Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Alterations on a Lace Dress

Hi!  I'm thinking of ordering a lace dress to be custom made for me from China.  I send the seamstress my measurements and she sends me the dress. Many people would balk at the idea, but I think it might work, and I could get the exact dress I want for within my budget.  Said people will say, "You won't be happy with it," or "You'll want a dress you can try on before you buy it." etc.  I know, I know.  I'm coming for the perspective, however, that I'm going to wear this dress for a few hours on one day of my life.  

Anyway, my question is this -- the top of the dress is lace, an off the shoulder, elbow length "shirt" that covers the dress and goes into an overlay.  I'm planning to lose weight before my wedding, but I don't want to count on it.  I'm thinking about sending my measurements as I am right now and getting the dress made for my body as I am right now. But what if I DO need it taken in?  Will it be possible to alter it?  I've heard people say you can't alter lace, but how can this be?  Don't people buy lace wedding dresses all the time, and then need them altered slightly?  I'm not looking to have it taken out, only in.  I'm not sure how these things works.  Anyone else had a similar experience?  What are your thoughts?  

Re: Alterations on a Lace Dress

• Options
    I am not even going to touch the whole ordering from China thing.

As for lace.  Yes you can alter lace dresses.  But with certain dresses, if you do have to let it out it could be harder depending on how much room in the seam there is.  The only issue you may run in would be with the length of the dress.  Typically with a lace dress the hem has a pretty scalloped edge that you cannot hem since it would ruin the finished look, but rather you have to take the lace up around the waste or another seam.

• Options
    I'm also not going to address the custom dress from China thing - except to say that you should not expect very high quality and if you have sensitive skin like me, low quality lace is really itchy.

Anyway, I had a lace dress and alterations were really expensive. I think it
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you want a custom dress, go to a local seamstress.  If you are just on a tight budget, then go to David's Bridal or other stores and shop for dresses off the rack or even used gowns.
  • Options
    You certainly can have lace dresses taken in. My sister had hers taken in about four sizes. @maggie0829 is right about the hem, but if you're sending measurements, you shouldn't have a problem.

Have you spent much time corresponding with the seamstress?  I'd suggest asking her to send some fabric swatches for you to look at first, that way you can ask the local alterations shop that you may potentially be working with what they think they can do with the fabric you like.
  • Options
    You certainly can have lace dresses taken in. My sister had hers taken in about four sizes. @maggie0829 is right about the hem, but if you're sending measurements, you shouldn't have a problem.

Have you spent much time corresponding with the seamstress?  I'd suggest asking her to send some fabric swatches for you to look at first, that way you can ask the local alterations shop that you may potentially be working with what they think they can do with the fabric you like.
    Oh geeze. Ditto the bolded. Please be careful with this. You could end up paying hundreds of dollars for a poorly-designed dress made from cheap fabric. 

But yes, lace can be difficult to alter. My dress was full lace and had very little room to be let out. It also had scalloped ends with no hem lace, so it had to be taken up at the waist. It was complicated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards