Chit Chat
Options

Kentucky Clerk Jailed for Contempt of Court

Headline says it all.  Kim Davis, the Kentucky County Clerk who had defied order after order by courts to issue any marriage licenses, was found in contempt of court and arrested. 

Contempt can either be fines or jail time until such time that the person in contempt of court will start abiding by the court's orders.  The couples suing Davis only requested that she have to pay a fine per day, but the Judge had her arrested instead.  The hearing is on going and the rest of Davis' staff is also in Court to face the judge today.

I am glad the Judge decided on jail time, because if a fine were issued, you know that the bigoted groups would just pay her fine for her and it would not actually hurt her pocketbook.  But on the other hand, now she looks like a martyr for the religious nutjobs who don't know how to separate Church and State.

What do you all think?  Here is a link to the article I read: clicky.

Re: Kentucky Clerk Jailed for Contempt of Court

• Options
    My guess is she's doing this shit on purpose.  She saw what happened to those pizza parlor owners (went out of business but were given a shitload of money via donations)... so now she's looking to cash in.  She's definitely not a great example of the sanctity of marriage either.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    As she should be. I'm still a little peeved that she can't be fired or something because she's an elected official. She still isn't doing her job. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    She violated direct court order(s) so yeah she deserves to go to jail.  I don't give a crap if she believes that she found Jesus in her morning toast and he told her to do it.  When you don't follow the law you get arrested.  Period.  I have no sympathy for her.

• Options
    Good. 

I was pissed that she didn't face repercussions sooner. She should have been fired for failing to do her job. 

If she truly wanted to take a noble stand for her religion then she should have fucking resigned. Keeping her job but refusing to actually DO the job-- thus preventing couples from getting a marriage license-- is just hateful and gross. She needs to fuck off. Sorry but I have no tolerance for bigotry and hate that's poorly disguised with "religious" beliefs. 

But that $80K per year is probably making it a lot easier to stay in office and not do your job, than to resign.

It's also unlikely that the Legislature would have her impeached, which is one of the few ways to have her leave office, due to their beliefs - which are the same as hers.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Good.       

She has been married 4 times (all divorces). 

And same-sex marriage ruins the sanctity of marriage.  Yeah, okay, sure.

This was the part I found the most hysterical. For someone who has been married 4 times, she should probably shut her mouth about the sanctity of marriage. I believe everyone should be happy, and if you want to marry and re-marry, you do you. But FOUR TIMES that is extreme. And gays are the ones creating problems? Yeah, no.

I wish she could just be fired, but she can't because she was elected. Which begs the question- WHO ELECTED HER?!
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Good.       

This was the part I found the most hysterical. For someone who has been married 4 times, she should probably shut her mouth about the sanctity of marriage. I believe everyone should be happy, and if you want to marry and re-marry, you do you. But FOUR TIMES that is extreme. And gays are the ones creating problems? Yeah, no.

I wish she could just be fired, but she can't because she was elected. Which begs the question- WHO ELECTED HER?!
    Well apparently there are tons of people showing up outside the courthouse to protest her being jailed and they're waving bibles and anti-gay signs. So I'm guessing those people elected her. 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Good.       

Well apparently there are tons of people showing up outside the courthouse to protest her being jailed and they're waving bibles and anti-gay signs. So I'm guessing those people elected her. 
    Yup.  She was elected prior to gays being given the right to marry in every state so this issue certainly didn't come up when she was running for office.  And if it did it is obvious she was anti-gay marriage and the majority of the public in her town agreed with her.

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Good.       

I was reading a background on her yesterday.  After her third divorce she became a born again Christian, so basically her first 3 marriages don't exist in her mind.  Also, her 2nd and 4th H are the same man.  But I agree, how can you judge someone else potentially "violating" the sanctity of marriage, when you yourself are no example of marriage. 
  • Options
    Although it's a little creepy people went so far as to track when her children were born, apparently she got pregnant with her 4th husband while she was still married to her 3rd.

She is the epitome of a waste of space.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    Although it's a little creepy people went so far as to track when her children were born, apparently she got pregnant with her 4th husband while she was still married to her 3rd.

I read that she got knocked up by husband # 3 while she was still married to husband number one. When they got divorced she married husband number two, got divorced and married #3, then got divorced and married husband #4 who is also #2. Whew. I need a flow chart to keep that shit straight. But the gays are ruining the sanctity of marriage.
    That is what I heard too.  Although I didn't really do any research to confirm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

cj3561 said:

I read that she got knocked up by husband # 3 while she was still married to husband number one. When they got divorced she married husband number two, got divorced and married #3, then got divorced and married husband #4 who is also #2.

Whew. I need a flow chart to keep that shit straight.

But the gays are ruining the sanctity of marriage.
    This lady must be amazing to have 3 men wanting to marry her- one of them twice even. *eye roll*
  • Options
    edited September 2015

sarahufl said:

lyndausvi said:

Good.       

Yup.  She was elected prior to gays being given the right to marry in every state so this issue certainly didn't come up when she was running for office.  And if it did it is obvious she was anti-gay marriage and the majority of the public in her town agreed with her.

*********eta box********

Not to mention, her mom held the office before her for 34 years straight. It was practically an incumbent race. Her son is one of her deputy clerks, the only one who told the judge he would not issue ssm licenses. I hope he gets thrown in jail next.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I think if you are an elected official (which means you are a government employee) your job is to uphold the law. Laws change and new laws are entered in the books. If a law changes or there is a new law that your don't agree with and feel like it goes against your morals or religious beliefs, then you are no longer able to properly do your job and can resign.

• Options
    edited September 2015

lyndausvi said:

I wonder how my boss would feel if I told her my job was against my religious beliefs. I mean, I'm still gonna sit here and get paid. But when she requests something from me, she's not getting it. Because Jesus. 

Kind-of like one of the Duggar girls taking a job as a stripper and then not wanting to show their knees, because Jesus. 

ETA - I do realize that same-sex marriage was not legal when she was elected. But that doesn't change she took an oath to do her job.    If she can't then she needs to resign or be impeached.     

I do not want to live in a country where gov't workers can all the sudden decide one their own what laws/rules they will uphold and ones they don't do to their believes.

Can you imagine some extremist Muslim dude denying a woman a driver's license because he believes women should not drive?    Or what about the KKK guy who refused to file a property deed  because he thinks blacks should not be allowed to own property? 

There are some religious sects out there that have some extreme believes about women, gays, blacks, etc.   This sets a really bad precedence if she is allowed to deny something like a marriage license to a same-sex couple.

I always wonder, if she was a Muslim fundamentalist refusing to issue the licenses based on her religious values, would people be so strongly in support of her religious freedoms?

I think the first amendment is the most mis-understood of all 10.

Freedom of Speech means freedom to speak your mind without Government imprisonment, not freedom from repercussions for said speech.

Freedom of Religion means you can practice whichever religion you wish, and the government will not choose or impose a religion onto you.  It does not mean you can break the laws of the government because your God told you it was fine.

******eta box****

Except of course giving alcohol to minors and calling it blood ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Check out the Twitter account @nexttokimdavis. It is hysterical.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Check out the Twitter account @nexttokimdavis. It is hysterical.
    I was about to suggest the same exact thing!
  • Options
    BRING DIET DEW.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015

And popcorn.

• Options
    I feel like I read somewhere that gofundme won't allow those types of fundraisers anymore. So, her fat donation paycheck she was expecting won't be through them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards