Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid robes or shirts?

2»

Re: Bridesmaid robes or shirts?

• Options
    HPUgirl27 said:
    I gave my three bridesmaids silk robes from Target, as well as some other things and two wore them the day of the wedding and really liked them. The other one claimed to have forgotten hers but she was happily wearing it at the bachelorette party. No harm no foul, just because the majority of people on here think it's cheesy and don't like robes as a gift, doesn't mean anyone who likes it is being fake to save hurt feelings. I would be happy to receive one because every wedding I've been in I just get jewelry to wear for the wedding and half of the time they pay for my hair/nails.  
    Do your friends know that you've posted a picture of them in bathrobes on an international forum? I would be absolutely horrified if that were me. If you want to post pictures of yourself half dressed, go ahead. You can delete this by hovering over the photo, and selecting "delete".
    Yeah, this is really not cool. You should delete that photo. 
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

I think it's a "know your crowd" thing, but also I don't think they should be considered your gift to the BMs, because you're giving them more for you and the photo op than you are for their enjoyment.  That's fine - you can give them something because you think it'll be cute in pictures - but that's a gift for you, not them, and should be used to replace your actual gifts for them.

I am actually giving my BMs robes (most of them have actually randomly mentioned that they wished they had a robe within the past year), but none of them say "bridesmaid" on them. They have their names, but that's it.  And I don't consider this to be their gift - I'm also giving each of them jewelry and something just for them - gift cards, wine glasses, whatever they might personally want that has nothing to do with my wedding.

I'm actually doing this too. I know I originally asked this question here and answered saying I wouldn't get either... but then multiple bridesmaids have asked if they could wear "cute matching robes" for when we're getting ready before the wedding. In their defense, most have never been a bridesmaid before and the matching robe picture is actually really exciting for them. It's exciting for me too. I think it's definitely a know-your-crowd thing so I did end up buying silk robes with their names embroided in them (no "bridesmaid" or anything) and will also be getting them champagne flutes from Tiffany's as an additional gift.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I think buying a robe is 10X better than buying them jewelry they will guaranteed never wear again after my wedding. For my bridesmaid gifts I got them all robes with their names stitched on them, a champagne toasting glass that I am hand-etching with their initials, and a mini handheld fan (my wedding is in July in the Central Valley-it is likely to be 105-110 degrees out). Although all these things technically are wedding-related and will be used at the wedding, after the day is over they don't scream "THIS WAS MY BRIDESMAID GIFT." While I think that shopping for the girls like its their birthday is a nice gesture, they are all expecting to get something matching anyway, so might as well do it and make it cuter than a t-shirt that says "Nicole's Bridesmaid" or a gaudy piece of costume jewelry. 
    Just because they may be expecting matching gifts does not mean that they are actually looking forward to those cutesy matching BM gifts that everyone hates.  So why not surprise them by actually shopping for them like it is their birthday rather then be lazy and say "oh, well they expect matching gifts anyways"?

Late to the party, but I just wanted to second the above.

I shopped for my bridesmaids like it was their birthday, and I got them all different gifts. Their response? "Wow, they're all different! That's so cool!" They were totally expecting the matchy matchy crap that everyone gets from being in a wedding, but they were super happy to get different gifts that actually showed some thought put into them.

Plus, not a single gift was remotely wedding related. One girl just got business cards for her new job, so I got her a nice silver Kate Spade business card holder. Another girl loves to travel and just bought a one-way ticket to a foreign country, so I got her a travel related book.

H went the traditional route and got his groomsmen matching gifts. They all liked them, but his BM commented, "Wow, kat1114 really put a lot of thought into her gifts."

Which response would you rather have?
  • Options
    I got the ones on the Knot Shop. They have a few options but I got the silk kimono one. I thought it would be a fun gift to use while getting ready. I didn't put wedding party positions on there but had them embroidered with their names. I liked the way they came out. Hopefully they will use them again, but if not that is ok. 

If you want them for pictures, get them, It's about what you want on your wedding day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I got the ones on the Knot Shop. They have a few options but I got the silk kimono one. I thought it would be a fun gift to use while getting ready. I didn't put wedding party positions on there but had them embroidered with their names. I liked the way they came out. Hopefully they will use them again, but if not that is ok. 

If you want them for pictures, get them, It's about what you want on your wedding day. 

Sure, she can get them. It might be about what the bride wants on her wedding day, but what the BM's wear to get ready has ansolutely nothing to do with what the bride wants. Her day, their bodies.
  • Options
    peachy13 said:
    dcbride86 said:

I think it's a "know your crowd" thing, but also I don't think they should be considered your gift to the BMs, because you're giving them more for you and the photo op than you are for their enjoyment.  That's fine - you can give them something because you think it'll be cute in pictures - but that's a gift for you, not them, and should be used to replace your actual gifts for them.

I am actually giving my BMs robes (most of them have actually randomly mentioned that they wished they had a robe within the past year), but none of them say "bridesmaid" on them. They have their names, but that's it.  And I don't consider this to be their gift - I'm also giving each of them jewelry and something just for them - gift cards, wine glasses, whatever they might personally want that has nothing to do with my wedding.

I'm actually doing this too. I know I originally asked this question here and answered saying I wouldn't get either... but then multiple bridesmaids have asked if they could wear "cute matching robes" for when we're getting ready before the wedding. In their defense, most have never been a bridesmaid before and the matching robe picture is actually really exciting for them. It's exciting for me too. I think it's definitely a know-your-crowd thing so I did end up buying silk robes with their names embroided in them (no "bridesmaid" or anything) and will also be getting them champagne flutes from Tiffany's as an additional gift.

Champagne flutes are certainly a WONDERFUL gift, and I would love them because I love me so champagne, but you should also think about whether all your bridesmaids would like it.  I'm getting my BMs each something individual - in addition to a few "cutesy" matching gifts (most of which are the result of me having a long engagement and just seeing cute things I thought they might like haha).  At least 2 of my BMs don't like champagne and wouldn't really drink it, so that gift wouldn't be great for them.  I'm getting 1 a "wine of the month" club, another a gift card to a restaurant and pre-paid babysitting services so she can have a night away, etc.  They're individual and have nothing to do with the wedding.  I want them to know I appreciate them, and the best way to do that is to show them that you love them individually - not just as a group.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards