Chit Chat
Options

Potential Bridesmaid Dresses-Again-Sorry

kmbay84kmbay84 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2015 in Chit Chat
Hello Wonderful Knotties,

I am looking at two potential bridesmaid dresses and just want to get some third party opinion.  I will of course ask the thoughts of my bridesmaids as well, but I just wanted to see what you all thought.  I found two that are in my price range and that have straps.  I was trying to find dresses that looked comfortable to wear, have straps, and look somewhat light weight.  I also tried to find something that they might want to wear again as well as something that is at a national chain since a couple live out of state.  Anyway, what do you all think of these two bridesmaid dresses?  I don't care if some wear one and some wear the other.  They are different shades of blue also, which I don't care at this point.  I also don't care if they want to wear a bra with one and some of it shows in the back.  I don't care, especially if she is more comfortable that way.  I keep telling myself that the most important thing is that my fiance and I get married and that everyone has as good of a time as possible.  The rest can just happen.  Anyway, enough rambling.

I tried to copy and paste pictures, but it wouldn't work.  So here are some links:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_short-tank-mesh-dress-with-cowl-back-f16007

Picture this is a Pacific blue

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_short-tank-mesh-dress-with-cowl-back-f16007

This would be in a horizon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks knotties!

Re: Potential Bridesmaid Dresses-Again-Sorry

• Options
    Check your links. Both the same dress. Nice dress, but one that works on limited body types.
    So if the other dress is a different style for those not flattered by this one, that would be giving a real choice. When you post link also describe BM

Tall or short, small med large chests , or any range in weight.. If they all have the same body type, easy peasy.

Lots of times BM dresses get to be tough because brides picks by one criteria, pretty and right color, while BM only care, will it flatter MY body type, and will the color suit MY coloring.

Many threads here, and many weddings I have been in, wars start between bride and some WP and their different concerns are the reason, or price.
  • Options
    Both links are the same. They're pretty, but I'm getting a more Grecian vibe (unless that's what your going for). What's the other dress?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    kmbay84kmbay84 member
    edited January 2015
    Doh! Sorry about that! Thank you! I have a range of body types, from tall and slim to more well endowed. Here is the other correct link for the other one: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_sleeveless-jersey-dress-with-charmeuse-waist-band-e44239_wedding-party-all-bridesmaid-dresses Or even if some have one and some have the other. I feel like I have been searching high and low. Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    kmbay84 said:
    Doh! Sorry about that! Thank you! I have a range of body types, from tall and slim to more well endowed. Here is the other correct link for the other one: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_sleeveless-jersey-dress-with-charmeuse-waist-band-e44239_wedding-party-all-bridesmaid-dresses Or even if some have one and some have the other. I feel like I have been searching high and low. Thanks ladies!
    Personally, I like this one much better. I think the photos in the reviews are pretty and they seem more flattering than the first pick.

• Options
    They are both nice dresses, and I like it when dresses are more than one color rather than exact match. Blues flatter most hair colors and complexions, price is very reasonable.

My guess is you may need a third choice. Neither dress has enough structure for someone with a big bust unless they wear very structured foundations. And the armhole, back and neck of neither dress would allow that. Both styles very forgiving of hippy figures, but the second terrible for someone with the slightest not flat belly, they would look pregnant.

If you can find a third choice with same v neck but with a higher back, and a three to five inch midriff panel that is snug, you would have compatible choices for multiple figure types.

It is hard choosing for other figure types than your own.
  • Options
    kmbay84kmbay84 member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @hellohkb! I was thinking the same thing. Good call @WhatawagSBNy! I was also trying to find a third with the structure that you are talking about, but to no avail. It is so hard! I have been searching for bridesmaid dresses, and have also been in my first semester of grad school, for the past 3 months! So frustrating! Why can't they just make nice dresses with thick enough straps to wear a bra as well as a high back line!? It should not be that hard! Ugh, sorry, it just has been super stressful. Thank you ladies for your very helpful advice!
  • Options
    kmbay84 said:
    Thanks @hellohkb! I was thinking the same thing. Good call @WhatawagSBNy! I was also trying to find a third with the structure that you are talking about, but to no avail. It is so hard! I have been searching for bridesmaid dresses, and have also been in my first semester of grad school, for the past 3 months! So frustrating! Why can't they just make nice dresses with thick enough straps to wear a bra as well as a high back line!? It should not be that hard! Ugh, sorry, it just has been super stressful. Thank you ladies for your very helpful advice!
    Most dresses don't have a lot of structure for boob. I think the best thing you can do is make sure they can wear a regular bra with their dress. If a t-shirt bra would be hidden underneath, you got yourself a good dress for boobs.

Unless the dress has like a corset and boning, it's not going to replace a bra.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I like them. 

This would still be a lot easier on yourself if you let them choose their own dresses though. Their level of comfort might be different than what you're guessing.

• Options
    I think you've done your homework, but now it's time for your bridesmaids to take a turn. Their budgets come first. If these two dresses are within thei budgets, then it's time for them to chech toes two out.
  • Options
    I would just let them pick any dress in Horizon. It's a beautiful color and there are tons of choices available.
  • Options
    I really like the Pacific color, but I also think that if some are in Pacific and others in Horizon, they'll complement each other well.

I prefer the second dress, as it has a more defined waist.

If someone is busty, the V-neck can be altered to provide more coverage, which will also allow them to wear a sturdy bra without worrying about it showing.
  • Options

They are both nice dresses, and I like it when dresses are more than one color rather than exact match. Blues flatter most hair colors and complexions, price is very reasonable.

My guess is you may need a third choice. Neither dress has enough structure for someone with a big bust unless they wear very structured foundations. And the armhole, back and neck of neither dress would allow that. Both styles very forgiving of hippy figures, but the second terrible for someone with the slightest not flat belly, they would look pregnant.

If you can find a third choice with same v neck but with a higher back, and a three to five inch midriff panel that is snug, you would have compatible choices for multiple figure types.

I think this is really off base. I wear a 36G and I'd easily be able to wear any normal bra with either of these dresses just by safety pinning the bra to the back of the dress. I don't think they'd make anyone look pregnant.
  • Options
    WhatawagSBNyWhatawagSBNy member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Starmoon44 - okay. We will have to agree to disagree.
    Edited to add: If you look at the second dress link, it shows the dress in a lighter green to the right. In the center front, the gathers right under the soft front midriff band will pouffe out on anyone without a flat tummy to cause what I call the pg look.

Of course if any bridesmaid thinks she may be pregnant by wedding time, it is a good choice and much nicer than most dresses designed for early maternity. On a flat stomach it will look like on the model, and be nice. Wag
  • Options
    They are both nice dresses, and I like it when dresses are more than one color rather than exact match. Blues flatter most hair colors and complexions, price is very reasonable. My guess is you may need a third choice. Neither dress has enough structure for someone with a big bust unless they wear very structured foundations. And the armhole, back and neck of neither dress would allow that. Both styles very forgiving of hippy figures, but the second terrible for someone with the slightest not flat belly, they would look pregnant. If you can find a third choice with same v neck but with a higher back, and a three to five inch midriff panel that is snug, you would have compatible choices for multiple figure types. It is hard choosing for other figure types than your own.
    I think this is really off base. I wear a 36G and I'd easily be able to wear any normal bra with either of these dresses just by safety pinning the bra to the back of the dress. I don't think they'd make anyone look pregnant.
    I'm a 34GG UK size (which is some ridiculous size in US) anywho, the back of the first dress made me go "nope" and the back of the second I imagine I could get altered so the straps are not so wide apart and bring up the v in the back as well.  
    OP, would you be open to having your BMs just pick dresses in a certain colour scheme or dresses that are in Horizon and/or Pacific blue and perhaps a certain material and/or length?
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    They are both nice dresses, and I like it when dresses are more than one color rather than exact match. Blues flatter most hair colors and complexions, price is very reasonable. My guess is you may need a third choice. Neither dress has enough structure for someone with a big bust unless they wear very structured foundations. And the armhole, back and neck of neither dress would allow that. Both styles very forgiving of hippy figures, but the second terrible for someone with the slightest not flat belly, they would look pregnant. If you can find a third choice with same v neck but with a higher back, and a three to five inch midriff panel that is snug, you would have compatible choices for multiple figure types. It is hard choosing for other figure types than your own.

I actually agree. I wear a 28FF (28H in American sizes) and this dress would actually work pretty well for me. I wouldn't be mad at all if it was a friend's pick for a dress. There's even room for granny-bra straps under there.

OP, I do think it's kinder to give your friends a bit more choice in general so it might be nice to say "anything knee-length in that fabric in Horizon", but that shape especially on the second one is a pretty safe, forgiving one in my opinion. Personally, I might not feel amazing in it but I would look fine and be able to wear normal undergarments and not have to worry about tight satin stretched across my stomach after dinner, so it's pretty much a winner to me.

ETA: I looked at the back again and it's not that low, a bra would go under it fine as long as the bra is fit properly and sits under the shoulderblades instead of riding up. I have a dress with the same back that I wear a bra under easily. I did notice that the sizing is pretty generous, though, so if you have anyone tiny in your party, make sure you've got alterations included in the budget.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think they are both pretty, but the second one might be more flattering on a wider range of body types.

Why not just choose a couple of complementary DB colors and some basic guidelines (knee length) and let your BMs choose their own dresses?  I also have a really wide range of body types, modesty needs, and heights across my party, and we went with multiple styles in the same color.  The dresses haven't come in yet but the ladies seemed pretty excited about being able to choose whatever they wanted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    @JCbride2015‌ I can't wait to see your girls' dresses!!

• Options
    @JCbride2015‌ I can't wait to see your girls' dresses!!
    They don't come in until Aprilllllllll ugh.

But you've basically already seen them :)  I hope they look good long.  Nobody had long samples.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options

Yep, I'm 32G and I personally would not have a problem with the second dress.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I prefer the second one. The first one lacks a defined waist, and for me personally, I would look a little pregnant. I also prefer the horizon color, personally, but I think letting your girls pick out of the two colors would be really nice.
    I agree, first thing I thought was I'd look pregnant in the first dress!  Second dress, while not perfect, would at least be better.
  • Options
    All wonderful advice! Thank you ladies! I am paying for the dresses, which makes picking some out a little trickier. If I wasn't paying for them, I would just say find a dress that you are comfortable in that is knee-length and the horizon or pacific shade of blue, or heck any shade of blue for that matter. Is it bad that I don't really care if they are all different shades of blue? I have my personal budget that I can spend on each dress, so it's hard to find something within that budget. Two also live out of state. I suppose I could just send them a check for what I can pay and let them pick out a dress themselves. If they do happen to see other dresses that they like better or find to be more comfortable, then I am definitely open to that. I do understand where you all are coming from though! Thank you again for your helpful comments and advice! Very much appreciated!
  • Options
    Your flexibility is wonderful. Applause. Stress reducing for you, too, if they come up with something nice and you can stop looking and pay attention to school.
  • Options
    kmbay84kmbay84 member
    edited January 2015
    Thank you @WhatawagSBNy!  I am trying!  My FSIL was joking that they would make me into a bridezilla yet after my FMIL commented that I am accommodating.  My FMIL was asking if my FFIL could wear a suit that he already had.  I said of course, that's all good with me!  I don't want to make him go out and buy a new one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards