Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Overwhelmed with ideas...

So, it's coming up to that time for me and my fiance to start making some (general) decisions on catering... and I'm totally overwhelmed.  We want our wedding to be fun and different, and we have an amazing caterer (Jeffrey Miller) but I can't seem to narrow down the type of food and how to serve it.  Like, not even a little bit.  Even flipping through some of the caterers recommendations hasn't helped.  We like the idea of stations, but we also like the convenience of plated food.  I like the idea of casual, but I'm not sure if the burger bar thing would be fancy enough for us...

Does anyone know of any fun wedding food-related blogs?  I feel like if I could see and flip through some cool options it would help!

Re: Overwhelmed with ideas...

• Options
    We had stations and a Texas BBQ theme. Our caterer was awesome and made it fancier than just normal BBQ. As in, the sides fit the theme but were creatively done (e.g. watermelon with honey ginger glaze). 

You could definitely make a burger bar upscale with cheese selection and fancy toppings. Do keep in mind this is eaten with hands and if people are all dressed up, it might not be the best choice. You could do a meat carving station, mashed potato bar, BYO mac and cheese (invite me if you do this), entree/side salad station, etc. If you do stations, make sure they're staffed. 

I very much prefer stations or a buffet at weddings. I'm usually hungry after a plated meal because I only like half of what's there. Then I'm gorging on wedding cake and making all kinds of bad choices. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We had a relatively traditional buffet, and then I had a milkshake truck come in that made milkshakes for my guests.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Why not do stations at cocktail hour and then serve a plated dinner?
  • Options
    I'm going to venture to say that you have plenty of ideas, you just have to decide what you want on your own. I'm also one who prefers buffets at weddings because we've got so many food sensitivities in the family that it lets people decide on their own what they can/can't have instead of a plate plunked down in front of them they can't eat anyway. Stations would be a secondary choice - as long as the caterer has enough food to go around if everyone decides to pig out. I like the PP's rec' of having station apps then either plated or buffet for the meal. At the end of the day, nothing succeeds more than the simple done well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards