Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Catholic Ceremony Music - Don't even know where to start.

Hey everyone. I'm getting married on New Years Eve, Catholic Ceremony first (no Mass as my fiance is not Catholic). Neither of us are particularly religious, I am doing this for personal reasons and because it is important to me and my family. 

I am stuck and have no idea where to even begin with music. Specifically what to walk down the isle to. This is such an important moment and music plays a big role in both of our lives, so I want it to be meaningful to US.

I should also mention that we have a phenomenal singer. She's incredible, flawless. So i obviously want to use her in every way possible because it will enhance the atmosphere. 

Suggestions are very appreciated!!!!!!!! 

Re: Catholic Ceremony Music - Don't even know where to start.

• Options
    Start by talking to whoever is in charge of the music at the church!
  • Options
    Hey everyone. I'm getting married on New Years Eve, Catholic Ceremony first (no Mass as my fiance is not Catholic). Neither of us are particularly religious, I am doing this for personal reasons and because it is important to me and my family. 

I am stuck and have no idea where to even begin with music. Specifically what to walk down the isle to. This is such an important moment and music plays a big role in both of our lives, so I want it to be meaningful to US.

I should also mention that we have a phenomenal singer. She's incredible, flawless. So i obviously want to use her in every way possible because it will enhance the atmosphere. 

Suggestions are very appreciated!!!!!!!! 
    Starmoon is right - your parish's music director will have plenty of suggestions, which you may like or you may hate, depending on your style. So I'm going to copy my comment from the next discussion down on the board.
    There is plenty of beautiful music out there that can be appropriate for the liturgy. I work for the Catholic Church and so was kind of nerdy about my sacred music choices, but I just took the time to troll YouTube for awesome arrangements of different hymns (and the one we used for the bridal entrance was just an elaborate organ version of the song we then continued with lyrics as the opening song, because in my experience trying to do a separate opening song after the processional is just stilted and awkward). Have fun with it, and find some gorgeous music.

Steven Warner has some songs you might like, if you like the instrumental Thousand Years. 
    I'll add the actual YouTube video for context, a portion of which was our bridal entrance/processional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouiz0qk_K3Y. (You can message me if you want the sheet music the composer sent me in order to give to an organist/keyboardist.) The hymn is called Hyfrydol, and there are numerous sets of lyrics set to it, but we just did the first verse of Love Divine, All Loves Excelling as the opening song for Mass. As your FI isn't Catholic, you may not be doing a full Mass, and you may not even need an opening song, in which case I think it still makes a good processional.