Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bill Levkoff D'Zage Bridesmaid dress sizing help

Hi everyone! I recently took my cousin to get sized for her bridesmaid dress and we're a little worried about what size they told her to get. She's an odd shape for sure and they did measure her but the size they recommended is much larger than anything she's ever worn, by about 4 sizes. The samples they had only went up to a 14 so she wasn't able to try one on. Do these dresses run very small or something? It's a chiffon material. 

Re: Bill Levkoff D'Zage Bridesmaid dress sizing help

• Options

Chances are there's a measurements chart somewhere for D'Zage online that you can compare the measurements yourself (if you don't have them - a tape measure is $2 and they're incredibly easy to take yourself - wear whatever undergarments she plans to wear the day of your wedding - spanx, strapless, longline, etc. because that can greatly change the measurements!).  Bridal sizing is different than regular store sizing!  Also how the cut is can impact how it'll look/fit on her.  The rule of thumb is it's always easier to alter down than it is to go up, however she shouldn't order so big that she's going to double or more the price of the dress in alterations. 

http://www.lowsbridal.com/bridesmaids_sizes_d_zage.html is the size chart for D'Zage

• Options

I am a size 0-2 depending on the brand and I because of the shape/cut of my dress I had to order a size 8.

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm worried because she fits into 3 different size categories. The dress is tighter in the bust and then flows out from under it. I should have added it's a Bill Levkoff D'zage dress and I googled the designer and I read some people saying that they had issues with the store telling them to order a much larger size and then it came in and it was way too big and they had to spend hundreds in alterations and then the dress just looked weird. I'm not sure who to trust!  
  • Options
    She needs to order the largest size that matches any one of her measurements. For most women, this will be the waist because we don't wear corsets/girdles any more and patterns are still made as if we do. Then have it taken in where it is too large. If it is only fitted in the bust, that is the only place that will end up needing to be taken in, so it shouldn't be that expensive. I wear about 3 sizes up from what I normally buy in certain designers and basically all sewing patterns (which are pretty much universally still made to 50s and earlier era sizing standards.
  • Options
    Her waist is actually her smallest measurement. She has somewhat of an odd shape I guess and she's 4'11 so very short. She's 48", 44.5", 46". According to the designers size chart, her waist size is off the chart, it's an inch larger than their largest size which is a 28 but she has a dress from a wedding she was in last year and it's a size 16 and still fits her perfect. I know sizes range from designer to designer but that just seems crazy to me to be that big of a range! 
  • Options
    Her waist is actually her smallest measurement. She has somewhat of an odd shape I guess and she's 4'11 so very short. She's 48", 44.5", 46". According to the designers size chart, her waist size is off the chart, it's an inch larger than their largest size which is a 28 but she has a dress from a wedding she was in last year and it's a size 16 and still fits her perfect. I know sizes range from designer to designer but that just seems crazy to me to be that big of a range! 

16 to a 28 sounds like a crazy big difference!
  • Options
    I wore a Bill Levkoff dress in a size 18 for a friend's wedding, and I'm a size 10 in normal clothes. I was so worried about the sizing because of the numbers...but it ended up being a little snug. Get her what it says on the sizing chart (or the largest possible), and count on needing alterations.

FWIW I've worn everything from 8-20 for weddings, depending on designers. They specifically do it individually so it's harder to just order a cheap one offline, and then you need to actually go to a store/vendor and order it from them directly.

• Options
    Yes, waist is generally the smallest of the three measurements because that's how women's proportions work. I mean you buy according to the largest size that matches that measurement because designers still somehow expect women to have tiny waists. I even have an 'hourglass' figure and my waist still matches a size or two up from where my bust and hips are.
  • Options
    I found this with a quick google search. With your friend's measurement, she's a size 24 in the chest, size >28 in the waist, and size 20 in the hips. Measure again if you want, and compare it with the chart.

If the dress really does flow out completely from under the chest, you could maybe go with a size 24--although depending on the cut of the dress I'd definitely worry that the "flowy" part wouldn't actually be very flowy if the dress was too small. 

• Options
    Thanks again ladies! I'm going back to the store with her today just to double check. I'm also going to try the dress on myself because the one they have is a size 12 and I'm usually 6/8 in dresses so if the 12 fits me then I'll know that they do run large! 
  • Options
    Thanks again ladies! I'm going back to the store with her today just to double check. I'm also going to try the dress on myself because the one they have is a size 12 and I'm usually 6/8 in dresses so if the 12 fits me then I'll know that they do run large! 
    keep in mind store samples are very stretched out so even if the 12 is big it could be because the sample is stretched out.

for my wedding dress the sample was a 22 i am a 22 in bottoms an 18-24 in tops depending on fit. 

i measured 5 inches more than sample waist but measured a size 28 for the gown. she suggested i order the 26 because of the waist measurement.  dress came in and the only thing that didnt fit was the bust/top it was 3 sizes to big and had to be taken in several times to get it to fit right. if i had ordered the 28 i would have been looking at even more in $$$$ for alterations. 

if the dress is really structured i would get the largest measurement to be on the safe side or can you find another retailer who  has that particular dress in a larger size or any levkoff in larger sizes she can try on for fit?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards