Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry questions -- lawn and garden stuff?

Hello! I have a couple quick questions, we are looking into buying a house and have zero outdoor maintenance type items. Is it tacky to register for items like shears, lawn mower, weed whacker, snow blower, rake/shovel/trowel or whatever type items? If not, are there brick and mortar stores that do registries for outdoor stuff or is amazon the only option? I very briefly checked out Sears but it was set up with outside merchandisers instead of just Sears stuff so I didn't even check if they had a registry. I didn't know if home depot or Lowes or anyone like that could do it. If they do, has anyone used them and how was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Registry questions -- lawn and garden stuff?

• Options
    I don't think that's tacky.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You can register for those items. I don't know what vendors besides Amazon have registries, though.
  • Options
    Thanks. Sometimes I get confused as to what will be side-eyed or not.
    I'll give amazon a try

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I believe it typically varies by location if those type of stores have registries. I believe most people who found them available, found in was only in the b&m, not online for home depot, Lowes, menards, etc. I've heard Sears doesn't allow hardlines ( tools, lawn and garden) on their registries, but that could have changed.

I don't think registering fur those items is tacky at all. They are for the home and couple, so it's all good.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    It's not tacky at all. I would avoid a bunch of super expensive items and try to keep a good variety of moderately priced things like hand tools.

Last I checked, some Lowe's do a registry, but it only works at that particular store. Sears does a normal registry, but since they've acquired Kmart, they've gotten weird. It could be worthwhile to stop in a Sears store to see what's there and what can go on the registry.

I hate Walmart for a lot of reasons, but they actually do have a decent garden section. Still, I'd take Amazon over Walmart any day of the week.
  • Options
    Hello! I have a couple quick questions, we are looking into buying a house and have zero outdoor maintenance type items. Is it tacky to register for items like shears, lawn mower, weed whacker, snow blower, rake/shovel/trowel or whatever type items? If not, are there brick and mortar stores that do registries for outdoor stuff or is amazon the only option? I very briefly checked out Sears but it was set up with outside merchandisers instead of just Sears stuff so I didn't even check if they had a registry. I didn't know if home depot or Lowes or anyone like that could do it. If they do, has anyone used them and how was your experience? Thanks in advance!
    I think registering for outdoor/lawn/garden items is totally fine.  If you're not married to a particular brand or style of shovel/rake/etc, I'd see if you can find a registry that will let you register non-specific items.  Such as... on amazon, (at least on my wishlist, I don't know if it's the same for registries) you can add an item like, "Yellow, king-size bedding" if you don't have a brand or style you prefer.  Then the buyer can find whatever bedding they want from amazon or any other store and gift it to you.  So you can add things like garden shears, water hose, garden gloves, and you might get duplicates of items and you might just get giftcards to Home Depot.  Could be fun.
  • Options
    Home Depot has a registry. Not sure if they have become better about things, but when I was getting married 3 years you had to register at a specific location and your list was only available at that location. Kind of sucks for those that prefer online shopping or don't live in the area. During the summer you can get some stuff at Target too and online, but it's only seasonal. But also put gift cards on your registry for stores like Home Depot or Lowes because you can always use those for the bigger ticket items like a lawn mower or snow blower.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I will surf around amazon and have some fun. Sounds like home depot is more trouble than it's worth.

Got it, no gift cards.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are in the same situation! Just bought our house and now I'm wondering what I should add to the registry.  FI wants a weed whacker and I was some gardening items.  We are putting those items on the Amazon registry, but we are also doing a Macy's registry for our more traditional items.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    klk111415 said:
    We are in the same situation! Just bought our house and now I'm wondering what I should add to the registry.  FI wants a weed whacker and I was some gardening items.  We are putting those items on the Amazon registry, but we are also doing a Macy's registry for our more traditional items.  Good luck! 
    We bought our house last September.  We have two used weed whackers, one from each of our parents.  Previous owners left us their electric mower and gas edger.  Dad brought over duplicates of shovels and rakes he had.  And I just broke down and bought myself hand tools like a little spade, fork, and clipper.  I've decided that nature is amazing and having a yard is the best!
  • Options
    @adk19  I hear you on that one! I'm probably going to register for clippers and some other items.  I spent the weekend using regular scissors to cut back our plants that were more like a jungle and it took forever! Can't wait to get the right tools to get the job done! :)
  • Options
    klk111415 said:
    @adk19  I hear you on that one! I'm probably going to register for clippers and some other items.  I spent the weekend using regular scissors to cut back our plants that were more like a jungle and it took forever! Can't wait to get the right tools to get the job done! :)
    Honestly, I'd suggest you both register for clippers AND buy yourself some tomorrow.  It might be a really good idea to have two.  I couldn't find mine on Saturday because I had left them not where they belonged and FH had taken something out of his car and put it on top of them.  Sunday I looked a little better and found them.  But it would have been better to have two.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards