Chit Chat
Options

"I just can't believe it!"

2»

Re: "I just can't believe it!"

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    larrygaga said:
    It was a big enough deal for you to make a thread about it.

The youth of this country will be our downfall ><

Wait. . .please tell me you're Canadian! ;-)
    And just who is raising this youth?
    GenX or GenY should be old enough to have college aged kids, right?  Then again, it takes a village, right?
    My parents fall into GenX....I am very done with college and almost 30.

What...they started young they had shit to do.
    I never claimed to be able to Math correctly!

I can't actually keep track of all the labels the sociologists or whomever put on the generations, anyways.  I know Baby Boomers bc they were post WWII because everyone was so relieved not to be speaking German they just banged like crazy.
    When I was in school our teachers would always be "Baby Boomers would probably be your parents generation" and I was like...my parents were born in the late 60s. My grandma is a baby boomer though.

But my parents were 19. I am the product of college freshmen drinking tequila and using free condoms...incorrectly. Not what one would call "planned for". 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    larrygaga said:

GenX or GenY should be old enough to have college aged kids, right?  Then again, it takes a village, right?

I can't actually keep track of all the labels the sociologists or whomever put on the generations, anyways.  I know Baby Boomers bc they were post WWII because everyone was so relieved not to be speaking German they just banged like crazy.
    That's how my dad explained it to me. He's a baby boomer.

I don't know if I count as Generation Y or Millenial. I'm 27.
    I think we're like first wave Millenials. Because I'm 28 and I'm a little too for GenY.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:
    larrygaga said:

When I was in school our teachers would always be "Baby Boomers would probably be your parents generation" and I was like...my parents were born in the late 60s. My grandma is a baby boomer though.

But my parents were 19. I am the product of college freshmen drinking tequila and using free condoms...incorrectly. Not what one would call "planned for". 
    Same. My mom was born in the 70's hahaha.
  • Options
    I always thought the labels were a bit silly and were used too much to "other." 

Whatever it is one generation wanted to complain about the next or previous- laziness, stupidity, arrogance, etc- those are like multi generational traits.  I mean, Socrates was bitching about it how long ago? ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I always thought the labels were a bit silly and were used too much to "other." 

Whatever it is one generation wanted to complain about the next or previous- laziness, stupidity, arrogance, etc- those are like multi generational traits.  I mean, Socrates was bitching about it how long ago? ;-)
    I honestly don't even know which label applies to me. I'm 25, but yeah, no clue.
  • Options
    I have heard, or read on teh Google, from a few sources that anyone born between 1981 and 2000 is a Gen Y and or a Millenial.

What I should have Googles is how these labels all got started and why.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I have heard, or read on teh Google, from a few sources that anyone born between 1981 and 2000 is a Gen Y and or a Millenial.

Here ya go (I was curious too)
  • Options

Here ya go (I was curious too)

• Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Oh guys, I can't even tell you how stupid the world of demographics is. I see many sources talking about it all the time, and it seems like the general consensus (at least for the US government) is that millennials are born between 1981-2000, Gen X is 1965-1980, and baby boomers are 1946-1964.

I have also seen data that counts anyone under 35 as "millennial," but then divides that large pie into "Gen Y" (the 18-34s) and "Gen Z" (the Youngs). 

It's all a shitshow. Basically they don't know what to call any generation until it's pretty well grown, I think. The most interesting demographic breakdowns, to me, are the ones that look at the social changes that were happening while they came of age. So, the Depression and WW11 for my grandparents', the Cold War, Civil Rights Movement, and "hippie culture" for the boomers, the prosperity of the 80s and 90s for Gen X, and probably the explosion of the internet and tech worlds for us*. The kids? I would almost have to think that the defining aspect of the generation born after 2000 would have to be 9/11 and its aftermath--the pervasiveness of terrorism and suicide bombings seems to characterize these kids' youth, right? They don't remember what things were like before 9/11. That's fascinating to me to contemplate.

Although only time will tell what "defines" each generation. I'm not even that confident that the 80s/90s boom is that important to Gen X. But it's more fun to talk about than, say, specific years that are included.

*Edit for clarity: by "us" I mean "my generation/millennials"--I'm 29.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:
    larrygaga said:

And that's how you get a lesbian. Everyone should wait until there is a marriage and stay within their religious and race groups, just to be sure we stop getting gays

*this is a bad joke and i can't make the italics go away. It's the gay's fault*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Speaking of blaming generations for societal problems, I had a convocation speaker who decided that it was the perfect time to say that the downfall of the economy was our parent's fault. Yes, I get it, theres tons of blame to go around, but it might be best to keep these opinions to yourself, especially when student's family members/kin/whomever attended on the student's behalf were responsible for your payment that day (students had to buy tickets from the school). I think the only positive part of his speech was the ending "stay weird class of 2013." Last time I checked, I am still weird.

Anyway I think that each generation has its strengths and weaknesses. How is generalizing an entire generation not a form of prejudice? 

• Options
    ^^^My mom was born in '75, I'm 20, and I am definitely the downfall of society.

I cried when Robin Williams died. :(
  • Options
    Although societal problems are really wayyyyy too complex to blame on ANY single group of people or ANY one single oversight, I find this video hilarious.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards