Wedding Woes
Options

Is it Thursday?

I swear I'm having a hard time keeping track of what day it is. The quitting went well, although they emailed me this morning to ask to make a counter offer. I'm ignoring that for now. 

We're meeting with a realtor tomorrow to start the process of selling. Does anyone have tips about selling a home? We're flying a little blind on this one. 

Happy Prudie Day!

Re: Is it Thursday?

• Options
    @charlotte989875  Couple things my parents did when they sold their house was do a refresher coat of paint. They were both smokers, and even though the house didn't smell they felt it would make it look better also.
    My mum changed all curtains to plain ones when photos were taken, and when there was a call for a showing my dad and I would change the cat litter box and spray febreeze in the living room, garbage and cat box area. We used "fresh linen" since it's a lighter scent.
  • Options
    I'm sure @short+sassy will have some tips for you. Congrats on the request to counter!

I was turned down for yet another job I interviewed for. I really just want to give up. I feel utterly...I don't know what word I'm looking for, is there a word that encompasses useless, failure, unliked, and dumb? If so, insert that word there.

H and I had a talk last night about how he needs to rethink his priorities. He texted me yesterday apologizing for no "sexy time" because he had a goal he was trying to accomplish on his video game. He doesn't see that as him prioritizing a game over me. 

I'm just really down today. Damn PMS.
  • Options
    Not much last night. M and I have been binge watching "The Ranch" - has anyone seen it? It's hilarious!

I cooked chicken last night, but neither of us ate. Well, I snacked and then had a bowl of cereal. Angel was pissed I didn't share the last dregs of milk, but I really wanted it for some reason lol

Tonight is groceries and we're discussing budget stuff because M wants to look at competition shooting next year. He wants to upgrade his gun and scope - the 308 apparently isn't comp worthy? - so we're trying to figure out how that could work AND if I'm pregnant this year. Affordability basically.

M is also talking to pharmacist about the nicorette patches to help him quit smoking, because doing the math that money could go to helping his savings and paying off debt. I think putting that amount into physical money really helped.

Starting tomorrow, our office is closing at 3pm on Fridays. I booked my massage for tomorrow, so I'm pretty excited.
    Saturday looks like rain, but really hoping it's not because my mum, M and I are taking my mum's coworker kids to the splash pad and ice cream. Hopefully the weather holds out.

Sunday we're going back to doing stuff around the house. M is going to the range and then we're going to Rona for these air barriers for the plugs. Hopefully we can get energy audit people back to get that rebate sooner.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2017
    Woohoo on moving things along.  Congrats on the job. 

I found the real estate process stressful.  When we sold our house, we purged and purged, and purge some more Then, we rented a storage unit.  We basically took half the furniture out of our house to make it look bigger (it was a 1300 sq ft house).  We painted our bedroom and the kiddo's room (ours had never been painted and the kiddos bedroom walls had some damage we had to patch and then paint over) and we bought paint to do touch up work in the hallway and DefConn's room.  We had the carpet professionally cleaned.  Other than that, we didn't put too much $$ into fixing anything up.  Oh, we did put in a new garage door opener since ours crapped out and we didn't fix it for years. Deep clean your house and then try to keep yourself disciplined to have the house 'show ready' in 20 min or less.  Since you are listing after the 4th and before school starts, I'd try to get your RE agent to schedule and open house as soon as the house is listed.  Your agent should know how fast the houses in your neighborhood are selling (I know of a few places where houses are selling pre-market).  Also, rely on recs from trusted people to hire a RE agent.  

Today is my Monday and Thursday.  ;) Other than that, SSDD.  Yay for an extremely short week.  

• Options
    @DrillSergeantCat  :( *hugs* something will come around and it will be amazing, I swear!
  • Options
    Loser. That's the word I was looking for.
  • Options

Loser. That's the word I was looking for.

You are not!
  • Options
    I'm sorry, @DrillSergeantCat. Keep your chin up - something fantastically awesome will definitely come around for you!!! 

Back at work from my long weekend for the 4th. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday H & I mostly just got a bunch of stuff done around the house and relaxed. Saturday afternoon I started getting the blues something fierce - just hormones combined with feeling lonely - so H took me to a nearby farm for homemade ice cream and then my favorite lobster roll place for a New England style roll with onion rings. 

Monday we hung out with friends in our old neighborhood (the 3rd is the Big Day there - fireworks, giant bonfire on the beach, etc.) It was a blast. 

Tuesday we went down the Cape to visit H's parents and uncle. SIL was being an absolute witch and was snapping at me all afternoon for no reason, among other lovely behaviors. Then their dog bit our puppy and they didn't apologize (not out of character for their dog - he has bit H's sister's smaller dog, our previous dog, me, and a child at a birthday party for one of their kids). They're absolute peaches, I tell you. So we skedaddled home and had burgers and grilled corn by ourselves. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I was literally just wondering what day it was.

@charlotte- CLEAN, PURGE, ORGANIZE.  Take unseasonal items out of the closet and pack.  Straighten everything that is left.  Wipe cabinets and windows.  Touch up paint.  Get it on the market QUICK if you aren't in a hot market.  Clear counters. Take down personal items.  I always had laundry baskets for last minute showings- run through the house and anything on the floor went in the basket and into the trunk of the car.  I'd also dump my dirty laundry in the washing machine.  People will open closets and drawers and cabinets. 

I've been having incredibly heavy periods (like a tampon and pad aren't enough to last 2 hrs).  My labwork was all normal so today I'm going in for an internal ultrasound then I don't know what if that's normal.
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat it's a weird and wonky path to success. You are loved and needed and I'm sorry you're feeling these ways but you are most definitely  not a failure. 
    @charlotte989875 I'm so glad quitting went well! Sorry, I have no advice on the home front. 
    @MissKittyDanger good vibes for M quitting. 

I'm donating plasma today. Every single time they confirm with me that they're not going to pay me at least 4 times leading up to the donation. It irritates me but then I think that a lot of people probably expect payment and take frustration over no payment out on the nurses. Other than that, SSDD
  • Options
    @NiceKindaSpice  Thanks! This won't be easy for him, but it's long overdue lol He smoked before, but not long enough to need the nic patches and quit cold turkey {also wasn't easy but it was done}
  • Options
    @6fsn  I'm sure ultrasound will show something. My mum had issues and then found out she had cysts that were choking her ovaries. She got surgery to remove the worst one and that basically stopped everything.
    Do you get bad cramps too?
  • Options

I'm sure @short+sassy will have some tips for you. Congrats on the request to counter!

I was turned down for yet another job I interviewed for. I really just want to give up. I feel utterly...I don't know what word I'm looking for, is there a word that encompasses useless, failure, unliked, and dumb? If so, insert that word there.

H and I had a talk last night about how he needs to rethink his priorities. He texted me yesterday apologizing for no "sexy time" because he had a goal he was trying to accomplish on his video game. He doesn't see that as him prioritizing a game over me. 

I'm just really down today. Damn PMS.

I worry my H is going through the same thing.  He has gone on a lot of interviews over the last couple years, but nothing has come of it.

I know it's really frustrating, but you are decidedly NOT a loser!  I don't even have to know you IRL to know that.  Sometimes it just takes longer than it should to find the right "fit".  And, unfortunately, there is usually a lot of competition out there.

If you haven't already, perhaps read up on interviewing advice?  Practice interviewing with a friend who isn't afraid to give you some tweaks (if needed).

Maybe take a break to "refresh", but set a specific date to resume your job hunt.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lol, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I've actually never sold a house.  But I have been a frequent buyer and wish I had a dollar for every showing I've ever gone on!

Other PPs have definitely hit some of the main points.  Keep the house and appliances super clean, impersonal, and minimal furnishings.  Repainting can also really freshen up rooms for a relatively low cost (if DIY'ed).  Even just repainting the trim can make a big difference in appearance.

I've read in a number of articles that one of the best "bang for your buck" replacement items when selling a house is a new front door (if needed).  On that topic, are there other ways to enhance curb appeal?  More flowers/bushes...filling in a few bare spots in the grass, etc.

Some other relatively low cost items, but can have a good visual impact, are new drawer pulls and faucets in the kitchen and bathrooms (if needed).

Put together a binder on whatever information and repair/upgrade history you have for the house.  For example, the specific brand and paint colors used in each room.  Specific brand and name for the flooring.  Dates the HVAC has been serviced and contact info for the company used.  Owner's manuals.  That kind of thing.  And leave the binder on the kitchen counter for showings.  It's unusual to see that, which just makes it all the more powerful.  Buyers will assume you all are detailed and have maintained the house well. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

6fsn said:

I've been having incredibly heavy periods (like a tampon and pad aren't enough to last 2 hrs).  My labwork was all normal so today I'm going in for an internal ultrasound then I don't know what if that's normal.

Might be fibroids.      

The older I got, the worse my periods got.    Now I'm in pre-menopausal world.   Never know when it will come, but when it does it's like a damn waterfall for a day or so.  Then just like that it would stop.  Ah the joys of womanhood.

@DrillSergeantCat -  chin up girl.   The right job will come you way.

Today is a much needed day off.  I worked from 6:30am until 9:30pm on the 4th. Then back in at 7am yesterday until 6pm.  I'm spent. Suppose to go hiking with my niece.  She is still sleeping.   That girl can sleep I tell you.    I'm a early morning hiker, soon I will be unmotivated to hike.  Ha.

After hiking I really need to get ready for a house guest (friend of DH's) who is coming next week.   

Today I was offered the Thursday hiking guide position.  I guess they had to make some scheduling changes.  Not sure who got the boot.     Yay, getting paid to do what I love!    Sent an email to my boss to see if he would let me off on Thursdays to do the hike.  Just waiting to hear back.   I'm sure he would be happy to have one less day to schedule me to work.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

DSC - Hugs.  My BFFs H has been job searching for a few years since he got his MBA.  Recently he was in final competition for a job and they gave it to his intern.  Ouch!  You will find something!

MKD - M should look into hypnosis.  If he will believe it will work, it can be an instant smoke stopper.  But you HAVE to believe it will work, or it doesn't.  I have a friend who stopped smoking that way and another who got his anger management problem under control.  2nd person is like a whole new man!  Or what about vaping?  I have a co-worker who stopped that way and then reduced her nicotine intake until it was very minimal.  She hasn't stopped vaping, but said she plans to.

Charlotte - Pack all personal items and personal decorations first.  Do a fresh coat of paint if your colors aren't neutral.  My realtor basically walked through my house and told me what to get rid of.  Keep kitchen counters as clear as possible.  Put into storage any extra furniture to make the rooms look bigger.

Today is another crazy day.  This is probably a post and run.  I needed to take a quick mental health break.

Today is H birthday.  I am making a beef brisket in the crock pot.  I've never made brisket before.  It's H favorite cut of beef and I'm scared I will mess it up!  Fingers crossed it comes out ok! Its also an expensive cut to mess up!

I'm trying to think of something fun and cheap for H and I to do tonight, but I'm not coming up with anything.

I also think Friday will be just as crazy at work as today :(

• Options
    @OliveOilsMom  I'm actually not sure on where M stands with hypnosis tbh. I'll have to talk to him. I know sauna/steam rooms are good for quitting also.
    He considered vaping but we both figured he won't quit with that, he's gonna look at the nicorette stick.

Other than health and smell, the biggest thing I hate about M smoking is that his family doesn't know. They would be piiiiisssssedddd if they knew, so it's like a whole lie about it.
  • Options
    @drillsergeantcat, my H is an avid avid AVID video gamer.  He's good at not playing the xbox with me at home (just when I'm at work apparently) but his phone games are almost always on! It's annoying and I feel you, girl.  FX that a job comes your way soon too.
    @misskittydanger, I tried to get into the ranch.  It was a decent story line but I didn't find much humor in it....

I went to pick up my car yesterday.  I got talked into buying this:
    https://www.mazdausa.com/mazda-extended-confidence

He made it sound that it covers everything, not just the bumper to bumper, and it came with the tire/wheel so if anything happened while traveling on the road too (even in Canada) they put me up in a hotel and everything.  I got home to read it some more and found out I just pretty much paid for an extended warranty (which I don't normally do).  I feel duped.  I did talk him down from $26 to $15 a month for it.  Actually - it didn't take much.
    "get this confidence package. it's $26/month"
    "no"
    "why not?  It's a very good thing to have."
    "I'm on a tight budget. I like where i'm at in my car payment"
    "what if i got it down to $15 a month?"
    "okay"

Goddamn I'm so easy!!!!

• Options
    @CharmedPam  Really? We love it. Reminds me a lot of 'That 70s Show'
    Also great job about talking him down ;)
  • Options
    Happy Thursday everyone! Almost there :) 
    @DrillSergeantCat Don't be so hard on yourself! I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason". I'm sure the universe just has something bigger and better for you than what's been presented so far.

Last night was crazy! We have less than a month til we move and FMIL is literally going insane with grief that her only son is moving away. We did a weekend at the cottage with her last week to get some time in with her, with the intention that we'll only see her again during our goodbye party the weekend before we go. We're so insanely busy this month trying to see everyone before we leave (both of our parents are divorced) but she's trying to inject herself in all of our plans. Last night she called FI crying and hysterical because she's not invited to FI's stepsisters birthday weekend (It's going to be a bunch of 20-somethings partying, no parents are invited). 

After hours of phone arguing between the three of them she somehow managed to get invited. I'm trying hard not to be resentful, because a part of me feels sad I'm not seeing my family as much as we're seeing her before we go.

Anyways, sorry for the novel - felt good to vent :)
  • Options

@drillsergeantcat, my H is an avid avid AVID video gamer.  He's good at not playing the xbox with me at home (just when I'm at work apparently) but his phone games are almost always on! It's annoying and I feel you, girl.  FX that a job comes your way soon too.
    @misskittydanger, I tried to get into the ranch.  It was a decent story line but I didn't find much humor in it....

He made it sound that it covers everything, not just the bumper to bumper, and it came with the tire/wheel so if anything happened while traveling on the road too (even in Canada) they put me up in a hotel and everything.  I got home to read it some more and found out I just pretty much paid for an extended warranty (which I don't normally do).  I feel duped.  I did talk him down from $26 to $15 a month for it.  Actually - it didn't take much.
    "no"
    "okay"

Goddamn I'm so easy!!!!

I'd think you could still cancel it if you don't want the "Extended Confidence" anymore.

I bought a used car a number of years ago.  The sales guy offered me an after market "bumper to bumper" warranty for $2100.  I told him I did plan to buy an after market warranty, but had already done my research and scoped one out.  That was exactly the same.  For $1200.  He told me he couldn't go as low as $1200, but could do $1300 and then I could also finance it within my loan.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  He dropped the price for the warranty by $900 in one minute (eye roll).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

"no"
    "okay"

Goddamn I'm so easy!!!!

I'd think you could still cancel it if you don't want the "Extended Confidence" anymore.

I bought a used car a number of years ago.  The sales guy offered me an after market "bumper to bumper" warranty for $2100.  I told him I did plan to buy an after market warranty, but had already done my research and scoped one out.  That was exactly the same.  For $1200.  He told me he couldn't go as low as $1200, but could do $1300 and then I could also finance it within my loan.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  He dropped the price for the warranty by $900 in one minute (eye roll).

yes.  that's the thing! I know I'm paying the regular price for it.  They give an upcharge number, knowing someone would say no and then they can drop it to what they really want to sell it for.  He's also like "I can give you the allstate discount and talk to Cody (sales rep) and see if I can give you my own personal employee discount"

enters it into the computer without even consulting anyone. BAM.

He did scare me with the idea of any sensor going out....because the regular bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover sensors and my car is pretty censored out!  I'm kinda sorta thinking of keeping it....but I dunno!

• Options
    @charlotte989875 glad the quitting went well!  Fingers crossed on a fast home sale!

@DrillSergeantCat I have been there.  I applied for over 100 jobs before I got my current job.  I had actually applied for it in September and didn't get a call until January.  Keep your head up, and on your bad days do something you're good, or something to rev up your endorphins  for a nice pick me up.

TBH I'd try and cancel @CharmedPam.  I'm of the opinion that extended warranties are crap; they only cover manufacturer defects and if you're not doing all of the maintenance things when requested, your warranty is voided. For example, many manufacturers specify a brand of oil to be used in oil changes that can only be found at their dealerships so if you've ever gotten an oil change elsewhere- that warranty you paid for is gone.

I'm WFH today and the pup is barking like crazy and I don't know why.  I think it's because she wants to cuddle, but I can't manage a laptop and 55 lb lapdog at the same time.  I love July 4th week; it's so slow and quiet.  I also need to start working on my counter letter, I have no idea where to start!
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @DrillSergeantCat awww that stinks. Job searching stinks, especially if you're ready to get out asap. I know it took me a couple years to land where I am today after applying for all sorts of positions
    @charlotte989875 did you and H both get jobs? 
    @MissKittyDanger hope the patch works for your H! Turning things like that into real dollars hopefully helps him realize the importance of quitting even if not for health reasons

Nothing much here, swamped at work but no motivation to do it. 7/31 deadline looming for tons of stuff so I have to get moving asap. Instead I just keep looking at pix of my little man from this morning and this weekend because he cracks me up
  • Options
    @kvruns  It definitely made him realize how much he was spending. Like $15 per pack and he easily goes through a pack a day {guhhh} Roughly that's $450 per month ... so he wants to get a new scope? That's about $900 ish, so quitting would put half the amount BACK in his pocket lol
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    $15 per day? WOW
  • Options

kvruns said:

$15 per day? WOW

That's a rough estimate, but yeh basically. I nearly had a heart attack when he told me that.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger As an ex smoker who LOVED smoking, all I can tell you is the easiest/best way to quit is to mentally be done and ready.  I tried a million times and it never stuck until I walked a 5k with my family (after a night of heavy partying admittedly) and struggled at the end of the walk.  That's when I knew I was too young to feel like that after walking 3 plus miles.  I decided then and there that I was done and I was.

It wasn't easy, still isn't always easy.  It's been 6 years and on July 4th I wanted a cigarette so bad!  My other advice to him is to figure out how he's motivated and use it.  I posted on FB about it all the time so that way if I went back I'd have to face people and I also celebrated the small milestones.  One year of not smoking starts with one day, so why not be proud?
  • Options

@MissKittyDanger As an ex smoker who LOVED smoking, all I can tell you is the easiest/best way to quit is to mentally be done and ready.  I tried a million times and it never stuck until I walked a 5k with my family (after a night of heavy partying admittedly) and struggled at the end of the walk.  That's when I knew I was too young to feel like that after walking 3 plus miles.  I decided then and there that I was done and I was.

It wasn't easy, still isn't always easy.  It's been 6 years and on July 4th I wanted a cigarette so bad!  My other advice to him is to figure out how he's motivated and use it.  I posted on FB about it all the time so that way if I went back I'd have to face people and I also celebrated the small milestones.  One year of not smoking starts with one day, so why not be proud?

100% all of this! Majority of our friends don't smoke, so hanging out with people won't be hard. One of our friends quit smoking, so they can whine together ;)

I know it's not easy, and that's why I want him to talk to a pharmacist and get the right nico patch and something else {inhaler? gum? spray? idk} if needed.
    It won't be easy, and I'm gonna try my best to be lenient if he's cranky .... but tbh I have low patience for when he's cranky and he knows this.
  • Options

@MissKittyDanger, sometimes you'll run across fun stories/articles where ex-smokers, every day, will take the money they would normally have spent on pack(s) and put it in a piggy bank instead.  With a savings goal for something they want.  Perhaps that would be motivation for M?

A heartwarming story I heard on that was a grandfather, who'd been smoking 40+ years, wanted to quit for his grandkids.  His financial goal for his "cigarette money" was to take all his kids/grandkids to Disney World.  He achieved it in less than two years and marveled at how much he'd been spending on cigarettes without realizing it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

kvruns said:

$15 per day? WOW

That's a rough estimate, but yeh basically. I nearly had a heart attack when he told me that.

you're Canadian right?  yup.  That's how much it costs to smoke in Canada.  Keep in mind they get 25 cigs instead of the 20 here, in America.