Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to lose a 5 year friendship as a Bride

Let me just preface this by saying this is meant to be "tongue-in-cheek" however these all really happened over the course of my ex-friends 6 month engagement.  I wish I was creating MUD, but alas I am not.  (See a previous post about a friend asking to borrow money for her wedding gown)

1. Get engaged!

2. Choose a number of BM's that is equal to the number of GM's (aka, hold a casting call to decide who is good enough to be a prop on your big day).

3. Draft those Brideslaves to help cut out invitations, paste them onto cardstock and stuff the envelopes.  (Note, we did not volunteer, but were told to do this. I would have been fine helping but really I should have known already this was going to end badly)

4. Insist everyone go dress shopping together and then after having everyone spend $150 on their dresses beg them to help you pay for your gown too!!!  *Be sure not to discuss budgets before hand, as that might make you seem considerate.

5. Have your MOH plan your Bridal Shower without consulting the other BM's about availability and then just go with it when the other BM's can't attend.  (I know this is more on the MOH than the Bride, but seriously, there were three of us in the wedding party and the invite showed up four days before the RSVP date for a shower on a date that we had long standing plans for.  Like planned before she was even engaged!)

6. Draft your BM's husband to be a DJ and show up at his door 5 days before the wedding begging that he make up a play list for your big day.  Offer to pay him in a case of beer, and never "pay" him!

7. Get upset with you BM because they didn't book a place for everyone to get their hair done together (at their expense of course!).  Make sure to do this five days before the wedding for maximum panic and stress!

8. Tell your BM's about the rehearsal the night before and get mad when one woman shows up two minutes late because they got confused about the address.

9. Act like your BM's are not your friends because you are now in front of your family members and your friends "embarrass you".  Even go as far as to say how "immature" or "stupid" they are acting whenever a relative is in earshot.

10. On your wedding day, be sure to show up later than the BM's were forced to be there, but still four hours before the ceremony, and take absolutely no pictures or anything to warrant all this down time.

11. Tell your Sister/MOH that your other two BM's are "only there because [Husband] was supposed to ask his other two friends to be in the wedding but he forgot to." then smile at the friends who were OBVIOUSLY in the room at the time and add "hehe, no offense!" and just LOL about it.  Because they are just "props" after all!

12. Surprise the "DJ" with a  list of things you now want done.  Including introductions, spotlight dances, etc after assuring them that AM that it was just press play and let it go!

13. Spend your entire reception not once talking to your BM or asking them how the party is going, even though they are clearly not having a good time and are very hurt by your actions up to this point.

14. End the reception after just 1.5 hours because everyone else left already...yeah seriously this happened...I guess everyone knew something that we didn't.

15. Don't be too happy, after all, this was just your wedding day!

If you followed all these steps correctly congrats! You now have 'X number' fewer friends who never want to see you again!!!!

Re: How to lose a 5 year friendship as a Bride

• Options

In summary...I found out that my "friend" was not at all a friend.  We have since gone nearly three weeks without exchanging a single word and I doubt I can ever consider her a friend again.  If one or two of these things had happened, I might have shrugged it off, but in all reality, I'm glad it happened. I'm glad that I no longer have someone so toxic in my life, wasting my time.

Future brides, I beg of you, please do not do this to the people you love.  A bridesmaid is supposed to be one of your best friends...someone you treasure and can't imagine being married without them by your side.  Doing this to anyone is terrible, but a best friend???  Just because you are getting married does not give you a pass to be an ass. 

A final thought, she was one of my BM's when I got married two years ago.  She was a friend for six years and she often referred to us being like sisters.

• Options

Let me just preface this by saying this is meant to be "tongue-in-cheek" however these all really happened over the course of my ex-friends 6 month engagement.  I wish I was creating MUD, but alas I am not.  (See a previous post about a friend asking to borrow money for her wedding gown)

1. Get engaged!

2. Choose a number of BM's that is equal to the number of GM's (aka, hold a casting call to decide who is good enough to be a prop on your big day).

3. Draft those Brideslaves to help cut out invitations, paste them onto cardstock and stuff the envelopes.  (Note, we did not volunteer, but were told to do this. I would have been fine helping but really I should have known already this was going to end badly)

4. Insist everyone go dress shopping together and then after having everyone spend $150 on their dresses beg them to help you pay for your gown too!!!  *Be sure not to discuss budgets before hand, as that might make you seem considerate.

5. Have your MOH plan your Bridal Shower without consulting the other BM's about availability and then just go with it when the other BM's can't attend.  (I know this is more on the MOH than the Bride, but seriously, there were three of us in the wedding party and the invite showed up four days before the RSVP date for a shower on a date that we had long standing plans for.  Like planned before she was even engaged!)

6. Draft your BM's husband to be a DJ and show up at his door 5 days before the wedding begging that he make up a play list for your big day.  Offer to pay him in a case of beer, and never "pay" him!

7. Get upset with you BM because they didn't book a place for everyone to get their hair done together (at their expense of course!).  Make sure to do this five days before the wedding for maximum panic and stress!

8. Tell your BM's about the rehearsal the night before and get mad when one woman shows up two minutes late because they got confused about the address.

9. Act like your BM's are not your friends because you are now in front of your family members and your friends "embarrass you".  Even go as far as to say how "immature" or "stupid" they are acting whenever a relative is in earshot.

10. On your wedding day, be sure to show up later than the BM's were forced to be there, but still four hours before the ceremony, and take absolutely no pictures or anything to warrant all this down time.

11. Tell your Sister/MOH that your other two BM's are "only there because [Husband] was supposed to ask his other two friends to be in the wedding but he forgot to." then smile at the friends who were OBVIOUSLY in the room at the time and add "hehe, no offense!" and just LOL about it.  Because they are just "props" after all!

12. Surprise the "DJ" with a  list of things you now want done.  Including introductions, spotlight dances, etc after assuring them that AM that it was just press play and let it go!

13. Spend your entire reception not once talking to your BM or asking them how the party is going, even though they are clearly not having a good time and are very hurt by your actions up to this point.

14. End the reception after just 1.5 hours because everyone else left already...yeah seriously this happened...I guess everyone knew something that we didn't.

15. Don't be too happy, after all, this was just your wedding day!

If you followed all these steps correctly congrats! You now have 'X number' fewer friends who never want to see you again!!!!cowgirl8238 said:

In summary...I found out that my "friend" was not at all a friend.  We have since gone nearly three weeks without exchanging a single word and I doubt I can ever consider her a friend again.  If one or two of these things had happened, I might have shrugged it off, but in all reality, I'm glad it happened. I'm glad that I no longer have someone so toxic in my life, wasting my time.

Future brides, I beg of you, please do not do this to the people you love.  A bridesmaid is supposed to be one of your best friends...someone you treasure and can't imagine being married without them by your side.  Doing this to anyone is terrible, but a best friend???  Just because you are getting married does not give you a pass to be an ass. 

A final thought, she was one of my BM's when I got married two years ago.  She was a friend for six years and she often referred to us being like sisters.

This does sound like a bad experience, but honestly they didn't need to consult on your availability about the shower if you weren't hosting. It's not a must to have the BMs present. Hey, bright side is you didn't have to buy a shower gift on top of all the rest!
  • Options
    This does sound like a bad experience, but honestly they didn't need to consult on your availability about the shower if you weren't hosting. It's not a must to have the BMs present. Hey, bright side is you didn't have to buy a shower gift on top of all the rest!
    It sounds like this bride absolutely expected all her props BMs to attend everything.
  • Options

In all honesty, that wasn't as big a deal to me as it was the Bride...and really I was just like "oh well, guess I'm not going to that!" 

-as a side, my shower was in a different state so when 3 out of 4 couldn't attend it was no big deal to me, I was expecting that to happen.  The biggest difference there was that I didn't make anyone feel shitty about it.

• Options

While my experience wasn't as bad as yours.  I too had a similar thing happen while I was a BM.  And at the end me and two other BMs were no longer friends with the bride.  We were a group of 4 friends, but we are now down to 3.  We know we are better off too!

After a year or so, bride tried to re-kindle the friendship with the other two BM, but not me.  They told her we were a packaged deal and she had to talk to me too.  That was a bigger calamity because I found out she never really considered me a friend.  She felt I never tried to offer her advice, I did things purposefully to try and embarrass her, etc.  I also found out I was a pity BM invite because she didn't want me to be left out.  Ok, tell me how you really feel!  LOL!  I did counter every single one of her examples as to why we were never really friends with examples of my of own that contradicted everyone of her examples.  So I wished her the best and told her good luck in her life.  I then blocked her on FB.

Another year or 2 passes.  A friend on FB posted a meme that states something about if you are friends with someone for 10 years, the friendship will last a lifetime.  Well a mutual friend of mine and the other 2 BM liked or commented on the meme.  So it showed up in the bride's feed.  She then promptly group messaged me and the other 2 BMs about how that is false because our friendship didn't last, etc.  I never saw it, I had her blocked, but my other friends told me about it.  It was decided no one would respond to her.  It was apparent that she never took responsibility for her role in our friendship dissolving, so why try and engage her.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  You took a lot more abuse than I would have tolerated.  Consider the money you paid to be a BM to be the price to paid to see the "real" person behind your friend.

• Options
    What a shitshow. I'm sorry that getting married turned your ex-friend into a shameful excuse for a human being.
  • Options
    Ugh, OP and PP I'm sorry that all happened to you.

Life is so much nicer without drama though. Sometimes it's a relief to see someone's true colors and have reason to walk away. 

• Options
    Ugh, OP and PP I'm sorry that all happened to you.

Life is so much nicer without drama though. Sometimes it's a relief to see someone's true colors and have reason to walk away. 

That is exactly the way I felt...I mean I was hurt at the time when she basically called us props...but after a few days it just felt better knowing that that is who she really was.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

In all honesty, that wasn't as big a deal to me as it was the Bride...and really I was just like "oh well, guess I'm not going to that!" 

-as a side, my shower was in a different state so when 3 out of 4 couldn't attend it was no big deal to me, I was expecting that to happen.  The biggest difference there was that I didn't make anyone feel shitty about it.

I was in a wedding a few years ago and as it turned out only the MOH could make it, us other 3 BMs all had separate prior engagements that day. I felt bad but she was ok with it (or at least never said anything)
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ugh.

At least you know this person's true colours and can keep that drama out if your life. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards