Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cousin invited herself. Welp.

2»

Re: Cousin invited herself. Welp.

• Options
    When my bff told me she was having a destination wedding I had to work up the nerve to tell her that depending on my school schedule I wouldn't be able to come.  In fact, I told her it was very likely that I wouldn't be able to make it.  I would have been hurt if she had invited me and then rescinded the invitation because I thought I wouldn't be able to go.  In the end, I was able to make the trip, but I didn't know until about a month before.  It ended up being a fake ceremony, which is a whole different issue, but my point still stands.  

• Options
    It sounds like your cousin is using your wedding as an excuse to get away for a few days. It's not about you, its about her. You owe her nothing.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    It sounds like your cousin is using your wedding as an excuse to get away for a few days. It's not about you, its about her. You owe her nothing.

I totally agree with this.  If your cousin decided to take a trip to NYC, that will be on the cheap, because she is staying in an AirBnB with three other people, then good for her!  I don't blame her.  NYC is awesome.

So awesome in fact, that she should have no trouble finding something to do for the evening when everyone else is going to the wedding.

Although the verbal "would you go if we invited you" was definitely not the right thing to do to begin with, that ship sailed a long time ago and your cousin fully understands she was not invited and did not make her plane reservation in a misunderstanding.

All of my first cousins live far away from me.  I've been invited to some of their weddings and not invited to some of their weddings.  And that's all fine.  I would have been offended to be "sort of" asked, only to be told "then we won't invite you since you probably can't go".  But that would have closed the matter for me and made me more sure of my decision to not spend my time and money going to their wedding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards