Chit Chat
Options

Just... ugh

novella1186novella1186 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2015 in Chit Chat
I'm so annoyed right now. There's a girl in my office -- we'll call her Jessica-- that I sometimes collaborate with on projects. I've tried to hang out with her outside of work but she always blows me off. No big deal. I just would consider her a colleague and not a friend. 

Ever since I got engaged she's been hounding me for an invitation to my wedding. I've never talked about wedding stuff with her. In fact, I desperately avoid the topic at work. FI and I can't afford (and don't want) a huge guest list. I had to cut some people off my list who I've known for years and who I consider to be much closer friends to me than Jessica. 

She has even sent me a message over our office IM thing to say that I BETTER be sending her an invite. My response was literally "did you get that file I sent you?" I bean dip the hell out of her every time. In fact, the only time I've gone beyond bean dipping was the few times I've said "We have a really small guest list."

There are two other people in my office that I consider to be real friends (not just work friends) that I was going to invite, but ended up having to cut them off my list. I also thought inviting them might cause drama with Jessica, because I am NOT inviting her. Why she thinks she's entitled to an invitation is beyond me. And why she thinks hounding me about it at work is ok is also beyond me. 

She just showed up at my desk to nag me about a project (AKA push some of her work onto me cuz she thinks I'm too stupid to know that's what she's doing) and just before she walked away, out of nowhere she said "I haven't gotten my invitation to your wedding yet!" I just kind of laughed and started fucking with my computer to show her I'm busy (ok I'm busy on TK but still busy!) so she would go away. But she didn't go away. She said, "I'm serious. I mean it. I want my invitation!" and then really loud so I'm sure this whole floor just heard her, "I BETTER BE INVITED TO YOUR WEDDING!" 

Really? You better? Why? Because you happen to sit several desks over from me? I didn't say a word in response. Didn't even look at her. How fucking rude and obnoxious. I'm tired and nauseous from my antibiotics so I am in one shitty mood today and I really wanted to tell her to fuck off. This is like the 50th time she has nagged me about being invited. Get the fuck over it. I would NEVER presume to be invited to the wedding of a colleague, or of someone I don't know well and I most DEFINITELY would never nag them about it or repeatedly say that I had "BETTER be invited!" Nope. Nope nope nope. At this point if I had space on the guest list I STILL wouldn't even invite her cuz she's fucking rude and annoying. 

Just wanted to whine about that. And I seriously do not know what to do to deter her. 

ETF: words. 

Re: Just... ugh

• Options
    Considering that no one in your office is invited anyway, can you tell her you're eloping? Or does she FB stalk you too?

imageimage

• Options
    Ugh. Have you told her flat out she's not invited? I mean, it sucks but I'm sure she'll find out eventually. What's the potential fallout once she does?

What a rudie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    That's ridiculously immature of her.  Demanding an invite?  At work?  Ugh.  Sorry you had to deal with her shit. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You have more patience than I do. I would have lost it on her already and just straight up said "You're not invited." 

• Options
    Considering that no one in your office is invited anyway, can you tell her you're eloping? Or does she FB stalk you too?
    Oh she FB stalks me for sure. I didn't even want to accept her friend request because I don't like having work people on my personal FB, but she threw a big bitch fit about it and said I was "being a bad friend." No, I'm not being a friend at all. Because I'm not your friend. 
  • Options
    Oh she FB stalks me for sure. I didn't even want to accept her friend request because I don't like having work people on my personal FB, but she threw a big bitch fit about it and said I was "being a bad friend." No, I'm not being a friend at all. Because I'm not your friend. 
    She sounds nuts! People who want to be invited to weddings of casual acquaintences baffle me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ugh. Have you told her flat out she's not invited? I mean, it sucks but I'm sure she'll find out eventually. What's the potential fallout once she does?

What a rudie. 

SIB
    I think the only real fallout is that she'll pout and make a huge obnoxious scene about it. I mean what's she gonna do? Fire me? She's not my boss. She has no authority here. We're on the exact same "level." She may not help me with stuff anymore but her "help" is pretty worthless anyway so I don't care. 

I almost hope she'll IM me about it again so I can say it to her via IM (at which point how much do you want to bet she'll come stomping over to my desk and make a scene anyway?). It's not something that I feel is appropriate discussing in our office with everyone around us. Or at all. 
  • Options
    She has a new boyfriend that she is creepily obsessed with. Like whoa. I almost feel like the reason she's so desperate to get invited is so that they have a big fancy event to dress up for and attend together and oh how romantic, a wedding! Well fuck that. Go plan your own dates. 
  • Options

I would definitely tell her that she isn't invited. I don't care if it is rude. She is harrassing you for an invitation. Bitch is crazy. If she has a problem or tries to tell you that you are a bad "friend", then I suggest sending her this:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    She has a new boyfriend that she is creepily obsessed with. Like whoa. I almost feel like the reason she's so desperate to get invited is so that they have a big fancy event to dress up for and attend together and oh how romantic, a wedding! Well fuck that. Go plan your own dates. 
    Maybe she's hoping he'll propose because a wedding is a great place to propose!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Gross. And yeah, at this point it's time to transition from bean-dip to "We couldn't invite everyone we would have liked to."
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

What a wacko. I think next time she brings it up you're just going to have to tell her that she isn't invited. "Our guest list is really small and we aren't inviting any colleagues". It's not like she can jump all over you for inviting someone else in the office, and if she makes a huge scene at work then that's just going to make her look bad.

Maybe make sure there's no info about the ceremony or reception locations on facebook...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'd probably point blank look at her and say "this conversation is rather rude and inappropriate. I do not feel comfortable discussing this and I'd appreciate if you didn't bring it up again."
  • Options
    emmaaa said:
    She sounds crazy. How do you know so many crazy people, novella?!?
    Lol that is a damn good question. I think there's something in the core of my bones, that I --and normal people-- can't possibly detect, that drives all the crazies straight towards me. 
  • Options
    Damn.  That's nuts.  My twin sister said she better get an invitation to my wedding, and she knew she would be my maid of honor.  That is the only appropriate situation, when someone is that close to you, that it would be absurd if you didn't invite them.
      Unfortunately, weddings bring out the crazies, and this coworker is no exception.  Weddings aren't free.  To host the occasion properly, you have to manage your guest list and not invite the world. I hate entitled people... they're THE WORST!
  • Options

What a rudie. 

SIB
    I think the only real fallout is that she'll pout and make a huge obnoxious scene about it. I mean what's she gonna do? Fire me? She's not my boss. She has no authority here. We're on the exact same "level." She may not help me with stuff anymore but her "help" is pretty worthless anyway so I don't care. 

I almost hope she'll IM me about it again so I can say it to her via IM (at which point how much do you want to bet she'll come stomping over to my desk and make a scene anyway?). It's not something that I feel is appropriate discussing in our office with everyone around us. Or at all. 
    Tell her NO. Straight out. If she makes a scene, she's the one showing her ass. 
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Damn.  That's nuts.  My twin sister said she better get an invitation to my wedding, and she knew she would be my maid of honor.  That is the only appropriate situation, when someone is that close to you, that it would be absurd if you didn't invite them.
      Unfortunately, weddings bring out the crazies, and this coworker is no exception.  Weddings aren't free.  To host the occasion properly, you have to manage your guest list and not invite the world. I hate entitled people... they're THE WORST!
    I asked my husband if I was invited to our wedding. He said "we'll see." I then asked him if I'd be allowed to bring a date. Mwahahaha.
    This almost made me pee my pants. Lol
  • Options
    I guess it might be fun to fuck with her. Next time she says "I BETTER be invited!" you could just calmly, sweetly inquire: "Or else what?" [bat eyelashes]
    Do this!!!
  • Options
    She is incredibly rude, and I;m sorry you have to deal with her. Unfortunately, with clueless people like her, I'm afraid you are going to have to have to have the verbal equivalent of this: image

I'm always so surprised at people who so wantonly violate other's personal boundaries, especially at work. I think it is time to limited profile her on FB, not talk to her about anything except work, etc. You are right to keep it private. She needs to be kept at arms length. Frankly, if she mentions it again, I would say something like "Oh, I don't want to talk about that with work colleagues, especially since I like to keep my private and work life separate".  I get that is rather passive aggressive, but I feel like she needs to be reminded she is a WORK colleague, not a friend. 
  • Options
    Yeah and she's been married before so she has to have at least some kind of vague understanding that weddings cost money and guest lists have practical limits. So... wtf? None of my close friends or relatives have demanded an invite, but this rando that I barely know is entitled to one? 
  • Options
    beethery said:

What a rudie. 

SIB

Tell her NO. Straight out. If she makes a scene, she's the one showing her ass. 
    I kind of want to see her bring this to her boss. Like "Novella won't invite me to her wedding!!!! DO SOMETHING!!!!"...just to see what happens.
  • Options
    WOW, how freaking obnoxious! Social Cues 101, Jessica-let it go already!

Formerly martha1818

• Options

Tell her she's not invited.

Additionally, consider complaining to HR. Depending on your company's policy (mine is super broad, friggin govt pc crap) this qualifies as serious harassment, and they can tell her to stfu and back off. Or else risk suspension/termination. Tell them her harassment is interfering with your productivity and making you uncomfortable.

Im a bitch. I'd totally complain, suggest possible witnesses etc, then video record her batshit psycho ass to provide evidence of the cray cray

Remind me never to get on your bad side...
  • Options
    Ugh can't believe people actually do this. Well, I can but, it's so damn annoying.

I agree that you have to tell her she's not invited. You can always say that you finalized your guest list and with all your family, friend and guests on your FI's side you are at max capacity. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards