's schedules. And 30 hours vs 17 doesn't seem right.

So when I next see him, I will calmly point out that by staying home, he had to work longer that day and I really was sorry about that but that I ultimately saved the company from a potential lawsuit over a health hazard. And that I am almost the only thing keeping our little Del Taco from running into the ground. I have had customers that will complain to me about how rude Boss is to them, how rude he is to the employees (he yells at us in front of them), how they only come because I treat them well (they're really sweet, they have actually said that, some have even said they'll stop coming if I don't work there anymore).

So that's basically what I'm going to tell him. Any suggestions or ways I can do more about this? Also, I've heard that when a potential employer calls a past employer (unless they're listed as a personal reference also), they only ask if the individual is eligible for rehire (and if not, why not). Is that true? Or do they ask more.

Re: Proofread for me please?

• Options
    I don't know about this. In my experience, it's never helpful to antagonize a bad boss. All you can really do is go in, do an amazing job, and then use your demonstrated high-quality performance to ask for more time, if that's what you want. Or to find a different job.

About the references thing, it varies. When I've served as a reference, the prospective employers asked me lots of questions and I answered them honestly. 
  • Options
    This is a horrible idea. Horrible. Do not do this. Please.

If you antagonise him, he will likely fire you. Utah is an at-will employment state, which means he needs NO reason to fire you -- even if you're the best taco-maker he has, as long as it's not an illegal termination (violates federal discrimination laws), he can fire you.

My advice is to suck it up, hunker down, and look HARD for another job.

Also, your allegation that he's giving Hispanics more hours would be insanely hard to prove legally -- he could say he's giving more hours to people with more availability, better work ethics, etc. And the Caucasian boy with the Hispanic-sounding last name would be all the proof he needs to rebut your claim.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Agree with HisGirl (as usual haha).

Do NOT say those things to your boss. You are the breadwinner in your family and you need your job, even if the hours are sparse and your boss is an ass.

Quietly look for a new job ASAP, and just suck it up until then. If you do say something, he'll likely fire you or cut your hours even more.

• Options
    Thanks for talking me down. I needed that. I am 90% sure that even if I don't antagonize him, he'll give me a bad review.

For those that are employers, if you didn't know this situation and a potential employee looked good on the application, her other (I've only had one other job) prior boss thought she was amazing, and all her personal references gave her good reviews; how badly would this one person's opinion of her affect her chances at the job (assuming education, qualification, etc., were the same as other potential candidates) or at least an interview? Are there any other factors that would tap into that decision, such as type of job that was being applied for?
  • Options
    I wasn't sure if this was a bridge to burn. My husband would've said go for it. But I wasn't sure if I might need said bridge even though it's worn, rickety, and broken.

Sorry if that made no sense. I express myself better through analogies.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    Thanks for talking me down. I needed that. I am 90% sure that even if I don't antagonize him, he'll give me a bad review. For those that are employers, if you didn't know this situation and a potential employee looked good on the application, her other (I've only had one other job) prior boss thought she was amazing, and all her personal references gave her good reviews; how badly would this one person's opinion of her affect her chances at the job (assuming education, qualification, etc., were the same as other potential candidates) or at least an interview? Are there any other factors that would tap into that decision, such as type of job that was being applied for?
    I've been in hiring positions before, and it was much more important to me how well-spoken the candidate was, how they chose to express and present themselves, and the tasks they had experience handling.

That being said, if they had more than one negative reference (or one abhorrent one), it would have influenced my decision. If a bad review does come through, I would generally ask for specific examples so that I had a better idea of the situation and could determine whether the person was speaking from personal bias, or if the poor recommendation was justified.

• Options
    Thanks Pumpkins. I'm good at presenting myself and quite well-spoken but I was worried that a job that I would otherwise have would be ruined by a poor, ignorant boss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards