Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Catholic Ceremony & beach ceremony

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have decided to get married in Punta Cana next fall.  While we are planning to get legally married there, we have just learned that you cannot have a Catholic ceremony on the beach, only in a church or gazebo.  

While neither my fiance or I are religious at all, our parents feel very strongly about us getting married by a priest.  My dream is to have a beach wedding which is the whole reason we chose destination. However, our parents have been extremely supportive of the destination idea and are helping us financially with the wedding so I'd like to compromise.

My question is - what are your opinions on having 2 ceremonies? Has anyone ever done this before?  We would have a large beach ceremony where I would wear my dress and have our bridal party and around 100 guests with reception to follow, and then a catholic ceremony in the church with our parents and grandparents.  These would be on separate days.  Does etiquette state we invite all guests to both ceremonies? Which ceremony should come first?

Thank you for any advice!

Re: Catholic Ceremony & beach ceremony

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I always dreamed of a beach wedding

DH and I both were brought up Catholic.   Confirmation and all.

My parents paid for most of the reception.

Both sets of parents are strong Catholics. I have priests and nuns as extended cousins.  Over half of my nieces and nephews go to Catholic school.   My cousin is a dean of students of a Catholic HS.   A few of my family have gone or are going to Catholic colleges.    Catholicism runs in our blood. 

While disappointed everyone supported OUR choice of not having a Catholic ceremony.  We are not religious, we do not go to church.   We had 145 attend our OOT beach wedding.   I would say 80% of them were Catholic.

If you don't want a Catholic ceremony don't have one.  If you do, then have follow the rules of the Catholic Church.    Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

If you really feel strongly about getting married in the church, then marry in a church/gazebo in the DR and have your reception on the beach. If this request for a church wedding is only important to your parents and you don't care, then don't get married in the church. Have the beach wedding with everyone present.

Whatever the case, you only get one ceremony. Also, you cannot legally marry on the beach and then have a ceremony in the church. Most churches will not allow this. For the sake of all of your guests who are probably spending $1500+/person to attend, have one ceremony, have it be legal, and have your guests witness this ceremony and attend the reception following the ceremony.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    1.  You get ONE wedding ceremony if you are being married in the USA.  This is also the case in the DR., since priests, there, are allowed to perform the legal ceremony.
    2.  As you know, priests cannot perform the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony anywhere except in a Catholic Church (sacred ground).

If you want a Catholic marriage, you must give up you idea of a beach wedding.  If you have a re-do ceremony on the beach, it is an insult to your Catholic guests and to the Catholic Church.
    If you decide your beach wedding is more important than a Catholic ceremony, you can choose a civil ceremony on the beach.  This will be your only wedding.  You will then no longer be in a state of grace, and you cannot take part in the Eucharist.  You cannot have a second Catholic ceremony just because you wanted a beach wedding.  These are the rules of the Catholic Church - not mine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    The Catholic Church generally isn't amenable to having a second ceremony. A convalidation ceremony is reserved for certain cases, most often for couples who come into the faith after marriage and want their marriage blessed by the Church. If you're not religious anyway, I can't see a priest wanting to go to bat for you with his bishop so that you can have that ceremony.

If you married in the Catholic Church first, then your beach ceremony wouldn't be a wedding. It would be a PPD which is extremely rude to all the guests who will be shelling out big bucks to come to your destination for what they think is a wedding but isn't really.
  • Options

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have decided to get married in Punta Cana next fall.  While we are planning to get legally married there, we have just learned that you cannot have a Catholic ceremony on the beach, only in a church or gazebo.  

While neither my fiance or I are religious at all, our parents feel very strongly about us getting married by a priest.  My dream is to have a beach wedding which is the whole reason we chose destination. However, our parents have been extremely supportive of the destination idea and are helping us financially with the wedding so I'd like to compromise.

My question is - what are your opinions on having 2 ceremonies? Has anyone ever done this before?  We would have a large beach ceremony where I would wear my dress and have our bridal party and around 100 guests with reception to follow, and then a catholic ceremony in the church with our parents and grandparents.  These would be on separate days.  Does etiquette state we invite all guests to both ceremonies? Which ceremony should come first?

Thank you for any advice!

If you marry in the Catholic church, part of your vows include making promises to the church. Your marriage in the church is a sacrament, and that should not be taken lightly or irreverently. Remind your parents that it would be incredibly disrespectful to enter into a faith based marriage with false statements.

As others have said, it is not possible to have a civil, legal ceremony followed by a "quickie" Catholic ceremony. The Church would not allow it. If you are legally wed first in a Catholic ceremony, then anything else is a farce.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! We may just go with the gazebo.
  • Options

Catholic weddings must take place within the church, not a gazebo.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

Catholic weddings must take place within the church, not a gazebo.

Yep, the point here is not just to have a structure over your heads, but to have the sacrament happen in a consecrated space that represents the gathering place of the whole Church. There may be a few situations where a gazebo falls into this criteria and ends up being allowed, but I can't really think of one.

Heck, at the school I went to, they had "chapels" in each of the dorms. However, since they were only consecrated to be "oratories" and not full chapels/churches, they couldn't have all the sacraments happen there (marriage being one).

• Options
    The Catholic Church isn't very forgiving about location. I would discuss this with your priest. They will likely advise that, if you want your marriage recognized by the Catholic Church, you must be married within its walls.

BUT, you could do a beach style reception. Or a beach honeymoon. Or both! Those are both great ways to get the Catholic recognition you want and the beach aspect you also want. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    From what I've read online, the DR allows Catholic ceremonies (at least those performed by a Catholic priest) to occur in a gazebo as long as it's in a quiet place away from the beach. You just cannot have a Catholic ceremony on the beach.

• Options
    All PPs had great advice for you already, but I wanted to strongly echo the idea that getting married in a Catholic ceremony for your parents is for all of the wrong reasons, and personally, I find myself disgusted by it. 

I grew up Catholic and am not practicing now, so I would never even consider the idea of having a Catholic ceremony as I would be starting off my marriage lying, and I think it's really disrespectful of true Catholics, which neither you nor your FI are. 

We didn't do it intentionally, but the gentlemen who presided over our civil ceremony in Mexico incorporated some religious-esque aspects (bowing heads and closing eyes in moment of silence, blessing from our friends and family, etc.), and it was absolutely perfect!  It honored our background and our basic beliefs without pushing it off like we're practicing members of a specific religion. Perhaps you could do something like this.   
  • Options
    Thank you all again for your advice.  It is much appreciated.  the Paradisus resorts in DR do offer legally binding catholic ceremonies by a priest in any structure, including gazebos.  Just not the beach.
  • Options

From what I've read online, the DR allows Catholic ceremonies (at least those performed by a Catholic priest) to occur in a gazebo as long as it's in a quiet place away from the beach. You just cannot have a Catholic ceremony on the beach.

This.   Just because the US might not allow them doesn't mean the DR will not.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

This.   Just because the US might not allow them doesn't mean the DR will not.

From my understanding, this has nothing to do with US vs DR.

Catholics believe that Christ is found at the alter of the church. The alter represents the center of the church, where all of its members gather. And you need this for a sacrament to officially take place.

None of this would be found in a gazebo.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Doing a search for the requirements for a Catholic ceremony in the DR, the diocese there allows ceremonies to take place in a quiet garden space or gazebo.

However, @sunniepetunia, you're going to want to make sure you can meet all the paperwork requirements. There are a number of documents you're going to have to provide that would come from your home parish and you'll need to satisfy the marriage preparation requirement here in the states. If you aren't practicing I'm going to assume you don't have a parish home. So, another reason to think about if this is something you want to do just to satisfy your parents desire to see you married by a priest.
  • Options
    geebee908 said:

Doing a search for the requirements for a Catholic ceremony in the DR, the diocese there allows ceremonies to take place in a quiet garden space or gazebo.

However, @sunniepetunia, you're going to want to make sure you can meet all the paperwork requirements. There are a number of documents you're going to have to provide that would come from your home parish and you'll need to satisfy the marriage preparation requirement here in the states. If you aren't practicing I'm going to assume you don't have a parish home. So, another reason to think about if this is something you want to do just to satisfy your parents desire to see you married by a priest.

I didn't know that. I thought the rules between dioceses were more consistet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thank you all again for your advice.  It is much appreciated.  the Paradisus resorts in DR do offer legally binding catholic ceremonies by a priest in any structure, including gazebos.  Just not the beach.

Ha. That diocese decided to go that way, eh? I'd be interested to hear the bishop's rationale. Anyway, this will definitely allow you to compromise, although if you still do not actually believe in the Catholic sacrament yourselves, I wouldn't do the compromise.
  • Options

Ha. That diocese decided to go that way, eh? I'd be interested to hear the bishop's rationale. Anyway, this will definitely allow you to compromise, although if you still do not actually believe in the Catholic sacrament yourselves, I wouldn't do the compromise.

@sunniepetunia, you state very clearly that neither you or your FI are religious. While you may be able to have a Catholic ceremony, I find it personally offensive and disrespectful as a Catholic that you would marry under false/deceitful circumstances. Why would you want to begin your married life with lies?
  • Options
    Hi @mobkaz, I did say my fiance and I are not religious.  At this time in our lives, we don't go to church regularly and we were willing to give up a traditional ceremony to get married on the beach.  However, we both grew up going to church regularly, received all our sacraments, went to Catholic university, etc.  As I'm sure you know, when family and weddings get mixed things can get complicated.  Our parents are very important to us.

We do not plan to begin our married life with lies.  We are young and I am not so arrogant to say I know exactly what the future holds - such as how we will bring up our children with baptism, etc, or if religion will be apart of our lives again.  Who knows, maybe pre cana will bring us back to church.

As I've said many times, I appreciate everyone's replies and opinions.  I asked specifically about having 2 ceremonies and received lots of good advice about this. We are still 1.5 years out from our wedding and have plenty of time to make a decision, but when we do, it will be the right one for us and our future.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

The important part is that you don't opt to please your parents when it comes to faith.   You can put in a pink rose because that's your mom's favorite and you can make sure that Dean Martin is played to please FIL even if you don't like him.

But a ceremony of faith isn't about your parents.   It's about you two.  There are requirements for having the ceremony and they don't end when the event is over.   It's a life commmitment to each other and your faith and if you can't make that commitment, have a secular ceremony. 
    This. "Maybe religion will be a part of our lives in the future, who knows" is not a good enough reason to agree to the promises inherent in a Catholic wedding. If you're going to make the commitment, be serious. If you're not serious, don't make it.
  • Options

Hi mobkaz, I did say my fiance and I are not religious.  At this time in our lives, we don't go to church regularly and we were willing to give up a traditional ceremony to get married on the beach.  However, we both grew up going to church regularly, received all our sacraments, went to Catholic university, etc.  As I'm sure you know, when family and weddings get mixed things can get complicated.  Our parents are very important to us.

We do not plan to begin our married life with lies.  We are young and I am not so arrogant to say I know exactly what the future holds - such as how we will bring up our children with baptism, etc, or if religion will be apart of our lives again.  Who knows, maybe pre cana will bring us back to church.

As I've said many times, I appreciate everyone's replies and opinions.  I asked specifically about having 2 ceremonies and received lots of good advice about this. We are still 1.5 years out from our wedding and have plenty of time to make a decision, but when we do, it will be the right one for us and our future.

To the bolded, but in your vows you promise to baptize all children.  So you are lying right in your vows since at this point you don't know if you will baptize your children.  You also say that you don't know if religion will be apart of your lives.  So why put on the charade now?  If in the future you decide to go back to the Catholic Church, you can then obtain a Convalidation.  That puts you right back into Communion with the Church again.  And in the way you explain your life at this moment, if you went back to the Church, you would be the perfect candidates for the Convalidation because that is what it is for.  It is for people who have drifted away from the Church, but come back to it later in life.

Weddings can be stressful to plan, wading through each family's traditions - parent's wants/needs and the couple's wants/needs.  But the ceremony is 100% about the couple.  The parents should have no say in it whatsoever.  The ceremony only joins the couple, which is why the ceremony should be what the couple wants.  And based on your posts, your only reason for wanting to have a Catholic ceremony is to appease your parents.

• Options

banana468 said:

The important part is that you don't opt to please your parents when it comes to faith.   You can put in a pink rose because that's your mom's favorite and you can make sure that Dean Martin is played to please FIL even if you don't like him.

But a ceremony of faith isn't about your parents.   It's about you two.  There are requirements for having the ceremony and they don't end when the event is over.   It's a life commmitment to each other and your faith and if you can't make that commitment, have a secular ceremony. 
    This. "Maybe religion will be a part of our lives in the future, who knows" is not a good enough reason to agree to the promises inherent in a Catholic wedding. If you're going to make the commitment, be serious. If you're not serious, don't make it.
    Yes, the Catholic ceremony is about you and your FI making vows to each other before God with the priest as the Church's witness to them.This is an incredibly serious undertaking and why the Church treats it with the seriousness it does.

I personally don't get the cultural Catholics who want all the sacraments but don't want/intend to live the faith otherwise. If you can't sincerely take those vows and live them out, it's better not to make them.
  • Options
    geebee908 said:

banana468 said:

Yes, the Catholic ceremony is about you and your FI making vows to each other before God with the priest as the Church's witness to them.This is an incredibly serious undertaking and why the Church treats it with the seriousness it does.

I personally don't get the cultural Catholics who want all the sacraments but don't want/intend to live the faith otherwise. If you can't sincerely take those vows and live them out, it's better not to make them.
    which is why we didn't have a Catholic ceremony.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards