Wedding Woes
Options

Whaaaaaaa?

Dear Prudence,
I need an unbiased opinion over whether I’m overreacting. My 8-year-old daughter Grace received a kitten for her birthday and loves her cat Pasta very much. She’s been talking about Pasta frequently at school, and this annoyed a girl named Holly, who has a history of saying mean things to Grace. During art period, Holly made a clay cat and encouraged the rest of their classmates to take pieces of “Pasta” to “eat.” Grace cried, and the teacher eventually alerted the vice principal. My husband and I have a meeting with Holly’s parents and the school this week, but I know several other parents in the class think this is an overreaction. They’ll allow it was not nice but claim no one knew how upset Grace would become. Are my husband and I out of line for thinking this is bullying that needs to be addressed, at least at an administrative level?

—Class “Butcher”

Re: Whaaaaaaa?

• Options

I think MrsConns title says it all!

• Options
    One bad incident isn't in itself bullying.   Bullying becomes a pattern of behavior and is usually not one bad afternoon - at least not in an 8 year old classroom under proper adult supervision.

The parents need to figure out what they're addressing.   Is it Holly's pattern of behavior saying mean things to Grace that CULMINATED in the "eat the cat" incident or do they want to talk about one thing??   

• Options
    Joney said:

It sounds like Grace is more sensitive than most kids, and Holly picked up on that.  
    I think this is the crux of the issue.  And yes, if Holly is being cruel, it should be addressed.  But more so to me, LW needs to use this as a tool for Grace to learn coping strategies and how to manage her feelings.   
  • Options
    I think as kids grow up they have to start learning how to deal with conflict. There are situations where parents should step in, but we are really taking away the normal skills of kids to figure stuff out. I see it everyday.
  • Options
    This sounds more like the creepy things kids do post to me.

6fsn said:
    The cat's name is pasta. Of course they wanted to eat it. 
    This cracked me up!!
  • Options
    Joney said:
    If this was just one of multiple incidences where Holly orchestrated the entire class to do something that was distressing to Grace, then I would think a discussion is in order.  Not really because of this extremely *weird* stunt, but more because being ganged up on by your entire class over an extended period of time is bullying.

It sounds like Grace is more sensitive than most, and Holly picked up on that.  Instead of LW getting the administration involved, I think she should talk to her daughter about strategies to ignore this type of behaviour.  I bet it would have been a lot less funny for Holly had Grace stood up a asked for her own piece of clay "Pasta".
    Because I have "that kid" with the eldest (She's pure Indigo child), it's easy to say as adults/parents with the adult brain and perspective to many of these things what to do.  That won't help a sensitive kid figure out their way in the world nor how to actually "toughen up" without completely hardening them to the world.  

This coming from the parent who went to the school office this week for a "Have a non-intervention intervention you need to know about the situation between DD and (boy) is bubbling up again, just to let them both know they're still being watched for the what's likely just 6th grade drama (because we had tears and a girl who didn't want to go to school because of meany-head last week and I'm here after she missed the bus trying to get out of coming to school and unlucky for her, she's got the parents who unless she's got exclusionary criteria she's going...)"..  Amazing how things magically got better once DD had a chat with the Principal!

...and yes, metaphorically taking chunks and eating the cat - in American Culture - is creepy AF...